D750 Err message

Started Oct 24, 2016 | Discussions
39matt Contributing Member • Posts: 537
D750 Err message

A few weeks ago I commented on someone else's thread that my D750 had started to show the Err message on start up.

My camera is less than two years old and has been retuned to Nikon UK twice for warranty recalls. First was for the shading problem where they replaced various parts and second was for the potential sticking shutter where they replaced the shutter ( albeit mine had never done this)

Since June this year I have started to see the Err problem and like others have stated I can replicate it with any lens and from shutter speeds over 1/640.

i have cleaned all contacts and it's made no difference

My main reason for posting this thread is that it is packaged up and going off to Nikon UK today still under warranty to see what they can do about it.  I have also asked them to check its light sealing as well as I think it has a bit of light leak which shows itself when doing nighttime Astro photography.

i will keep you updated on its progress with Nikon but if you haven't checked your camera try it on start up with a shutter speed of 1/1000.

Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Donalan New Member • Posts: 22
Re: D750 Err message

Good idea  to get it done while your warranty is still in effect. I too  developed  the problem after complying with both prior recalls, but when I contacted Nikon they refused to help because my camera was out of warranty by a  couple of months .  I pointed out all of the discussions of this problem on various websites and the message boards but they were unmoved. Grrrrrrr.

-- hide signature --

Donalan

Donalan's gear list:Donalan's gear list
Nikon D750
Wahrsager
Wahrsager Senior Member • Posts: 1,227

39matt wrote:

A few weeks ago I commented on someone else's thread that my D750 had started to show the Err message on start up.

My camera is less than two years old and has been retuned to Nikon UK twice for warranty recalls. First was for the shading problem where they replaced various parts and second was for the potential sticking shutter where they replaced the shutter ( albeit mine had never done this)

Since June this year I have started to see the Err problem and like others have stated I can replicate it with any lens and from shutter speeds over 1/640.

My main reason for posting this thread is that it is packaged up and going off to Nikon UK today still under warranty to see what they can do about it. I have also asked them to check its light sealing as well as I think it has a bit of light leak which shows itself when doing nighttime Astro photography.

i will keep you updated on its progress with Nikon but if you haven't checked your camera try it on start up with a shutter speed of 1/1000.

I got that message once with my 135 F/2 and found that I had inadvertently moved the position of the aperture ring lock.  (Just in case you're using an older lens).

Wahrsager's gear list:Wahrsager's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +22 more
DPPinoy New Member • Posts: 6

I just sent my camera in for the exact same issue (last week). Hopefully the issue will be fixed. When I called Nikon support, I told them it only happens during cold boot-ups at higher shutter speeds, then after the first error message happens, everything works normally.

hopefully I get my d750 soon and the issue will be fixed.

BirgerH
BirgerH Veteran Member • Posts: 5,904

Wahrsager wrote:

39matt wrote:

My main reason for posting this thread is that it is packaged up and going off to Nikon UK today still under warranty to see what they can do about it. I have also asked them to check its light sealing as well as I think it has a bit of light leak which shows itself when doing nighttime Astro photography.

I got that message once with my 135 F/2 and found that I had inadvertently moved the position of the aperture ring lock. (Just in case you're using an older lens).

Hi.

I don't think so.

That should under certain circumstances give you a "fEE" - error - but not an "Err"-message.

The "Err"-error is a malfunction inside the camera - has nothing to do with the lens - most often a stuck mirror or a stuck shutter.

BirgerH.

BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
Mike Gunter Regular Member • Posts: 275

I have had an 'Err' message twice with a single source problem - a faulty third party battery, at least I think that's what it was. The top LCD panel 'Err' then when blank.

A reset with a fresh battery cleared it up both times.

I use my camera a lot and with other brands of batteries and Nikon brand batteries, too. Only one of the batteries has seemed to cause the error, and over the fullness of time, it hasn't returned.

Just my experience.

-- hide signature --

My best,
Mike

Mike Gunter's gear list:Mike Gunter's gear list
Nikon D750 Panasonic G85 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +10 more
Wahrsager
Wahrsager Senior Member • Posts: 1,227

BirgerH wrote:

Wahrsager wrote:

39matt wrote:

I got that message once with my 135 F/2 and found that I had inadvertently moved the position of the aperture ring lock. (Just in case you're using an older lens).

Hi.

I don't think so.

That should under certain circumstances give you a "fEE" - error - but not an "Err"-message.

The "Err"-error is a malfunction inside the camera - has nothing to do with the lens - most often a stuck mirror or a stuck shutter.

BirgerH.

Ah yes!  I remember now.

Wahrsager's gear list:Wahrsager's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +22 more
OP 39matt Contributing Member • Posts: 537

Update.  Camera is with Nikon UK and has been assessed and is awaiting repair.

Mike Gunter wrote:

I have had an 'Err' message twice with a single source problem - a faulty third party battery, at least I think that's what it was. The top LCD panel 'Err' then when blank.

A reset with a fresh battery cleared it up both times.

I use my camera a lot and with other brands of batteries and Nikon brand batteries, too. Only one of the batteries has seemed to cause the error, and over the fullness of time, it hasn't returned.

Just my experience.

Hi Mike

I only have Nikon batteries so pretty certain its not that.

TBH I don't recall ever having a problem prior to the warranty recall to replace the shutter. Perhaps some of the replacement shutters were faulty or I got someone else's cast off one by mistake.

Cheers

Matt

Donalan New Member • Posts: 22

I don't recall ever having a problem prior to the warranty recall to replace the shutter. Perhaps some of the replacement shutters were faulty . . ; .

Cheers

Matt

My experience exactly.

-- hide signature --

Donalan

Donalan's gear list:Donalan's gear list
Nikon D750
debyelenter New Member • Posts: 1

Wow! thanks for your message. I have a brand new 750, and when I mounted my old 50mm 1.4d I got the error, started to research and thought the camera was malfunctioning...

After reading your post I made the change in the lens and now is mounting ok!

BirgerH
BirgerH Veteran Member • Posts: 5,904

debyelenter wrote:

Wow! thanks for your message. I have a brand new 750, and when I mounted my old 50mm 1.4d I got the error, started to research and thought the camera was malfunctioning...

After reading your post I made the change in the lens and now is mounting ok!

Yes

For your information:

When using an Ais lens with a cpu, the aperture setting can be used in two ways, either by the dial or by the aperture ring on the lens depending on the setting of the usermenu f5, page 364 in the manual.

If f5, Aperture setting is set to "Sub-dial" (On) you are using the dial to set the aperture, and the aperture ring on the lens has to be set (locked) at the minimum aperture, otherwise you'll have a "fEE"-error.

If Aperture setting is set to "Aperture ring" (Off), you have to use the aperture ring on the lens, and the dial can not be used. The dial will still be working, if using a "G"-lens (lenses without aperture ring).

When using an Ai/Ais lens without a cpu, the lens has to be written to the "Non-cpu lens register", and you have to use the aperture ring no matter the f5 setting, the dial will not work.

By the way - all lenses from about 1979 and to day with an aperture ring are Ai/Ais lenses, lenses before that are often called "Non-Ai"- or "Pre-Ai"- lenses - they should not be mounted not to risk damaging your camera.

Hope this helps you.

BirgerH.

BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
AP2011
AP2011 New Member • Posts: 12

Hello everyone,

Last April (of 2016) I had the opportunity to upgrade my kit from DX to FX. I chose two D750´s as my basic "get to go" -kit.

Last week the other one gave me the upper LCD "Err"-message when I was trying to take a photo with a short shutter speed (i.e. 1/4000s). Repeatedly. As described in these forums before.

No randomness in it, wait 2 hrs or so ,in the same conditions (not depending on the glass) ,try to take a photo,black picture (file), mirror lockup, a blinking "Err"- message which goes away if you ,for example, change the program-dial to MirrorUp -position and press the shutter release (button) again.

Now that is all "old news" but I seem to recall-- When I was setting up the camera  a week before that for a shoot it was making a funny "bzzzt" noise when I had A) the live view on AND was changing the live view mode from and to still and movie modes.

I know this might sound funny but has anyone else noticed that?

The other D750 is A OK and changes modes just fine in live view mode... The bodies serial numbers are 2 apart (as in xxxxxxxx69 and xxxxxxxx71)..

Yrs,

AP

AP2011's gear list:AP2011's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Olympus Tough TG-3 Nikon D750 Panasonic G85 Nikon D850 +20 more

No haven't noticed any buzzing with mine.  I am still inclined to think mine was a defective replacement shutter after the recall on some of them including mine.

Two weeks on and mine is still shown as awaiting repair with Nikon.

AP2011
AP2011 New Member • Posts: 12

Sorry my bad..

Got a bit excited there.. The buzzing sound is caused by the body when the aperture setting is different in movie vs. still picture mode (example: In still mode the aperture is set @f/1.4 and in movie mode it is set @f/5.6) then the D750 will change the aperture,hence the sound... Anyway, intriguing, one wonders:Oil splatters have been dealt with--Hopefully NOT with a friction welding shutter...At this point I would not personnally mind a few oil drops...

Yrs,

AP

AP2011's gear list:AP2011's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Olympus Tough TG-3 Nikon D750 Panasonic G85 Nikon D850 +20 more
DPPinoy New Member • Posts: 6

I just got my d750 back from Nikon.

they changed the circuit board and something with the shutter and it still gives me error messages at high shutter speeds. looks like I'll be sending it back to Nikon.

My camera had arrived back today and the following has been done.

Will check to see if it still sticks on start up

39matt wrote:

My camera had arrived back today and the following has been done.

Will check to see if it still sticks on start up

Update:  No obvious errors showing up so fingers crossed all now in order.

Quite clearly if you are getting ERR on start up then it is most probably related to faulty shutter units and dont assume that if you sent it back on the initial recall then you will have no problems. Mine was sent back on the recall and ended up clearly being fitted with a faulty unit. This has made the extra work necessary which has has just been completed.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads