Moving pictures from camera to computer

Started Oct 18, 2016 | Questions
ghurstut New Member • Posts: 1
Moving pictures from camera to computer

What type connection cord do I need to connect my camera to my computer?  My camera is an Lumix/Panasonic DCM-LC43

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Lobalobo
Lobalobo Senior Member • Posts: 2,458
Re: Moving pictures from camera to computer

ghurstut wrote:

What type connection cord do I need to connect my camera to my computer? My camera is an Lumix/Panasonic DCM-LC43

Most older Lumix cameras use what looks like a mini-USB cable (larger connection than the micro-USB) or perhaps a devoted cable.  Would not have responded without being sure, but I'm writing to encourage you not to transfer photos that way, which is slow and clumsy. Pull the SD card and insert it in your computer; most laptops have an SD card slot; if not, card readers are cheap.

RemyW Regular Member • Posts: 198

Lobalobo wrote:

ghurstut wrote:

What type connection cord do I need to connect my camera to my computer? My camera is an Lumix/Panasonic DCM-LC43

Most older Lumix cameras use what looks like a mini-USB cable (larger connection than the micro-USB) or perhaps a devoted cable. Would not have responded without being sure, but I'm writing to encourage you not to transfer photos that way, which is slow and clumsy. Pull the SD card and insert it in your computer; most laptops have an SD card slot; if not, card readers are cheap.

And be sure to "lock" your SD card, to prevent Windows (MacOS?) from messing up your SD card. Deleting photo's should be done via the camera, not via the SD card on the PC, since some Lumix camera's make their own thumbnails and those won't be deleted by deleting the JPG/RAW file on the SD card...

- Remy

RemyW's gear list:RemyW's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic ZS100
Castaway
Castaway Veteran Member • Posts: 4,892

RemyW wrote:

Lobalobo wrote:

ghurstut wrote:

Most older Lumix cameras use what looks like a mini-USB cable (larger connection than the micro-USB) or perhaps a devoted cable. Would not have responded without being sure, but I'm writing to encourage you not to transfer photos that way, which is slow and clumsy. Pull the SD card and insert it in your computer; most laptops have an SD card slot; if not, card readers are cheap.

And be sure to "lock" your SD card, to prevent Windows (MacOS?) from messing up your SD card. Deleting photo's should be done via the camera, not via the SD card on the PC, since some Lumix camera's make their own thumbnails and those won't be deleted by deleting the JPG/RAW file on the SD card...

- Remy

I agree with previous posts.

Use a card reader.  Don't download from camera to computer.

Recommend backing up photos to separate hard drive. I actually back up to 2 separate hard drives. This is the first thing I do after downloading photos to computer.

Reformat card in camera not on computer.

-- hide signature --

Malcolm the Old Sea Dog
Galleries at http://www.pbase.com/oldseadog/galleries

Castaway's gear list:Castaway's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5400 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
Cyril Catt Veteran Member • Posts: 5,296

I agree with Malcolm.

Transfer via a card reader.

Backup on several other devices.

Reformat card in the camera

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Cyril Catt's gear list:Cyril Catt's gear list
Canon PowerShot TX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max +3 more
djddpr
djddpr Veteran Member • Posts: 7,068

I agree with all previous posts. I have used a inexpensive card reader since 2003 with perfect results. Cameras and computers have different operating systems. Using a usb card reader avoids conflicts between operating systems.  I have heard sad stories about files lost when camera battery had run out of power during transfer.

Lobalobo also gives wise advice.  It is prudent to never use computer to make a change to camera card, e.g., never cut and paste, rename, delete, or format.

David Dollevoet

djddpr's gear list:djddpr's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,192

RemyW wrote:

And be sure to "lock" your SD card, to prevent Windows (MacOS?) from messing up your SD card.

Good idea that. I never alter stuff on the computer but you never know what mischief it may get up to.

old jim
old jim Veteran Member • Posts: 4,907

Could you be talking about the LX3? Besides the SD card slot it did have 50mg internal memory for shooting W/O card? I had one years ago. I never used the internal memory!

Warmest regards,

P.S. I couldn't find Lumix/Panasonic DCM-LC43???

-- hide signature --

DP Review - Where else?
Old Jim

old jim's gear list:old jim's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
Cyril Catt Veteran Member • Posts: 5,296

Jim, the DMC-LC43 was a 2003 model with AA batteries.

See: https://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmclc43

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Cyril Catt's gear list:Cyril Catt's gear list
Canon PowerShot TX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max +3 more
old jim
old jim Veteran Member • Posts: 4,907

Thanks Cyril! That was definitely before my digital life. Interestingly, it's also before DPR Camera information data base, or just never included in it? AA batteries? We really have come a long way LOL

Warmest regards,

-- hide signature --

DP Review - Where else?
Old Jim

old jim's gear list:old jim's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads