Olympus E-M1 Mark II price - USD $1,999.00

Started Oct 30, 2016 | Discussions
MinAZ
MinAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,553
Olympus E-M1 Mark II price - USD $1,999.00

Just wanted to let everyone know I received word from the manager of a large chain in New England that the E-M1 II will launch for USD $1,999.00. I bought my first DSLR camera from this group and have dealt with them numerous times in the past, they always have been very reliable.

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
junk1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,726
Re: Olympus E-M1 Mark II price - USD $1,999.00

Good luck with that Olympus.  I suppose if margins are 3x higher than they'd be at $1200, but they sell only half as many, they still come out ahead, ignoring potential/lost lens sales.

bgalb
bgalb Senior Member • Posts: 2,179

Everyone has a break point and that price is above mine. I can live with my current EM-1 for at least another year.

-- hide signature --

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Clarkes 3rd Law

bgalb's gear list:bgalb's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +4 more
shibbs
shibbs Regular Member • Posts: 331

Why would they put the prices up so high. you could go full frame and have better low light and dynamic range for that price.

The Sony A7ii is $1,698.00 at B&H.

shibbs's gear list:shibbs's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony a7R II Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +3 more
drj3 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,512

shibbs wrote:

Why would they put the prices up so high. you could go full frame and have better low light and dynamic range for that price.

How much would a lens with the equivalent FOV of the 300mm f4 cost?  Is there an equivalent for the A7xx?  With only 24MP cropping for equivalent field of view would not be an option.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +9 more
Robert Garcia NYC Senior Member • Posts: 2,196

That is steep.

shibbs
shibbs Regular Member • Posts: 331

drj3 wrote:

shibbs wrote:

How much would a lens with the equivalent FOV of the 300mm f4 cost? Is there an equivalent for the A7xx? With only 24MP cropping for equivalent field of view would not be an option.

How often would most use a 300mm lens. those that like wildlife and sports but for everything else you would be better off with the A7ii. I have the 24-240mm lens it's a 72mm filter size and cheaper than the new 12-100mm lens this is also a 72mm filter size . and I bet there's not much difference in size.

shibbs's gear list:shibbs's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony a7R II Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +3 more
lmeng
lmeng Regular Member • Posts: 223

Well, I am very disappointed. I hoped it would be around $1,500/$1600. I may still buy it in a year or two if I have not switched to Fuji or Sony during that period.

lmeng's gear list:lmeng's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +9 more
SkiHound Veteran Member • Posts: 3,849

It will no doubt be worth it to some. I suppose Olympus may view cameras like the Nikon D500 and Canon 7Dii as the direct competition. The former was initially priced at $1999 and the 7Dii was at $1799, if I recall correctly. Both are selling for less. I know, if you're in the system have an investment in lenses an extra $300 might not be a deal breaker. But it'll have to be really outstanding to get my attention at $1999. It's not going to hit the market with hand holdable hi-resolution. That would have been a huge selling point for me. I use CAF and  high frame rates when doing stuff like chasing our dogs, but that's only a small part of my photography interest. So the IQ improvements are going to have to awfully damn impressive, and I just don't think that's going to happen. I thought it would be about in the ball park of the XT-2. At $1999 I think my next camera may well say Lumix. For a birder or sports photographer, this might really offer a major upgrade. I'm not so sure I can justify it.

g7_chord Regular Member • Posts: 172

Makes a reconditioned E-M5 II at $800 a bargain!

MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 41,404

lmeng wrote:

Well, I am very disappointed. I hoped it would be around $1,500/$1600. I may still buy it in a year or two if I have not switched to Fuji or Sony during that period.

Switching to Panasonic might be easier

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

reggieandtfe Regular Member • Posts: 236

That would keep me from buying. It shouldn't be more than a XT2 or and A7 ii

Saxton Regular Member • Posts: 127

g7_chord wrote:

Makes a reconditioned E-M5 II at $800 a bargain!

I'd say that was already a bargain regardless. While I'm happy with mine and wasn't planning to upgrade right away anyway, this price point probably moves the E-M1 II from a second to a third year purchase for me.

MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 41,404
We wouldn't want our favourite camera company to go broke ...

MinAZ wrote:

Just wanted to let everyone know I received word from the manager of a large chain in New England that the E-M1 II will launch for USD $1,999.00. I bought my first DSLR camera from this group and have dealt with them numerous times in the past, they always have been very reliable.

Hmmm - I guess that they are throwing in a very nice lens for the deal?  If this is body only then it is likely to be near AUD$2,600 in Australia.  Worth the money? - well only those who really want one can tell.

But as it is a new flagship with features that are quite unique then maybe there will be a waiting list no matter what price is asked.  Still cheaper than an A7RII.

We cammot have it all ways - we demand the very best and then maybe get amazed at its cost.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Pepyn Senior Member • Posts: 1,001
Re: We wouldn't want our favourite camera company to go broke ...

Tom Caldwell wrote:

MinAZ wrote:

Hmmm - I guess that they are throwing in a very nice lens for the deal? If this is body only then it is likely to be near AUD$2,600 in Australia. Worth the money? - well only those who really want one can tell.

But as it is a new flagship with features that are quite unique then maybe there will be a waiting list no matter what price is asked. Still cheaper than an A7RII.

We cammot have it all ways - we demand the very best and then maybe get amazed at its cost.

Aus 2.6k is the price estimate I'm hearing at my local camera shop, which causes my head to droop. I'm increasingly interested in Sony A7ii/rii as my next camera if that's the price point.

-- hide signature --
 Pepyn's gear list:Pepyn's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +5 more
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 14,719

Higher than what I would have guess.  Still Olympus kind if claims it beats the leading cropped sensor dslr in image quality and AF performance.   So if this means the D500 then why not price the new camera close to the D500 price.

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +40 more
drj3 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,512

shibbs wrote:

drj3 wrote:

shibbs wrote:

How much would a lens with the equivalent FOV of the 300mm f4 cost? Is there an equivalent for the A7xx? With only 24MP cropping for equivalent field of view would not be an option.

How often would most use a 300mm lens. those that like wildlife and sports but for everything else you would be better off with the A7ii. I have the 24-240mm lens it's a 72mm filter size and cheaper than the new 12-100mm lens this is also a 72mm filter size . and I bet there's not much difference in size.

If wildlife was not a priority for me, then I probably would purchase the E-M5 MKII or E-M10 MkII or the Pen F.  The Sony doesn't give me the option of wildlife of the option using one camera ( E-M1 MkII) for wildlife and a different one (my E-M10) when I want to go small without having to worry about lens for two different systems.

I certainly would have preferred a price of $1399 (like the MkI), but I don't see any other good options.  I thought about the Nikon D500, but have not been very impressed with the bird images I have seen (with the exception of those with the 500mm f4 which costs considerably more than the Olympus 300mm f4 + MC14 + new E-M1 MkII).

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +9 more
phil from seattle
phil from seattle Senior Member • Posts: 3,232

Maybe that's a kit price but if not, it's solidly on my "no hurry at all" list. If nothing else I'll wait to see if it has fixed the shutter shock issue with the Panny 100-400mm before I even consider it.  Might even pick up an EM5mkii because it works well with that lens.

If that's just the body price then I predict lots of sales on other Olympus products because the mk ii isn't going to drive their numbers. I guess that's good news!

Silverback46
Silverback46 Senior Member • Posts: 1,405
Re: Interesting

MinAZ wrote:

The rumors seemed to suggest it was going to be 'just' above the Fuji X-T2 price which seems to be around $1599. At least now we know what just means...$400 US. In Canada that translates to about $550 Canadian minimum. So probably the same price as the Aussies will be be paying....I think I will wait to see what Sony offers for the 77ii upgrade or what the Canon 6D upgrade brings. By then the EM1ii may be at a different price and I will reconsider.

Silver

Silverback46's gear list:Silverback46's gear list
Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony a7R II
RSSrsvp Veteran Member • Posts: 3,251

I will wait for the official announcement as IMO this is still a rumor.

RSSrsvp's gear list:RSSrsvp's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads