On Tap...

Started Oct 20, 2016 | Discussions
adk38 Senior Member • Posts: 1,201
Re: On Tap...
6

Yake wrote:

Iain G Foulds wrote:

... Watched a few Tap videos this week. Seems a decent enough fellow- a little lonely- but he does have some worthwhile perspectives on things, offers some good advice, and genuinely tries to share sensible and affordable options. Like, his advice on cleaning equipment was excellent and very conscientious.

... He seems more The Amusing Photographer, than "angry", but they are his videos. And, in the end, even if he is taking a contrary position on a product simply for the sake of attention and fame, he is ultimately serving to bring atttention to, and interest in, the product.

He is not amusing to me. Rather -

- he trashes gear he has never used;

- he trashes gear based on photos he's seen on Flickr, having no idea how they were processed;

- he trashes gear he has used, but without offering any comparative evidence to gear that he recommends;

- he trashes people who disagree with him with names like "cockroaches", etc., and is often really mean to people online;

- he pretends to be some know-it-all about photography mainly based on his collection of lenses and flashes, not any work that he can show;

- he claims to be smarter than anyone on the topics he discusses, even the engineers who actually design lenses, again because he has some ridiculous collection of gear and has apparently done some camera/lens repairs.

- he blocks or bans people who post critical comments under his videos, giving the false impression that his comments are nearly all positive;

- he impersonates TAP "supporters" with various user accounts, but then stupidly reveals his true identity with his unique signature phrases;

- when he posts photos as examples of some lens characteristics, he sees what he wants to see;

- he uses silly click-bait video titles;

- he has a narrow-minded view of wedding photography, including how it's done and what gear should be used;

- he purports to give "Pro Tips" but doesn't seem to be a pro photographer, seems more like a prosumer who occasionally makes money at photography;

- he has an intense anti-Sigma agenda so he he takes numerous opportunities to bash Sigma, sometimes repeating the same anti-Sigma trash talk over and over again in various comments, such as on PetaPixel. He'll just keep repeating it, in case you missed it the 1st, or 2nd, or 3rd time;

- he promotes some gear as having very high build quality when it actually doesn't;

- he goes on and on about high element count vs. low element count without any actual proof (and, no, Yannick's articles don't provide the proof that either of them think they do);

- his main actual credential seems to be that he worked behind the counter at a camera store (or a few), as if that counts for much;

I could go on, but have wasted enough time on this character.

Nice summary

You forgot he owned (well touched) every Nikon camera and knows more about light than all youtubers combined

... And still to show a picture above what a three year old  could take

 adk38's gear list:adk38's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +6 more
Iain G Foulds
OP Iain G Foulds Veteran Member • Posts: 3,906
Re: On Tap...
2

... What is wrong with you people. He is just a guy with a video camera. His opinion is not worth any more than your's or mine. Sheesh..

 Iain G Foulds's gear list:Iain G Foulds's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A900
adk38 Senior Member • Posts: 1,201
Re: On Tap...
9

Iain G Foulds wrote:

... What is wrong with you people. He is just a guy with a video camera. His opinion is not worth any more than your's or mine. Sheesh..

No, to me it's not about his opinion. As I put in another topic everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Outrageous claims, bashing and pretending is what I don't like and react to.

If he toned it all down and sticked to the topic I think I'd appreciate his knowledge more. And that's my opinion

 adk38's gear list:adk38's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +6 more
Yake Senior Member • Posts: 1,531
Re: On Tap...
6

Iain G Foulds wrote:

... What is wrong with you people. He is just a guy with a video camera. His opinion is not worth any more than your's or mine. Sheesh..

"What is wrong with you people"?  Really?  Didn't I just list a whole bunch of objections to his behavior?

 Yake's gear list:Yake's gear list
Canon EOS RP Sony a7 III
Brian From WI Contributing Member • Posts: 940
Re: On Tap...
2

I don't know of his multiple accounts, and he said he has had 3. I don't see a legit purpose for having more than 1,.... well, maybe 2 under certain circumstances. I never saw a user as him, knowingly anyways.

In the end, I think people take him too seriously. He's a character. He has a narrow minded view based on his opinion + ego. Not much arguing that. However, I don't doubt his experience with gear. I'm not a good photographer and still have opinions on gear. You don't need to be Joe McNally to have an opinion on what you like. I think the guy spends all day playing with lenses, that's like my dream job right there. I also think the guy has some smarts about how lenses working, despite his presentation.

He is one of many places I go for "entertainment" on youtube.  He is actually pretty funny if you don't take him too seriously.

 Brian From WI's gear list:Brian From WI's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +7 more
GlobalGuyUSA Senior Member • Posts: 2,051
Re: On Tap...
5

Iain G Foulds wrote:

... Watched a few Tap videos this week. Seems a decent enough fellow- a little lonely- but he does have some worthwhile perspectives on things, offers some good advice, and genuinely tries to share sensible and affordable options. Like, his advice on cleaning equipment was excellent and very conscientious.

... He seems more The Amusing Photographer, than "angry", but they are his videos. And, in the end, even if he is taking a contrary position on a product simply for the sake of attention and fame, he is ultimately serving to bring atttention to, and interest in, the product.

CAN WE PLEASE STOP IT WITH "TAP."

You people sound like girls gossiping about "Brangelina."
This person isn't even worth being mentioned by FX users.

Good lord... and I thought I was tired of hearing about Thom & Rockwell.

Please leave him in the DX forum.
(Or possibly a garbage can.)

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,
GlobalGuy

 GlobalGuyUSA's gear list:GlobalGuyUSA's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +9 more
SkvLTD
SkvLTD Contributing Member • Posts: 891
Re: On Tap...
4

MrScrooge wrote:

Iain G Foulds wrote: And, in the end, even if he is taking a contrary position on a product simply for the sake of attention and fame, he is ultimately serving to bring atttention to, and interest in, the product.

I would never recommend his channel to a newcomer to photography.

I wouldn't to anyone quite frankly. He's just trying to do what MANY pro's are trying to do - more marketing through video platform and his video quality is very sub-par, which is the first indication of content quality to me. Look at Northrop, Fro, Granger. And those guys make books and tutorial videos that further legitimize their relatively boring marketing/review/attention videos because it shows that they care about their followers.

-- hide signature --

Sensors capture and render that light, so best sensor always wins despite glass outlasting the sensors.

 SkvLTD's gear list:SkvLTD's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon Df Fujifilm X-T3 +11 more
L Copps Senior Member • Posts: 1,608
Re: Brian and Paul
2

Iain G Foulds wrote:

... What is wrong with you both?

... Just one man offering his thoughts on an issue. Do you always have to agree with everyone to make up your own opinions?

But you must only offer approved thoughts, pay homage to the aristocracy, cast out sanctioned demons, and go along with the group think if you want to dwell in harmony and stay out of the troll bucket.

You've strayed too far and getting dangerously close to becoming one of their piñatas.

 L Copps's gear list:L Copps's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +10 more
SkvLTD
SkvLTD Contributing Member • Posts: 891
Re: On Tap...
3

GlobalGuyUSA wrote:

This person isn't even worth being mentioned by FX users.

Well played!

Good lord... and I thought I was tired of hearing about Thom & Rockwell.

Please leave him in the DX forum.
(Or possibly a garbage can.)

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,
GlobalGuy

But what is or was ever wrong with Thom? His, as I classify them as, miscellaneous articles can be kinda out there, but reviews were always on-point and not an unholy spam of them like Ken.

I will chime in when and where Angry lost my credibility when I stumbled upon his vids a couple years ago - swearing by the old glass and only over new for PRO application. Some new tech and especially AF not only expedites things, but ensures you nail them and everyone being happy.

-- hide signature --

Sensors capture and render that light, so best sensor always wins despite glass outlasting the sensors.

 SkvLTD's gear list:SkvLTD's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon Df Fujifilm X-T3 +11 more
L Copps Senior Member • Posts: 1,608
Re: On Tap...
1

MrScrooge wrote:

Brian From WI wrote:

So, anyone who agrees with or has the same opinion as him are sock puppets?

That's one side of the extreme. The other side is that some people think that they are right and everyone else is stupid. In the end, it's all the same. Someone thinks that their opinion is fact.

Hi Brian - firstly let me say I largely agree with your post, it is also well written and balanced.

But I feel it worth iterating that there is a hard line between opinion and fact at this point - MTF values, vignetting, CA etc - these values are all clearly observable, measurable, repeatable. You can make claims about a lens using these parameters and back them up simply by "showing your work" - the people who carry out this testing can then state their results as fact - which when put into context (taking into account the test methodology and sample diversity (usually 1)) gives us useful knowledge about the lens.

Photography is not calculus. Its as much art and subject to every level of critique as any piece of art. If you believe all comment and opinion about photography must be proven by fact, then you have missed the entire essence of photography.

You may then opine to your hearts content about the relevance of the data but the results are objective facts - we need not rely on others opinions, we are all capable of making our own with facts. This is why they are so much more valueable than opinion alone. All TAF offers is opinion*, but (arguably) misrepresents this as fact.

Once again, opinions about interpretation and emotion are just as relevant as technical aspects. In all fairness to TAP, he does make his case and present evidence, so its not all opinion. If someone makes the effort to give you free education, you should at least respect their efforts. Everything you hear demands scrutiny, but the education is a free gift to you. Apply your own scrutiny and judge the material on its merits rather than what you think about the person who presents it.

*oh, and the facts he scrapes off the internet from uncredited sources.

Nearly every photography tutorial on the internet doesn't credit its sources.

To each their own, but I value the input of someone who is transparent about their sources so I may draw my own conclusions far more than someone who expects me to accept theirs as gospel.

Many on this forum demand complete agreement and disparage those that don't.

Threads like this is a great way to divide people that supposedly came together to share a similar "passion"

TAF is as guilty as anyone for turning debate into argument on this forum with his many accounts. It wasn't until I saw how he behaved here that I lost respect for him. I think that many others here may be the same - I hope that maybe explains why things are so polar about him here?

There is plenty of guilt to go around.  Someone called me a moron because I had a different opinion about a lens. Imagine that.

But judge every opinion or presented piece of information respectfully by its merit and not by prejudice of a person or what was said in the past.

 L Copps's gear list:L Copps's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +10 more
MrScrooge Contributing Member • Posts: 746
Re: On Tap...
3

L Copps wrote:

Photography is not calculus. Its as much art and subject to every level of critique as any piece of art. If you believe all comment and opinion about photography must be proven by fact, then you have missed the entire essence of photography.

There are many applications for photography which are not creative. Documentation, labwork, surveying, preservation etc etc.
Regardless, in the context you're using here we are not talking about "photography" we are talking about the tools we use to practice photography.

If a painter picks up a brush labeled as 2" and doesn't get the results he was looking for, then takes a ruler and determines that it is actually only a 1.5" brush, is he criticised for measurebating? Has he missed the entire essence of painting? No. We use measurements to get predictable results from our tools so a random element doesn't impede our creativity, which is paramount in any creative outlet.

All TAF offers is opinion*, but (arguably) misrepresents this as fact.

Once again, opinions about interpretation and emotion are just as relevant as technical aspects. In all fairness to TAP, he does make his case and present evidence, so its not all opinion.

As long as it's made clear what is his fact and what is his own opinion I have no problem. Personally I don't feel that overall this is represented well in his videos. I respect that you may hold an alternative opinion.

If someone makes the effort to give you free education, you should at least respect their efforts. Everything you hear demands scrutiny, but the education is a free gift to you. Apply your own scrutiny and judge the material on its merits rather than what you think about the person who presents it.

I don't believe his motives are to educate, but to re-enforce his own interpretation of the world by trying to convince others of it. On balance, I don't believe his contribution to the photography world is a positive one. Which is a shame because there are some good nuggets of information in his videos if you look hard enough.

To each their own, but I value the input of someone who is transparent about their sources so I may draw my own conclusions far more than someone who expects me to accept theirs as gospel.

Many on this forum demand complete agreement and disparage those that don't.

I think that a lot of people *challenge* statements that are made where there isn't sufficient evidence to back up the statement.

This is a very fundamental concept behind the analytical process required in certain fields (eg careers involving lab work, diagnostics, engineering) to determine what is 'good' information and what is 'bad' information. It's counter-intuitive to how a lot of us are brought up - learning from our parents that humans communicate through gossip, rumors and passing on knowledge as they understand it from their experiences. But thankfully the internet means I no longer need to rely on my grandfathers interpretation of how a camera works to take photos - facts can easily be checked. Why wouldn't we want to challenge the quality of the information we're given these days?

Threads like this is a great way to divide people that supposedly came together to share a similar "passion"

TAF is as guilty as anyone for turning debate into argument on this forum with his many accounts.

There is plenty of guilt to go around. Someone called me a moron because I had a different opinion about a lens. Imagine that.

Doesn't TAF do that regularly in his videos?

Iain G Foulds
OP Iain G Foulds Veteran Member • Posts: 3,906
Re: On Tap...
3

... Scrooge: Appreciate your post. Like you say, the internet allows us the opportunity to check information in minutes, and brings us the opinions of others to make our own decisions.

... I don't think that Tap takes himself nearly as seriously as so many others. He does have some nuggets of information and advice, in amidst his hyperbole and humour. I don't really see the "angry" part in him. It's just drama and entertainment... and simply one man's opinion.

 Iain G Foulds's gear list:Iain G Foulds's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A900
Yake Senior Member • Posts: 1,531
Re: On Tap...
2

L Copps wrote:

MrScrooge wrote:

Brian From WI wrote:

So, anyone who agrees with or has the same opinion as him are sock puppets?

That's one side of the extreme. The other side is that some people think that they are right and everyone else is stupid. In the end, it's all the same. Someone thinks that their opinion is fact.

Hi Brian - firstly let me say I largely agree with your post, it is also well written and balanced.

But I feel it worth iterating that there is a hard line between opinion and fact at this point - MTF values, vignetting, CA etc - these values are all clearly observable, measurable, repeatable. You can make claims about a lens using these parameters and back them up simply by "showing your work" - the people who carry out this testing can then state their results as fact - which when put into context (taking into account the test methodology and sample diversity (usually 1)) gives us useful knowledge about the lens.

Photography is not calculus. Its as much art and subject to every level of critique as any piece of art. If you believe all comment and opinion about photography must be proven by fact, then you have missed the entire essence of photography.

You may then opine to your hearts content about the relevance of the data but the results are objective facts - we need not rely on others opinions, we are all capable of making our own with facts. This is why they are so much more valueable than opinion alone. All TAF offers is opinion*, but (arguably) misrepresents this as fact.

Once again, opinions about interpretation and emotion are just as relevant as technical aspects. In all fairness to TAP, he does make his case and present evidence, so its not all opinion. If someone makes the effort to give you free education, you should at least respect their efforts. Everything you hear demands scrutiny, but the education is a free gift to you. Apply your own scrutiny and judge the material on its merits rather than what you think about the person who presents it.

There have been many times when bashed and trashed gear without presenting any evidence. And a few times when he presented only very dubious evidence. And he spoke very disrespectfully of people who disagreed with him. Trashing products without evidence and trash-talking people who disagree does not qualify as "free education".

*oh, and the facts he scrapes off the internet from uncredited sources.

Nearly every photography tutorial on the internet doesn't credit its sources.

To each their own, but I value the input of someone who is transparent about their sources so I may draw my own conclusions far more than someone who expects me to accept theirs as gospel.

Many on this forum demand complete agreement and disparage those that don't.

Speaking of complete agreement, TAP blocks critical comments under his videos and then brags about how the comments are mostly positive. And he is quite nasty in disparaging people who disagree with him. TAP takes the cake for name-calling and grotesque mean-ness to people. I've never seen anyone stoop to his level, calling people that disagree with him "cockroaches", etc.

Threads like this is a great way to divide people that supposedly came together to share a similar "passion"

TAF is as guilty as anyone for turning debate into argument on this forum with his many accounts. It wasn't until I saw how he behaved here that I lost respect for him. I think that many others here may be the same - I hope that maybe explains why things are so polar about him here?

There is plenty of guilt to go around. Someone called me a moron because I had a different opinion about a lens. Imagine that.

But judge every opinion or presented piece of information respectfully by its merit and not by prejudice of a person or what was said in the past.

 Yake's gear list:Yake's gear list
Canon EOS RP Sony a7 III
Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988
Thanks for the cliff notes. Seems to accurately mirror
7

a certain demographics of gearheads with neurosis.

I switched channels immediately after a few seconds of seeing and hearing him talk so I wouldn't be able to put down a single bullet point that you have jotted down.

I swear I have dealt with his ilk buying/selling lenses on Craigslist before.  This one time I was selling lenses to some guy who just bought the Pentax K-1.  He bought some really cheap APS-C lens from me (i.e. 35mm f2.4 designed for APS-C) to use on his K-1.  He then claimed it was a plastic piece of junk.  I told him that if he wanted a more dedicated FF lens he should pick up my 100mm f2.8 WR Macro instead and said he didn't want to risk buying another plastic wobbly POS.  I told him it was one of the most well-reviewed Pentax lenses and he can confirm reviews on PentaxForums, and he basically said that entire website is a sham (i.e he obviously hold his opinions in higher regard than anyone else).

Anyhow this archetypal photographer is exactly the gearhead photo creep that people can't stand taking photos in public.  They aren't charismatic, often rude, often narcissistic, etc.  In reality even if a lot of folks here make fun of him, I can so easily see shades of that personality floating all about he forum.

 Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988
Re: On Tap...
3

GlobalGuyUSA wrote:

Iain G Foulds wrote:

... Watched a few Tap videos this week. Seems a decent enough fellow- a little lonely- but he does have some worthwhile perspectives on things, offers some good advice, and genuinely tries to share sensible and affordable options. Like, his advice on cleaning equipment was excellent and very conscientious.

... He seems more The Amusing Photographer, than "angry", but they are his videos. And, in the end, even if he is taking a contrary position on a product simply for the sake of attention and fame, he is ultimately serving to bring atttention to, and interest in, the product.

CAN WE PLEASE STOP IT WITH "TAP."

You people sound like girls gossiping about "Brangelina."
This person isn't even worth being mentioned by FX users.

Good lord... and I thought I was tired of hearing about Thom & Rockwell.

Please leave him in the DX forum.
(Or possibly a garbage can.)

Thanks.

First of all this is the Lens forum and not 'FX' forum and the thought that his garbage 'belongs' to the DX forum and is not worthy of 'FX' mirrors the very exact feeble neurosis and personality disorders that make up TAP.  The fact that your post got so many up-votes despite injecting a mean spirited dig at DX users for no reason goes to show why the TAP has some following.

 Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
DAVID MANZE Veteran Member • Posts: 5,673
Re: On Tap...
4

Iain G Foulds wrote:

... What is wrong with you people. He is just a guy with a video camera. His opinion is not worth any more than your's or mine. Sheesh..

Well, you just happen to open the lid of a can of worms, and obviously you have only watched little of his stuff.

The problem is one of his opinionated style, what he likes is, cream and honey, and what he doesn't is crap junk and more, there's no in between. A few years ago it was for the most part confined to reasonable views on Nikon lenses, unfortunately he spends more time trashing Sigma, Zeiss Otus and any other lens that has more that half a dozen elements in them, it's become more obvious that non of his views are based on fact, just pig headed bias.

In short it has become a crusade against modern complex lenses, he has a few followers here with his talk of micro contrast and color depth and phase and light capacitance, but for the most part he is flying in the face of modern design and progress.  To me his opinions on the Otus range just about sum it all up, to him  they are crap, junk and the like.

He had many followers in the early days but now his hits are dwindling fast, try watching his stuff regularly, if you can stay the pace with his bigoted views and painful repetition and general coarseness you will surprise me.

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

 DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +16 more
Iain G Foulds
OP Iain G Foulds Veteran Member • Posts: 3,906
Re: On Tap...
2

... David: Well, that is a good and fair opinion. You checked out his videos, decided that they are not for you, and moved on.

... As he mentioned in yesterday's video, the pitiful ones are those who have decided that they dislike him and his videos, then fill forums with their hatred and condemnation of him. Like Tbasher- obviously a zombie stalker with no life of his own.

 Iain G Foulds's gear list:Iain G Foulds's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A900
paulski66
paulski66 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,447
Re: On Tap...
8

Iain G Foulds wrote:

... As he mentioned in yesterday's video, the pitiful ones are those who have decided that they dislike him and his videos, then fill forums with their hatred and condemnation of him. Like Tbasher- obviously a zombie stalker with no life of his own.

No, the pitiful ones are the ones who keep pushing his drivel on these forums.

Back when he first showed up around here promoting his site via some troll account or other on the FX forum, I watched about 7 or 8 of his videos. His needless profanity, endless repetition, ceaseless self-contradiction and proclivity toward taking extreme positions for the sake of taking extreme positions verified to me that he was just another loudmouth with nothing to say, trying desperately to to gain an audience through shock value, misonformation, and manufactured "controversy."

But people like yourself, for some reason, seem to find the need to keep pushing his dreck here.

Look, we all know who he is, we all know how to find him and his videos. And most of us choose to stay far away.

 paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +2 more
Iain G Foulds
OP Iain G Foulds Veteran Member • Posts: 3,906
Re: On Tap...
2

... Paul: It is amusing that you claim to speak on behalf of others- or most of the others.

... Just offer your own opinion. I do.

 Iain G Foulds's gear list:Iain G Foulds's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A900
paulski66
paulski66 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,447
Re: On Tap...
10

Iain G Foulds wrote:

... Paul: It is amusing that you claim to speak on behalf of others- or most of the others.

... Just offer your own opinion. I do.

If my goal in life were to be more like you Iain, I'd begin all of my paragraphs with ellipses, start a bunch of passive-aggressive threads in hopes of stirring things up, and lower my IQ by 70 points.

Luckily, that's not my goal in life.

 paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads