Terrible Camera and Terrible Company!

Started Oct 19, 2016 | User reviews
Teachape New Member • Posts: 1
Terrible Camera and Terrible Company!

My wife purchased this Camera for me eight months ago.

I used it five times and it sat in my office the rest of the time.

I only had the camera in water two times and it never went deeper than two feet below the water surface.

The camera quit working so I took it to the company who sold it to my wife.

We had all of the correct paperwork to show its purchase date.

We paid well over $250.00 with tax for this camera.

I also own two expensive Cannons and onr Olympis camera.

The camera s\tore sent it to RICOH to have it repaired or replaced under waranty.

We just recieved a call stating the inbsides of the camera showed corrosin and RICOH will not cover the waranty.

Unbelivable a water proff camera corrodes from moisture and it is not the camera that caused the corrosion?

My wife waisted her money.

Great company, I would go to CostCo and purchas a camera that they will cover with a waranty before purchasing any RICHO product.

Terrible Camera and Company.

BK

Ricoh WG-20
14 megapixels • 2.7 screen • 28 – 140 mm (5×)
Announced: Feb 5, 2014
Teachape's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
awful
Action / sports
awful
Landscapes / scenery
awful
Portraits
awful
Low light (without flash)
awful
Flash photography (social)
awful
Studio / still life
awful
= community average
Tungsten Nordstein
Tungsten Nordstein Senior Member • Posts: 2,785
Re: Terrible Camera and Terrible Company!

Surely some mistake or misunderstanding? As it is a water-proof camera up to 33ft. If this is true, they are not fulfilling their legal requirements under warrantee. I would pursue it a bit harder. Talk to the store again. Surely they can see the problem with this response. At least you could call Ricoh/Pentax direct.

Tungsten Nordstein's gear list:Tungsten Nordstein's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma dp2 Quattro Ricoh GR II +8 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,498

The problem with waterproof cameras has always been that the rubber seals are incredibly vulnerable to sand particles, dirt, salt crystals, hairs, etc. If you look at reviews of "rugged" compacts from Nikon, Panasonic, Fujifilm, Ricoh, etc. on Amazon, you'll see a significant number of 1-star reviews where people say their camera leaked / flooded, and it wasn't covered by warranty. On dive trips, I've seen people lose thousands of dollars worth of camera gear to leaking O-rings.

I don't know what you do about it, except be stoic. When electronic circuit boards meet salt water, there is only ever one winner...

Joe

Al wants a bagel New Member • Posts: 14

I have quite a lot of experience with underwater cameras like yours, and every one I have ever owned required some sort of cleaning procedure to make sure the seals are clean after use (removal of foreign material in tech speak). I find that many cameras fail with similar issues because of the lack of care taken after their use.

Is this what happened in your case, I do not know. But it is just as plausible an answer as your claim that the camera is defective.

Al wants a bagel's gear list:Al wants a bagel's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Ricoh GR Fujifilm XQ2 Ricoh GR II Canon G3 X +29 more
FFF Regular Member • Posts: 355

I certainly feel your frustration.

But, otoh, i don't see you qualified to utter "awful" for about any functionality of this cam, as you have, as you say, close to no experience with it...

rondom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,435

FFF wrote:

I certainly feel your frustration.

But, otoh, i don't see you qualified to utter "awful" for about any functionality of this cam, as you have, as you say, close to no experience with it...

Obviously, this is a reflection of anger and frustration, and not the technical capabilities of the camera.

I had my share of horror stories with service centers (including Ricoh) and I can see where the reviewer is coming from. But unlike most of the companies, when things go terribly wrong with a Ricoh, it is easier to find a person who can solve your problems.

I suggest that the "reviewer" starts from here:

dc-support@nts.ricoh.co.jp

Even a copy and paste of his original post sent to the address above might help.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads