Lightroom presets

Started Oct 20, 2016 | Discussions
Lawrence Keeney
Lawrence Keeney Veteran Member • Posts: 6,820
Lightroom presets

Are there Lightroom presets available (free or for sale) which will make a 5D Mark III or 6D raw image look as vibrant as a jpg shot with one of these cameras?

I shoot a lot of disadvantaged children sport events, and give the children hundreds of free prints. I would like to cut my processing time down yet continue shooting raw just in case I need to tweak something. Seeing I do all this work for free, I would like to make the whole process quicker.

I have owned both of these cameras for some time and have never shot a jpg image with them. I read where the jpg images look much better than the unprocessed raw images.

-- hide signature --
 Lawrence Keeney's gear list:Lawrence Keeney's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Leigh A. Wax Senior Member • Posts: 1,537
Re: Lightroom presets
curlyone
curlyone Contributing Member • Posts: 827

Hi ,    I'm not big on lightroom, but i have version 4.4,  i only make one suggestion, have you  tried ,  in DEVELOP ,click on  BASIC and second row down, where you have TONE and AUTO , click on AUTO,  may not work all the time but worth a try.

Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 5,686

Why not make your own ? Adjust an image to get the look your after then save as a preset. You can then set Lightroom to use this preset on import.

left eye
left eye Senior Member • Posts: 2,789
Camera Profiles included with LR...

Try one of the camera profiles included with LR.

When in 'Develop' mode, on the right scroll down to the 'Calibration' controls,  the default 'Adobe' profile is fairly flat, try one of the 'Camera' profiles,

shown here 'Camera Standard'...

left eye's gear list:left eye's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Olympus E-300 Sigma sd Quattro Fujifilm GFX 50S Panasonic GH5 +12 more
Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 5,686
Re: Camera Profiles included with LR...

left eye wrote:

When in 'Develop' mode, on the right scroll down to the 'Calibration' controls, the default 'Adobe' profile is fairly flat, try one of the 'Camera' profiles,

Good point which I omitted because  I assumed that Lawrence was aware of this.

George Zip Senior Member • Posts: 1,624
Re: Camera Profiles included with LR...

left eye wrote:

When in 'Develop' mode, on the right scroll down to the 'Calibration' controls, the default 'Adobe' profile is fairly flat, try one of the 'Camera' profiles,

I do exactly this when I am bulk processing photos for things like a sporting event.

I personally choose "camera faithful" bump the sharpness up to 60, apply lens corrections and save that as a preset and apply the created preset on import. This gets in the ballpark of the in camera JPG  I think.

I personally find the Auto Tone settings never work for me personally, it makes them way too bright and I lose the rich colours I personally like.

I have also found it best to let the camera decide Auto White Balance and leave the Exposure comp pretty much in the middle unless you are after a really specific thing. It just takes the pain out of processing a pile of photos that are never going to be more than snaps for people.

The other way to go, I am sure you have maybe considered it, shoot in Raw and JPG, that way if there is a special shot or two you really want to tweak, you have the Raw file to work on if required.

Good luck

Lawrence Keeney
OP Lawrence Keeney Veteran Member • Posts: 6,820
Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for your input.

I really feel dumb now as I have been using Lightroom almost for ever, and I completely forgot about the Camera Profile under the Camera Calibration tab. All these years I have wanted complete control over everything I did in Lightroom, and I completely forgot the other features of the program.

When I started taking these free shoots I just kept thinking about using a Preset, and didn't think about the camera calibration feature.

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM
MirekE
MirekE Contributing Member • Posts: 925

Here is what I do:

• create new camera profile. I found that Adobe DNG profile editor or QPCalibration give more likeable results than XRite Passport software, but I guess this is a matter of personal taste
  • open a few different images shot under various conditions and with different lenses and find setting that gives pleasant look. I think with my last two cameras I used only vibrance and clarity. If you don't like how particular color (like skin) is rendered, you could make changes in the calibration tab
  • for my particular Canon I also bumped the primary sharpening a little bit
  • you could also apply lens corrections here, I don't, as I want to preserve the character of the lenses  and CA, if any, does not show up in web size and can be dealt with individually 
  • save as camera preset

if this sounds too elaborate, you can skip step 1 and select one of the canned profiles that Lightroom has preinstalled.

Lawrence Keeney
OP Lawrence Keeney Veteran Member • Posts: 6,820

MirekE wrote:

Here is what I do:

• create new camera profile. I found that Adobe DNG profile editor or QPCalibration give more likeable results than XRite Passport software, but I guess this is a matter of personal taste
  • open a few different images shot under various conditions and with different lenses and find setting that gives pleasant look. I think with my last two cameras I used only vibrance and clarity. If you don't like how particular color (like skin) is rendered, you could make changes in the calibration tab
  • for my particular Canon I also bumped the primary sharpening a little bit
  • you could also apply lens corrections here, I don't, as I want to preserve the character of the lenses and CA, if any, does not show up in web size and can be dealt with individually
  • save as camera preset

if this sounds too elaborate, you can skip step 1 and select one of the canned profiles that Lightroom has preinstalled.

Thanks for the information. I have never used a preset before, but I like the idea for these free photos where I have so many of them to process.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads