Let's make iOS photography better

Started Oct 10, 2016 | Discussions
manta1900 Regular Member • Posts: 152
Let's make iOS photography better
2

Hi all, I am an iOS developer and I am making an app to improve camera results. In order to make it even better I need your help. Whoever is interested in beta testing something revolutionary is welcome. Until now I improved details, noise levels, dynamic range and white balancing with the following samples as a result:

iOS stock camera:

App:

iOS stock camera:

App:

The samples were taken with a humble iPhone 5c(not S). Please view in full resolution.

To enter the beta testing there are some rules:

1. Must have iOS 8 or greater.

2. Share the samples in this thread (iOS and app for comparison). Instead of iOS stock camera you can use any other and mention it's from an app (not which one).

3. Never mention the name of the app. That would be advertising and DPReview should ban us both.

4. Due to long exposures and time to take such a photo (around 30 seconds). Must have a tripod or set on steady surface with a static scene.

5. Must have testflight app from apple (free) to receive the app.

 manta1900's gear list:manta1900's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Apple iPhone 5c
bigley Ling Veteran Member • Posts: 4,448
Re: Let's make iOS photography better

Not bad at all. Wondering would your app be able to take advantage of the raw capture capability from the newer iPhones with 12mp camera components? Having an all in one camera app that can capture raw in the background and develop a useable high end jpg without user intervention would be awesome

 bigley Ling's gear list:bigley Ling's gear list
Apple iPhone X
OP manta1900 Regular Member • Posts: 152
Re: Let's make iOS photography better

bigley Ling wrote:

Not bad at all. Wondering would your app be able to take advantage of the raw capture capability from the newer iPhones with 12mp camera components? Having an all in one camera app that can capture raw in the background and develop a useable high end jpg without user intervention would be awesome

This is exactly what it does. It also works for older iPhones/Pads/Pods (with iOS 8+). The result is a high end jpg (the images are from an iPhone 5c, I believe there results from newer devices will be WAY better). If you are interested you can PM me your e-mail to include you in the beta-testing list and capture your own samples.

 manta1900's gear list:manta1900's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Apple iPhone 5c
hekoheko Regular Member • Posts: 133
Re: Let's make iOS photography better

You can count me in!

I have iPhone 7 Plus.

I've been doing camera app comparisons with this new model.

Those samples look great. Looks like Apple's sharpening/noise reduction combo isn't ruining the images in those samples.

Your samples look similar what the Cortex Camera does on Android. Eliminating noise and keeping all those lovely micro-details in place.

But Cortex Camera isn't currently taking advantage of iOS's raw capabilities.

OP manta1900 Regular Member • Posts: 152
Re: Let's make iOS photography better

hekoheko wrote:

You can count me in!

I have iPhone 7 Plus.

I've been doing camera app comparisons with this new model.

Those samples look great. Looks like Apple's sharpening/noise reduction combo isn't ruining the images in those samples.

Your samples look similar what the Cortex Camera does on Android. Eliminating noise and keeping all those lovely micro-details in place.

But Cortex Camera isn't currently taking advantage of iOS's raw capabilities.

PM me your e-mail to get a testflight invitation today.

 manta1900's gear list:manta1900's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Apple iPhone 5c
hekoheko Regular Member • Posts: 133
My initial results
1

Scene one is with very good lighting and the Scene 2 is with poor lighting.

Stock App Scene 1

The App Scene 1

Stock App Scene 2

The App Scene 2

It's very clear that The App produces much greater results. Image is free of artifacts and noise.

There are slight differences with white balance also. The App produces slightly cooler images.

tx182 New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Let's make iOS photography better

unfortunately it doesn't work here! It takes the photo and then freezes completely!

hekoheko Regular Member • Posts: 133
Re: Let's make iOS photography better

tx182 wrote:

unfortunately it doesn't work here! It takes the photo and then freezes completely!

First time after it starts to save the final image it asks permission to use your photos. Click yes and restart the app and take another one. Then the photo comes to your gallery.

hekoheko Regular Member • Posts: 133
Here is another test
1

Stock App Scene 3. Note that the HDR was on.

The App Scene 3

tx182 New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Here is another test
1

thank you @hekoheko

Stock App

The App

OP manta1900 Regular Member • Posts: 152
Re: Here is another test

Thank you for your wonderful samples. Some comments and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I intend in version 1.2 to include portrait mode for iPhone 7plus and EV bias +/- to fine tune the shot. I want to keep it as minimal as possible.

The HDR-on shot puzzles me. I tend to like more my HDR technique (my research) but I am the last one to say. Which was closer to what you saw?

 manta1900's gear list:manta1900's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Apple iPhone 5c
hekoheko Regular Member • Posts: 133
Re: Here is another test

manta1900 wrote:

Thank you for your wonderful samples. Some comments and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I intend in version 1.2 to include portrait mode for iPhone 7plus and EV bias +/- to fine tune the shot. I want to keep it as minimal as possible.

The HDR-on shot puzzles me. I tend to like more my HDR technique (my research) but I am the last one to say. Which was closer to what you saw?

Exposure was so different between these two that I can't tell which was more accurate.

I even tapped the same target on both apps to expose/focus.

Also the light source flares inside the lens cover or something that results in poor contrast in the final image.

I like the white balance from the stock app better, not necessarily more accurate but I like warmer than reality white balance in my photos :).

OP manta1900 Regular Member • Posts: 152
Re: Here is another test

hekoheko wrote:

Exposure was so different between these two that I can't tell which was more accurate.

In version 1.2 you will be able to fine tune.

I even tapped the same target on both apps to expose/focus.

Tapping is only focusing, exposure will be set manually in v1.2 via exposure +/- buttons.

Also the light source flares inside the lens cover or something that results in poor contrast in the final image.

I hope not in my app, I disabled that. I believe it can take great shots without (if not handheld).

I like the white balance from the stock app better, not necessarily more accurate but I like warmer than reality white balance in my photos :).

Which is the right color for the cocoa (most realistic)? This is the hardest to represent right. If I get this right afterwards someone can apply any filter, reality is the hard part.

 manta1900's gear list:manta1900's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Apple iPhone 5c
OP manta1900 Regular Member • Posts: 152
Re: Here is another test

Thank you for your sample. The wood is puzzling me, it seems too cold, what is more accurate?

I would love to see a night shot from 6s since I have no such samples and i believe it will do a fine job.

 manta1900's gear list:manta1900's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Apple iPhone 5c
bigley Ling Veteran Member • Posts: 4,448
Re: Let's make iOS photography better

manta1900 wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

Not bad at all. Wondering would your app be able to take advantage of the raw capture capability from the newer iPhones with 12mp camera components? Having an all in one camera app that can capture raw in the background and develop a useable high end jpg without user intervention would be awesome

This is exactly what it does. It also works for older iPhones/Pads/Pods (with iOS 8+). The result is a high end jpg (the images are from an iPhone 5c, I believe there results from newer devices will be WAY better). If you are interested you can PM me your e-mail to include you in the beta-testing list and capture your own samples.

Please do tell how is this possible? As prior to iOS10 I thought Apple did not allow access or id not have the capability to generate a RAW DNG file?

 bigley Ling's gear list:bigley Ling's gear list
Apple iPhone X
bigley Ling Veteran Member • Posts: 4,448
Re: My initial results

nice test scene shots,was wondering is there a reason there is no EXIF for the new app?

 bigley Ling's gear list:bigley Ling's gear list
Apple iPhone X
OP manta1900 Regular Member • Posts: 152
Re: My initial results

bigley Ling wrote:

nice test scene shots,was wondering is there a reason there is no EXIF for the new app?

I'll might add if it's absolutely necessary (will be almost identical to the iOS shot).

 manta1900's gear list:manta1900's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Apple iPhone 5c
hekoheko Regular Member • Posts: 133
Re: My initial results
1

Stock App Scene 4

The App Scene 4

Stock App Scene 5

The App Scene 5

The App seems to produce much greater dynamic range, but also looks less contrasty. I might add a little contrast. Stock App didn't have HDR on.

OP manta1900 Regular Member • Posts: 152
Re: My initial results

Amazing samples to find inaccuracies, you are helping a lot.

hekoheko wrote:

The App seems to produce much greater dynamic range, but also looks less contrasty. I might add a little contrast. Stock App didn't have HDR on.

You are right, can you try with HDR on in iPhone (just to have a comparison)?

Also the stock camera images were down-scaled to 1536 × 2048 pixels and no real comparison can be made.

 manta1900's gear list:manta1900's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Apple iPhone 5c
hekoheko Regular Member • Posts: 133
Re: My initial results
1

I shot new samples with HDR on. This time posted through imgur.

In addition to contrast, little saturation wouldn't hurt.

Stock App HDR on

The App

Stock App HDR on

The App

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads