CP4500 has a RAW mode!

Started Jan 21, 2003 | Discussions
Jaime Regular Member • Posts: 301
Re: White surface?

I'll have to wait for a version for the 4500, it doesn't work with it...

Ed Rotberg wrote:

jaime wrote:

Ed, what camera do you have?

CP995. It's really nice to be able to remap the hot pixels without
giving up the camera to Nikon Service for a ocuple of weeks

So far everything looks fine.

= Ed =

-- hide signature --

= Ed Rotberg =

'A waist is a terrible thing to mind'

OP AlexY Forum Member • Posts: 98
Re: White surface?

Ed,

If you think you have to many of defective pixels mapped you might have remaped them on hot camera. You can try turn it off and give it some time to cool down. Then after you turn it on go straight to remap. You should come with less defective pixels mapped.

Alex

Ed Rotberg wrote:

MariusN wrote:

Yes, lens cap on, but again, I did just the hot pixel mapping
("Remap hot pixels") where this would make sense (I heard myself a
very long exposure shot - I would assume maybe followed by a short
one for black frame substraction).

Marius,

I just finished doing the remap myself. I have a few observations:
1) the program does NOT function properly under Windows 98 - it
could not communicate with the camera
2) When I "read" the hot pixels, despite the caution about taking
about 10 minutes, it only seemed to take about 15 seconds.
3) the Read claimed 16 defective pixels
4) When I remapped it again went faster than advertised and claimed
it found 512 defective pixels!!!
5) When I again "read" the defective pixels it took about 15
seconds and again claimed 16 defetive pixels.

The good news is that my hot pixels appear to have been mapped out,
and the camera appears to operate just fine. Previously I had
noticed six significant spots some of which were multi-pixel.

Thanks for your info and help.

= Ed =

So far I could not see any problem. CCD is noise free up to 8 sec
exposures... (with NR disabled..) Also so far I did not notice any
image quality degradation due to the pixels mapped out (less than
two hundred in three million anyway..).

Ed Rotberg wrote:

Marius,

Did you leave the lens cap on for this?

= Ed =

-- hide signature --

= Ed Rotberg =

'A waist is a terrible thing to mind'

Ed Rotberg Senior Member • Posts: 1,865
Re: Hotpixel remapping: My results

That's hard to say Jaime. You used a threshold of 60 luminence for hot pixels. Who's to say what the Nikon internal remapping software uses as a threshold.

Personally I have tried not to obsess about hot pixels too much. First, they are mostly only visible for long exposures. Secondly the NR function does work well in those cases. Third, if I can't see them in my normal pixtures, I'm not going to compain about it.

I did the remapping on my images because of the occasoinal long exposures that I do and the fact that there were 6 hot areas VERY visible when I had NR turned off. But to be honest, I usually just turn on NR for those cases. The nice thing about doing the remap is that I can get away with forgetting to turn NR on, which occaisonally happens, and I did not have to give up my camera to get it done.

I would suggest just taking a 4 second shot with your lens cap on and NR off, and then looking at it at 100% magnification on your monitor. If you don't see any hot pixels jump out at you - don't sweat it!

= Ed =

jaime wrote:

I used the cpixmap app on my 4500 and it found no hotpixels, but
my 4500 has some hotpixels at 1/2 sec and above, I first used
deadpixeltest.exe and here are my results:

Do you think the cpixmap app doesn't work with the 4500??

-- hide signature --

= Ed Rotberg =

'A waist is a terrible thing to mind'

MariusN Forum Member • Posts: 84
Re: Hotpixel remapping: My results

In my case I am using BSS a lot in long exposures with no tripod and unfortunately NR is not available when BSS is enabled. The stuck hot pink, green and blue pixel groups that I had (at least 4 pixels for each, due to the Bayer interpolation) were very, very annoying for me. And all were visible even at normal indoor shutter speeds of 1/60 sec. On really long exposures - a few seconds at least - I would get such a "constellation" of hot pixels that not even NR wouldn't be able to filter them all out. Now after the remapping 8" long test (lens cap on) exposures are absolutely clean to the eye on 100% on a big computer monitor, no hot pixel visible, and this even without NR.

Ed Rotberg wrote:

Personally I have tried not to obsess about hot pixels too much.
First, they are mostly only visible for long exposures. Secondly
the NR function does work well in those cases. Third, if I can't
see them in my normal pixtures, I'm not going to compain about it.

I did the remapping on my images because of the occasoinal long
exposures that I do and the fact that there were 6 hot areas VERY
visible when I had NR turned off. But to be honest, I usually just
turn on NR for those cases. The nice thing about doing the remap
is that I can get away with forgetting to turn NR on, which
occaisonally happens, and I did not have to give up my camera to
get it done.

I would suggest just taking a 4 second shot with your lens cap on
and NR off, and then looking at it at 100% magnification on your
monitor. If you don't see any hot pixels jump out at you - don't
sweat it!

= Ed =

OP AlexY Forum Member • Posts: 98
Re: Hotpixel remapping: My results

Did you press Remap?
Or just Read?

jaime wrote:

I used the cpixmap app on my 4500 and it found no hotpixels, but
my 4500 has some hotpixels at 1/2 sec and above, I first used
deadpixeltest.exe and here are my results:

Do you think the cpixmap app doesn't work with the 4500??

Olga Johnson Forum Pro • Posts: 23,317
Re: RAW mode Problems: Solved

jaime wrote:

Ok, I was getting errors because I didn't let the camera to finish
writing the RAW file, as simple as that.
It seems that the camera didn't realize that a writing process was
still working on the RAW file, so, when I shot again, the writing
got messed up...

How long does the 4500 take to record a RAW file?

  • Olga

 Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon G3 X Canon EOS M +14 more
Jaime Regular Member • Posts: 301
Re: RAW mode Problems: Solved

between 3 to 5 seconds

OlgaJ wrote:

jaime wrote:

Ok, I was getting errors because I didn't let the camera to finish
writing the RAW file, as simple as that.
It seems that the camera didn't realize that a writing process was
still working on the RAW file, so, when I shot again, the writing
got messed up...

How long does the 4500 take to record a RAW file?

  • Olga

Jaime Regular Member • Posts: 301
Re: Hotpixel remapping: My results

Just read, I didn't press remap because it didn't find any hotpixel

AlexMld wrote:
Did you press Remap?
Or just Read?

jaime wrote:

I used the cpixmap app on my 4500 and it found no hotpixels, but
my 4500 has some hotpixels at 1/2 sec and above, I first used
deadpixeltest.exe and here are my results:

Do you think the cpixmap app doesn't work with the 4500??

Jaime Regular Member • Posts: 301
Re: Hotpixel remapping: My results

Ed, the hotpixels in my 4500 are visible in every shot above 1/2 secs, I want to remap because I don't like the NR function, I think it takes too long to finish the process.

Ed Rotberg wrote:
That's hard to say Jaime. You used a threshold of 60 luminence for
hot pixels. Who's to say what the Nikon internal remapping
software uses as a threshold.

Personally I have tried not to obsess about hot pixels too much.
First, they are mostly only visible for long exposures. Secondly
the NR function does work well in those cases. Third, if I can't
see them in my normal pixtures, I'm not going to compain about it.

I did the remapping on my images because of the occasoinal long
exposures that I do and the fact that there were 6 hot areas VERY
visible when I had NR turned off. But to be honest, I usually just
turn on NR for those cases. The nice thing about doing the remap
is that I can get away with forgetting to turn NR on, which
occaisonally happens, and I did not have to give up my camera to
get it done.

I would suggest just taking a 4 second shot with your lens cap on
and NR off, and then looking at it at 100% magnification on your
monitor. If you don't see any hot pixels jump out at you - don't
sweat it!

= Ed =

jaime wrote:

I used the cpixmap app on my 4500 and it found no hotpixels, but
my 4500 has some hotpixels at 1/2 sec and above, I first used
deadpixeltest.exe and here are my results:

Do you think the cpixmap app doesn't work with the 4500??

-- hide signature --

= Ed Rotberg =

'A waist is a terrible thing to mind'

OP AlexY Forum Member • Posts: 98
Re: Hotpixel remapping: My results

No wonder then,

"Read" reads the pixels that have been mapped prevoiusly, it doesn't search for new hot pixels. Since you don't have any hot pixels mapped they all are visible on your shots. Only "Remap" will search for hotpixels and include them into the map.

Alex

jaime wrote:
Just read, I didn't press remap because it didn't find any hotpixel

AlexMld wrote:
Did you press Remap?
Or just Read?

jaime wrote:

I used the cpixmap app on my 4500 and it found no hotpixels, but
my 4500 has some hotpixels at 1/2 sec and above, I first used
deadpixeltest.exe and here are my results:

Do you think the cpixmap app doesn't work with the 4500??

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads