Another 105 f1.4E - examples

Started Oct 7, 2016 | Discussions
Lance B
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 34,114
Another 105 f1.4E - examples

Tried out the 105 f1.4E yesterday. Unfortunately, no people subject matter just a few around a local botanic gardens and some in my wife's garden. So, no artistic shots, more just checking sharpness, bokeh, AF accuracy and get a handle on the lens.

All shot with the D810. All these wide open unless specified. Best viewed at 100%.

Waratah flower with bee at bottom of image coming in for a landing - f2

Water Dragon soaking up the last of the warmth of the bricks

Silver Gull posing

100% crop of above showing the incredible detail even wide open! Look around the eye.

Grass Tree "flower". I like the OOF areas, looking a little bit "Monet"

Bee on flower. Again, wide open

100% crop of above

100% crop of above

Dare I say 3D? 

Wife's Hippeatsrums f8

Hippeatrums f8

-- hide signature --
 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +19 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
YRUNVS
YRUNVS Senior Member • Posts: 1,154
Re: Another 105 f1.4E - examples

Nice shots, live the color in the first and the last two especially. Thanks for sharing!

YRUNVS's gear list:YRUNVS's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Marcin 3M
Marcin 3M Senior Member • Posts: 1,669

Bokeh in the solar clock image looks a little weird to me.

-- hide signature --

Marcin_3M

Marcin 3M's gear list:Marcin 3M's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Nik Capture NX Phase One Capture One Pro Portrait Professional Studio 64 +1 more
Lance B
OP Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 34,114

Marcin 3M wrote:

A product of the background and the light at the time.

-- hide signature --

Marcin_3M

-- hide signature --
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +19 more
Lance B

YRUNVS wrote:

Nice shots, live the color in the first and the last two especially. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you very much for your kind comments. Much appreciated.:-)

-- hide signature --
MisterHairy Senior Member • Posts: 2,561

OOh. Is the Leseurii water dragon in your wife's garden? Most jealous if so.

-- hide signature --

Really beautiful photograph!

MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Leica Q2 Leica Q2 Monochrom Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-T4 +19 more
ormdig
ormdig Senior Member • Posts: 2,576

Hi Lance, obviously the optics are remarkable. I am wondering what you think of the handling i.e. focus speed and accuracy etc. Thanks for putting these up,

-- hide signature --

Pete

ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +7 more
Lance B

ormdig wrote:

Hi Lance, obviously the optics are remarkable. I am wondering what you think of the handling i.e. focus speed and accuracy etc. Thanks for putting these up,

Focus speed is quite fast, not exotic tele fast or 24-70 f2.8 VR, or 70-200 f2.8 fast, but fast enough for given purpose.

Thank you very much for your kind comment, Pete.

-- hide signature --

Pete

-- hide signature --
Lance B

MisterHairy wrote:

OOh. Is the Leseurii water dragon in your wife's garden? Most jealous if so.

Unfortunately not. However, we have had them in the garden previously.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --
Jim Keye Senior Member • Posts: 2,466
These are all flat and have no 3D pop

I'm joking. These look really nice (with one exception, IMO).

Lance B wrote:

I've seen this result in one other shot elsewhere, where the out-of-focus background takes on a slightly curved-in-motion effect, and I'm really not a fan. I'm sure some careful testing would reveal if it's focus distance, subject-to-background distance, some combination, etc. Because it doesn't show up in most of the shots I've seen.

But otherwise, what really gorgeous rendering.

DJF77
DJF77 Senior Member • Posts: 1,254
Re: These are all flat and have no 3D pop

The lens looks amazing to me, I've no idea why people have such a beef with this lens just because 'Angry' doesn't like it. Very nice pics btw

fPrime
fPrime Veteran Member • Posts: 3,727

Lance B wrote:

Marcin 3M wrote:

A bit of a disingenuous explanation, this is entirely a product of the lens. The 105 E produces swirly, cats-eye bokeh as noted above and on many previous examples posted to this forum.

fPrime

fPrime's gear list:fPrime's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Leica M8 Nikon D60 Nikon D1X +3 more
H o g n e
H o g n e Contributing Member • Posts: 591

Thanks for sharing Lance. I particularly enjoyed the seagull shots and the background of the "Monet".

H o g n e's gear list:H o g n e's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +7 more
VadymA Senior Member • Posts: 1,590

fPrime wrote:

Lance B wrote:

Marcin 3M wrote:

A bit of a disingenuous explanation, this is entirely a product of the lens. The 105 E produces swirly, cats-eye bokeh as noted above and on many previous examples posted to this forum.

fPrime

Just like many other fast primes before 105 E, as was also demonstrated. The only difference is that nobody viewed it as a bad thing before TAP said so. I like TAP, he is a great character, but he is biased in his opinion, so don't take his every word for granted.

VadymA's gear list:VadymA's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +7 more
VadymA Senior Member • Posts: 1,590

I used to shoot Sigma, so the sharpness looks Ok to me, but not spectacular. The highlights are blown on many shots, ISO is jumping from 64 to 640. Are you in Auto mode? With a gear like that you should only use Manual IMO, the difference in the results and the freedom in light control will blow you mind. Just my honest opinion.

VadymA's gear list:VadymA's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +7 more
momotus Regular Member • Posts: 474
Re: These are all flat and have no 3D pop

Jim Keye wrote:

I'm joking. These look really nice (with one exception, IMO).

I've seen this result in one other shot elsewhere, where the out-of-focus background takes on a slightly curved-in-motion effect, and I'm really not a fan. I'm sure some careful testing would reveal if it's focus distance, subject-to-background distance, some combination, etc. Because it doesn't show up in most of the shots I've seen.

But otherwise, what really gorgeous rendering.

Yep, this is the 'cat's eye' bokeh that there is so much snarking about with regard to this lens, particularly of late. When you have large OOF objects near the edge of the frame, it manifests as obvious cat's eyes, like with out of focus Christmas lights, etc. With busier backgrounds like this shot, it can look more like the curved effect you mention.

This is pretty common with wide-aperture, fast short teles, because of the partial eclipsing of the clear aperture, because of finite size elements. See the Zeiss 135mm APO Sonnar or the Nikkor 58mm Noct, for other examples. (Both of those lenses seem to be well regarded in some circles, for some reason)

It's an effect that can be used to advantage, but it's best to understand what's going on. In fact, some people pay good money for a Noct, just to shoot wide open for this.

Jim

Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 7,788

fPrime wrote:

Lance B wrote:

Marcin 3M wrote:

A bit of a disingenuous explanation, this is entirely a product of the lens. The 105 E produces swirly, cats-eye bokeh as noted above and on many previous examples posted to this forum.

A bit of a disingenuous response, as it most definitely IS dependent upon the structure of the background, in combination with the lens geometry.

Every long, fast lens will do this.  It is not specific to the 105/1.4E.

-- hide signature --

Source credit: Prov 2:6
- Marianne

MisterHairy Senior Member • Posts: 2,561

fPrime wrote:

Lance B wrote:

Marcin 3M wrote:

fPrime

How does the much vaunted Nokton handle similar situations? The same or worse? Oh.

-- hide signature --

MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Leica Q2 Leica Q2 Monochrom Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-T4 +19 more
fPrime

Marianne Oelund wrote:

fPrime wrote:

Lance B wrote:

Marcin 3M wrote:

A bit of a disingenuous response, as it most definitely IS dependent upon the structure of the background, in combination with the lens geometry.

Not really, you can see we were all discussing the photo in question in reference to "this". Lance B was clearly trying to deflect the cause of the bad bokeh away from the lens and onto the light/background. In that sense my comment here correctly states that in "this" photo only the lens is at fault because the same background shot with a 105 DC wouldn't have produced the swirly bokeh.

Every long, fast lens will do this. It is not specific to the 105/1.4E.

Be more specific, please. The cats-eye bokeh is certainly not unique to the 105E. But, that's hardly the point. Please show us examples of swirly bokeh for the 105 DC.

fPrime

fPrime

MisterHairy wrote:

fPrime wrote:

Lance B wrote:

Marcin 3M wrote:

fPrime

How does the much vaunted Nokton handle similar situations? The same or worse? Oh.

Do show us, we're waiting.

fPrime

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads