Image quality of D3400 vs D3300

Started Oct 18, 2016 | Discussions
MinAZ
MinAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 4,439
Image quality of D3400 vs D3300

How does the overall IQ in the new D3400 camera compare to the older D3300? What improvements were made (if any)?

Nikon D3300 Nikon D3400
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 10,778
DPR reviews

MinAZ wrote:

How does the overall IQ in the new D3400 camera compare to the older D3300? What improvements were made (if any)?/

Both models have been reviewed by DPR. Check out the reviews:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/modest-updates-nikon-d3400-review

romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 4,037
Re: Image quality of D3400 vs D3300

Not a lot according to all the reviews. I doubt if many on here have both cameras to do a compare.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D800 Nikon D5300 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 11,230

romfordbluenose wrote:

Not a lot according to all the reviews. I doubt if many on here have both cameras to do a compare.

I did find IQ moved a step up, when moving from D3200 to D3300. Alas, no experience with the D3400, as yet.

The D3400 samples published by DPReview look promising, though.

-- hide signature --

Tord_2 (at) photographer (dot) net
Mostly Nikon V1, V2, J5, & D600, user

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +25 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 307

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

romfordbluenose wrote:

I did find IQ moved a step up, when moving from D3200 to D3300. Alas, no experience with the D3400, as yet.

When they moved from the D3200 to the D3300 you got 3 very big improvements, first they remove the AA filter for increased sharpness, 2nd they added the new EXPEED 4 processor which has a large impact on the out-of-camera JPG files (not that much on raw files) and third and finnally they changed the sensor from one made by Nikon to one made by Sony, both sensors are 24Mp but they are not the same, check the high ISO limit.

Those 3 changes are extremly large changes under the hood even when the cameras seem so similar, but in the case of the D3300 to D3400 they didn't made any change that can have an influence on the IQ. You can read the new review here on the site, at the end the D3400 is the only Nikon DSLR I've seen that didn't manage to earn a "medal". If you can get the D3300 with the AF-P kit then you are better with that option than getting a D3400, because they didn't improve the IQ but they did cost save on a few important areas (weaker flash, no mic port, no sensor cleaning). According to the review the D3400 don't even get the full version of the Snapbridge as you can't shoot remotely, which is one of the most important features you need on the app that is supposed to control the camera.

Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 11,230

Tomi O wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

romfordbluenose wrote:

When they moved from the D3200 to the D3300 you got 3 very big improvements, first they remove the AA filter for increased sharpness, 2nd they added the new EXPEED 4 processor which has a large impact on the out-of-camera JPG files (not that much on raw files) and third and finnally they changed the sensor from one made by Nikon to one made by Sony, both sensors are 24Mp but they are not the same, check the high ISO limit.

Those 3 changes are extremly large changes under the hood even when the cameras seem so similar, but in the case of the D3300 to D3400 they didn't made any change that can have an influence on the IQ. You can read the new review here on the site, at the end the D3400 is the only Nikon DSLR I've seen that didn't manage to earn a "medal". If you can get the D3300 with the AF-P kit then you are better with that option than getting a D3400, because they didn't improve the IQ but they did cost save on a few important areas (weaker flash, no mic port, no sensor cleaning). According to the review the D3400 don't even get the full version of the Snapbridge as you can't shoot remotely, which is one of the most important features you need on the app that is supposed to control the camera.

Tomi,

All helpful info, thanks!

I hadn't planned to get a D3400, and with a few details omitted (for instance, I do like built-in sensor cleaning), I am even less inclined to get one!

-- hide signature --

Tord_2 (at) photographer (dot) net
Mostly Nikon V1, V2, J5, & D600, user

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +25 more
MinAZ
OP MinAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 4,439

So does that mean that the loss of features in the D3400 is not adequately compensated by the slight increase in image quality over the D3300? If so, I might consider skipping the upgrade.

Tomi O wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

romfordbluenose wrote:

When they moved from the D3200 to the D3300 you got 3 very big improvements, first they remove the AA filter for increased sharpness, 2nd they added the new EXPEED 4 processor which has a large impact on the out-of-camera JPG files (not that much on raw files) and third and finnally they changed the sensor from one made by Nikon to one made by Sony, both sensors are 24Mp but they are not the same, check the high ISO limit.

Those 3 changes are extremly large changes under the hood even when the cameras seem so similar, but in the case of the D3300 to D3400 they didn't made any change that can have an influence on the IQ. You can read the new review here on the site, at the end the D3400 is the only Nikon DSLR I've seen that didn't manage to earn a "medal". If you can get the D3300 with the AF-P kit then you are better with that option than getting a D3400, because they didn't improve the IQ but they did cost save on a few important areas (weaker flash, no mic port, no sensor cleaning). According to the review the D3400 don't even get the full version of the Snapbridge as you can't shoot remotely, which is one of the most important features you need on the app that is supposed to control the camera.

earthbound_ca Senior Member • Posts: 2,228
Re: What increase in IQ?

MinAZ wrote:

So does that mean that the loss of features in the D3400 is not adequately compensated by the slight increase in image quality over the D3300? If so, I might consider skipping the upgrade.

Don't be fooled by DPReview's JPEGs.

FWIW, I've played with DPReview's low and high ISO RAW files in NX-D: there's really nothing in them except: 1) greater propensity for moire in the D3400 file at equal sharpness levels at low ISO vis-a-vis the D3300's file and 2) slightly less chroma noise in the D3400 file at high ISO (and I mean very slightly).

Because there is extremely little difference in RAW (@ equal Picture Control + NR turned off in both cameras' files + a little extra sharpening to compensate for the D3300's weaker in-camera default setting), the differences in JPEGs are due only to two things: default Picture Control at default settings (which DPReview employs for its test images) and a change in the High ISO Noise Reduction setting (which, by default, is very strong in the D3300 (I turn it off for all ISOs): I can't speak to the D3400's NR settings). Otherwise, from what I can discern based on DPReview's test images, there's not a big difference between files from the two cameras. Again, RAW shows little if any difference; as far as I can tell, therefore, any differences in JPEGs can be compensated for in Picture Controls + NR setting.

One benefit of the D3400 is 1/4 step sharpening in Picture Contols in NX-D. I haven't researched what's available in-camera: presumably 1/4 steps? I don't know.

Anyway, because of its different default settings/configuration, while moire is more easily encountered, the D3400's files are bound to appeal to users who otherwise have been turned off by Nikon's weak default sharpening settings to date. +1 for the D3400 for anyone shy to menu dive: That's about all I can see based on these files.

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 307

MinAZ wrote:

Tomi O wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

romfordbluenose wrote:

Basically, there is no increase on quality over the D3300 if you customize a bit the settings. The main reasons to buy the D3400 are the app Snapbridge (but you get a nerfed version of the app) and the AF-P lens, but  you can get the AF-P on the D3300 as a kit too. If you compare both cameras using the same lens the D3300 is a better and more complete camera, thats the biggest issue with the camera because is a very good camera but is still worse than others Nikon option that cost less like the D3300 or a refurbished D5500

Michel Cojan
Michel Cojan Contributing Member • Posts: 694

Theoretically this should help (???)

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/modest-updates-nikon-d3400-review/3

Personal opinion (if of any importance) : slight increase in "acuity" for the 3400

Cheers,

MC

MinAZ wrote:

How does the overall IQ in the new D3400 camera compare to the older D3300? What improvements were made (if any)?

Michel Cojan's gear list:Michel Cojan's gear list
Nikon D3400 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads