Canon 5D Mk IV Live View Electronic Spirit Level Missing?

Started Oct 5, 2016 | Questions
Canon5Dman New Member • Posts: 4
Canon 5D Mk IV Live View Electronic Spirit Level Missing?

Just had the Mk IV delivered today and can't wait to get out and give it a test!

However I have just discovered that for some reason the electronic spirit level is not showing in live view.  I have checked the menu settings for 'INFO button LV display options' - 'Live View info switch setting' and switch setting 3 is set to include the level. The histogram and other information is shown but not the level.

The level works in the viewfinder and if you press the 'Info' button twice in 'non live view' but not when live view is activated.

Was just wondering if anyone else has this problem or can tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Scriv
Scriv Contributing Member • Posts: 791
Re: Canon 5D Mk IV Live View Electronic Spirit Level Missing?

Canon5Dman wrote:

Just had the Mk IV delivered today and can't wait to get out and give it a test!

However I have just discovered that for some reason the electronic spirit level is not showing in live view. I have checked the menu settings for 'INFO button LV display options' - 'Live View info switch setting' and switch setting 3 is set to include the level. The histogram and other information is shown but not the level.

The level works in the viewfinder and if you press the 'Info' button twice in 'non live view' but not when live view is activated.

Was just wondering if anyone else has this problem or can tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

Do you have AF face tracking enabled? If so the level will not be displayed, see page 302 of the manual.

Scriv's gear list:Scriv's gear list
Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +8 more
OP Canon5Dman New Member • Posts: 4

Thanks for pointing that out Scriv,  I thought it must be one of the settings and not a fault.

Shashwat Parhi New Member • Posts: 1

Thanks for pointing out the AF face tracking setting. Now I can see the level but no histogram. Any ideas?

mmarian Senior Member • Posts: 1,900

I can see histogram and the level in one window at the sane time. It just needs to be properly set up in the LV display options. The set up of some menus can be a bit confusing. Some require confirmation by pressing OK  button, some take effect as soon as they are changed. One needs to pay attention to this anomaly.

baran
baran Regular Member • Posts: 211

Hi, I'm having the same problem. Level can be set on/off in the LV options and works properly. The histogram just won't show, regardless the settings. Arghh...!

baran
baran Regular Member • Posts: 211

Shashwat Parhi wrote:

Thanks for pointing out the AF face tracking setting. Now I can see the level but no histogram. Any ideas?

okay, I found it. Unless you enable exposure simulation (shoot menu, tab 5), there will be no histogram in the LV.

pasqualerose New Member • Posts: 2

Scriv wrote:

Do you have AF face tracking enabled? If so the level will not be displayed, see page 302 of the manual.

Hi I am having the same problem.  Only even after turning the AF face tracking off the electronic level is still not being displayed. I turned it off under menu setting AF #4 "Auto pt set:iTR AF" I disabled it there. Is there another place to turn it off?

Thanks!

pasqualerose New Member • Posts: 2

ok. I found the right way to do it.

Jim-Pittsford New Member • Posts: 2

Awesome. Turning off Face-tracking was the trick. I wasted a lot of time before reading your post!

-- hide signature --

Jim in Pittsford

DotCom Editor Veteran Member • Posts: 7,442
Bubble level is more accurate

I still prefer to slip a multi-axis bubble level into the shoe mount. The camera's electronic level is accurate only to within 2 degrees. The bubble level is perfectly accurate and doesn't eat up any LCD space. In fact, I always keep one plus a spare in my gear backpack.

DotCom Editor's gear list:DotCom Editor's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads