Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 - problem - turning on to take photos

Started Oct 19, 2016 | Questions
Dedicated Amateur New Member • Posts: 4
Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 - problem - turning on to take photos

Would greatly appreciate any help with troubleshooting my Olympus which I cannot turn on to take photos.  The camera software may be messed up.  It reads SD cards and connects to a PC, but when I try to start the lens, it displays a battery icon.  The battery does charge.  One suspicion I have is that the camera believes the USB cable is attached even when that is not the case.

I bought this camera second hand, and it worked until I tried to charge it with an original Olympus USB cable.  When I turn the camera on, it displays the photos on the SD card.  When I press shutter or play, the battery icon appears instead of the lens engaging.

Unfortunately I cannot find a way to do a hard reset like on a smartphone or computer.  The reset button in the settings (which I can access) does not get rid of the problem.  If there was a way to truly restore to factory settings and get rid of any faulty software setting, the problem may be solved.

Thank you so much for any input.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 (mju Tough 8010)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Enders Shadow
Enders Shadow Veteran Member • Posts: 3,214
Re: Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 - problem - turning on to take photos

If it's still using a original battery, it's past its useful life. You can try carefully cleaning the battery contacts. But this sounds like a old battery that's developed high internal resistance. This isn't something a camera setting would cause.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Enders Shadow's gear list:Enders Shadow's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +21 more
OP Dedicated Amateur New Member • Posts: 4

Thank you for your time and response.  Will try a new battery and report.

elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 17,393

When connected, are you able to view the menu and do a full reset?

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI Sony Xperia XZ +1 more

Yes, I can press the reset option in the camera menu, but has no effect. Thanks.

I replaced the battery with a new fully charged one and the same problem persists.  When powering on the camera, "do not remove USB cable" message appears.  Then when pressing the "on" button, the image of a battery appears.  If I take the battery out and press the "on" button again, can get to the set up menu and to view photos on the sd card.  I feel challenged by this and want to find a solution one way or another.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads