Got some junk inside my RX10 lens :(

Started Oct 30, 2016 | Discussions
cchen2
cchen2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,226
Got some junk inside my RX10 lens :(

Bummer... As you guys can see from the images below, somehow I managed to get some possible condensation or fungi on the inside of my RX10 lens.  It isn't as bad as it looks- I lifted the shadows so you could see it.  And I haven't seen any effects on the quality of images that I take.  But its definitely there, and I don't know what might have happened to cause it.  I'm pretty careful with it, falls from rocks, not withstanding.  Probably have only gotten it a little bit wet at times- less than 4x that I am aware of, and never very much.  Have a UV filter always attached. Store it in my dry house in Ohio.  Doubt it matters much, but it may decrease its resell value if I ever sell it.  What do you guys think it is?

cheers,
Mike

cchen2's gear list:cchen2's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony a6300 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts)
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 44,426
I think this looks like fungus

and will probably just get worse. It may be able to be cleaned before it etches the lens by a pro?

-- hide signature --

"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Pick my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV +3 more
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 5,085
Re: Got some junk inside my RX10 lens :(

I'm no camera/lens repair person, but if it's only on the front element, I would think that might be a simple repair. Assuming the element can be cleaned and no coatings have been damaged, repairs might be limited to labor charges.

I'd contact Sony, or a local camera repair center, to see if they can give you a ballpark estimate on repair cost. Then go from there.

BTW, if it's a fungus, expect it to get worse with time. Looking at the outer edges, I suspect it started as condensation, then turned into a fungal growth.

-- hide signature --

Steve

cchen2
OP cchen2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,226

OK thanks folks for the thoughts- I'll check into how much it would cost to repair it.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony a6300 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts)
cchen2

$306?!  That's crazy.  I may take my chances with the fungus...  will sleep on it.

Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 5,085

cchen2 wrote:

$306?! That's crazy. I may take my chances with the fungus... will sleep on it.

Wow. That must include replacing the front element. I'd have to give serious thought to using that money as partial funding for a new camera. You'll never recoup that cost if you decided to sell the camera later on. If it is a fungus as I suspect, it will eventually migrate to other elements in the lens where the effects on image quality will be readily apparent.

Good luck to you in whatever direction you decide to go.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Jerry045
Jerry045 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,375

There have been a few YouTube videos on how to remove the front lens element. If you have the dexterity, it usually involves removing a retaining ring. Then you can clean the lens and reassemble it.

I see this as an alternative to trashing the camera.

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 +2 more
cchen2

Thanks for the tip- I might consider that but I'm having a hard time finding the video link.  Would you mind pointing me to one?

Thank you, Mike

Jerry045
Jerry045 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,375

cchen2 wrote:

Thanks for the tip- I might consider that but I'm having a hard time finding the video link. Would you mind pointing me to one?

Thank you, Mike

Mike:

I did a search and a bunch of videos came up, many on removing fungus.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=remove+front+lens

Try that and see if it might get you some ideas. I did not search specifically for a Sony camera, but I suspect many lenses are built similarly.

I hope this helps.

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 +2 more
cchen2

Ok thanks, I saw some, I was hoping for a specific rx10 teardown, but I'll watch some of these and see if I have the guts to do it myself!

Enders Shadow
Enders Shadow Veteran Member • Posts: 3,293

cchen2 wrote:

Ok thanks, I saw some, I was hoping for a specific rx10 teardown, but I'll watch some of these and see if I have the guts to do it myself!

A friend also had this happen to his RX10 following almost 4 months of travel through SE Asia. Coming from his air conditioned hotel room, the lens would often fog up externally and sometimes internally. He didn't think of it more than a minor inconvenience. When he got home he noticed some fungal growth patterns on the inside of the front element. He is a little rough on his gear and the camera's exterior is fairly battered. I believe he has written off his RX10 and is looking for something smaller.

There are lots of detailed instructions for some Panasonic models. I couldn't find anything on the RX10.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Enders Shadow's gear list:Enders Shadow's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +20 more
cchen2

Thanks, that is very helpful indeed- I'll check them out!

Foto4x4 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,382

This link shows a teardown of an RX10.

https://youtu.be/XO-xVAZviNE

No disassembly instructions but this screen shot shows a screw behind the front element retainer. Work out how to remove that and I think you'll find there are two more screws at 120 degrees and 240 degrees.

Before you do anything, consider that repair. I think you'll lose more than $300 in lost resale value. You service your car don't you? Imagine it's resale if you didn't. Then think how much lost use you might end up with if this progresses further. Then you'll be up for a new camera possibly prematurely with an unsaleable RX10. Surely that's more costly than $300.

Just sayin'!

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
John

Foto4x4's gear list:Foto4x4's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +8 more
cchen2

Thanks , opened up the front of the lens yesterday and was disappointed to see that my tiniest screwdriver was too small.  Ordered a tiny set on Amazon and will try again then.  Will post video when I'm done.  Appreciate the help!

Mike

nkbj
nkbj Regular Member • Posts: 263

I have the same problem with my RX10 though I take care to let it dry completely if wet. I always store with silica gel ind my camera bag. Is that camera model prone to fungus growth?

I look forward to read more about your effort to clean it up.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Niels Kristian Bech Jensen

Enders Shadow
Enders Shadow Veteran Member • Posts: 3,293

nkbj wrote:

I have the same problem with my RX10 though I take care to let it dry completely if wet. I always store with silica gel ind my camera bag.

Unless your bag is tightly sealed, I doubt the silica gel provides much protection.

Is that camera model prone to fungus growth?

The weather sealing may prolong the the retention of trapped moisture. But I'm not sure why it would be prone to fungus growth. The original owners of my RX10 took it on Caribbean and Mediterranean cruises. So it was exposed to high humidity conditions. But it has spent most of its life in a desert environment where relative humidity frequently drops below 10%. I took a close look at mine and there's no signs of any fungus growth.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Enders Shadow's gear list:Enders Shadow's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +20 more
cchen2

So for those are are anxiously awaiting the conclusion to my story, its a rather sad one. So, my new tiny screw driver worked well (1mm Phillips) to remove 3 out of the 4 screws, but one of the screws had already been damaged by some idiot who tried to initially use the tiniest flathead screwdriver he had because the tiniest Phillips was too big. So, alas, the screw is broken and I can't removed it- even w/ rubber bands or every technique I looked at online.

I ended up screwing the other three screws back and reassembling the camera. I'm going to expose it to the sun for a couple hours a day for the next few days and store it with some silicon gel to get it as dry as possible and then use that camera until I can't do it any more and then probably sell it "AS IS" on Ebay. Maybe someone else can figure out how to remove the damaged screw.

It's a bummer, but hey, it's still completely useable for now- I haven't seen any degradation in the picture quality yet, so I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts. If I can get 2 more years out of it, heck, that's good enough for me. Ultimately, I make enough at my real job in one day to cover the cost of another two used RX10's, if I ultimately have to kiss this one good bye. But I suspect if I do, I might get the FZ1000 instead.

breccia Contributing Member • Posts: 550

Kind of sad about your camera sorry. Amazing is that you can still use it and not see the fungus in the photos, My old sony mavica still took great photos after I got too close to a quartz crystal and chipped a big moon right out of the lens face. I used that camera for a long while after it was chipped, surprised  that the chip did not seem to effect the photos.

breccia's gear list:breccia's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-H1
cchen2

Yeah, thankfully it doesn't really look as bad as my example photos.  In CFL light you would have a hard time seeing it at all.  If anything it is probably marginally decreasing the amount of light that is getting to the sensor, but since rx10 is my good light camera, I'm not missing out on too much for now.  I'm not a pixel pepper anyways!

GarageBoy Contributing Member • Posts: 924

I have the same exact issue - not sure if it's fungus - I've owned lenses with fungus, and it does not look like that - usually more fuzzy, rather than what looks like an oily residue

Not worth $306 to fix, especially since an RX10 is only $450 on ebay

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads