Angry Photographer proves the 105/1.4E isn't "flat"

Started Oct 4, 2016 | Discussions
Art Jacks Veteran Member • Posts: 3,063
Re: Still waiting...

Would it not be better if you spent your time on  your busy professional photography life using the equipment you have decided is best suited for your needs rather than spending time here making antagonistic posts just because everyone does not share your opinion ? You have your selection of equipment, I have mine the fact that they do not match should be of no importance to either of us.

primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 5,122

Art Jacks wrote:

Would it not be better if you spent your time on your busy professional photography life using the equipment you have decided is best suited for your needs rather than spending time here making antagonistic posts just because everyone does not share your opinion ? You have your selection of equipment, I have mine the fact that they do not match should be of no importance to either of us.

This is a gear forum, folks are gonna debate gear. Clearly the 105 DC is the winner. Tell HLSM or whatever his name is too

Terry Breedlove
Terry Breedlove Senior Member • Posts: 1,215
Re: TAP's 105/1.4E review is vindicated

Not a Trump supporter but no that is not what he said really . He gave a list of supporters and yes in that list was educated and uneducated supporters.. the media created the rest of the story and fed it to you in support of $hillary.

Terry Breedlove's gear list:Terry Breedlove's gear list
Nikon D2X Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +4 more
MrScrooge Contributing Member • Posts: 746

primeshooter wrote:

Art Jacks wrote:

Would it not be better if you spent your time on your busy professional photography life using the equipment you have decided is best suited for your needs rather than spending time here making antagonistic posts just because everyone does not share your opinion ? You have your selection of equipment, I have mine the fact that they do not match should be of no importance to either of us.

This is a gear forum, folks are gonna debate gear. Clearly the 105 DC is the winner. Tell HLSM or whatever his name is too

I preferred the one on the left

VadymA Senior Member • Posts: 1,487
I am tired of this

I really wish this thread reaches 150 an dies asap. Angry Photog is just a guy on the Internet who is entitled to his opinion no matter how ridiculous it is. His opinion is based on certain beliefs, the most strongest of which is that glass is evil. It may have some merits, but they are too negligible in real life photography to make any difference. We are really splitting hair here. Just google 104 1.4 portraits you will see a lot of examples, some of them pop, like the one I show below, some of them don't. The ones that pop are usually head shots, those that don't are usually taken from a great distance, full body shots, like those posted by Mr. Z. I am starting to believe this might be the case for any lens and more of a general "rule" of 3D pop, then anything else.

The key point is that FF photographers are now have a 105 lens that is several stops faster than its older siblings. And this is HUGE. A lens that stays on my D300 for 90% of the time is 85 1.4D, which is like 120 on FF. Not because it is sharp, or pop, but because it gives me tremendous versatility that I cannon achieve with any other of my lenses. It gives me the best focal vew so I rarely crop my shots, it gives me good distance from the subject most of the time, great compression when I need it, great versatility in terms of subject isolation, and allows to keep my ISO low in practically any situation I can imagine. I am certain there are a lot of FF photographers who will appreciate having the same choice with 105 1.4 like I do with my 85 1.4.

As for the price, I still think it sucks, and for that reason I will continue being on the pessimists side... unless I win a lottery of course šŸ˜„

Here is the image that pops I was referring to. Hope the author doesn't mind, his name is at the bottom of the screenshot. Let's give this pointless debate a rest.

VadymA's gear list:VadymA's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +7 more
primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 5,122

MrScrooge wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

Art Jacks wrote:

I preferred the one on the left

Yeh, on version two. Ā 

Jim Keye Senior Member • Posts: 2,248
Re: I am tired of this

VadymA wrote:

I really wish this thread reaches 150 an dies asap.

I've got great news for you! You don't have to read these threads...

fPrime
fPrime Senior Member • Posts: 2,952
Re: TAP's 105/1.4E review remains invalid

phaedin wrote:

The fact that major well known and respected reviewers such as DXO, SLRGear, Photography life, Lens Rentals and numerous others have not discovered this amazing lens secret. That Photographers from every other manufacturer have not discovered this, is really mind blowing.

What you wrote above only shows how unaware of the issues you are. Test sites care about lens aspects that they can measure and quantify in numbers. As 3D pop clearly isn't a measurable thing, that drops DxO, Lens Rentals, and SLRGear from relevance on the subject right there. But it should also be equally obvious that Zeiss 3D pop has been talked about since days of film... use Google search before spouting off incorrect nonsense about lens history.

And what do you know of Nasim Mansurov of Photography Life? Little, apparently, as he wrote the following on his review of the Zeiss Distagon 35/2 just to blow your mind: Microcontrast is not always better on Zeiss lenses, but the drawing style / 3D look / beautiful colors usually are. (https://photographylife.com/reviews/zeiss-distagon-35mm-f2-zf2/6). Nasim clearly sees and believes in 3D pop. As you seem to be enamored by him maybe now you will too?

That a foul mouthed, abusive, basement reviewer has "discovered" this, who for "evidence" posts completely unacceptable images that, at best show a complete lack of scientific methodology, and at worst, are deliberately manipulated to try to prove this theory.

Nothing has been proved, your images have been shown to be completely useless for trying to prove the theory, but yet you continue to ignore that evidence and scream from the top of your lungs that you are correct.

I think we all know who is all worked up and screaming here... you, because the evidence came out against your preconceived notions. Sorry that Marianne's comparison of TAP's pictures so convincingly showed the 105E as flat that you feel the need to rail against the obvious that it's "unproven". Here it is again with the 105 DC on the right.

Show it on your iPhone to everyone and ask which is more 3D. Get used to losing.

Should a boyfriend have to apologize to his girlfriend if he kisses someone else in her dream? It didnt happen, yet she "saw" it. OR are you going to assert that you have superior eyesight?

Non sequitur. Sigh.

Come back when you have actual proof, which should be easy since you have all the other manufacturers to go to as well.

Says the "expert" with a consumer grade D7100 and three consumer zoom lenses.

fPrime

fPrime's gear list:fPrime's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D200 Canon EOS 5D Nikon D1X Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro
volks 1
volks 1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,684

The hostility here is mind boggling. Chill out.

-- hide signature --

Keeping it light and simple.

volks 1's gear list:volks 1's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR

volks 1 wrote:

I don't mind hostile replies as long as they contribute to my wish Only nine postsĀ to goĀ 

Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +7 more
H o g n e
H o g n e Contributing Member • Posts: 559

VadymA wrote:

volks 1 wrote:

I don't mind hostile replies as long as they contribute to my wish Only nine posts to go

H o g n e's gear list:H o g n e's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon 85mm F1.8G +9 more
volks 1

VadymA wrote:

volks 1 wrote:

I don't mind hostile replies as long as they contribute to my wish Only nine posts to go

Your turn Ā 8 now.

-- hide signature --

volks 1 wrote:

VadymA wrote:

volks 1 wrote:

Your turn 8 now.

Let's do it.

Marianne, you have a chance to withdraw this entire thread.Ā It was great but I does not make this forum look good IMO. The discussion about 3D pop is reservedĀ to Sigma forum and we, Bayer shooter, should notĀ  descend to that level Amen

L Copps Senior Member • Posts: 1,608

I still don't see any 3D pop with this picture.  The subject could be a print and would look exactly the same.    One thing I do notice, as the picture is flattened so we can have corner to corner sharpness perfection, all features like the nose collapse and look smaller.  Not a good tradeoff in my opinion (others may not notice).  Our eyes do not see the world this way:  translating a spherically oriented image onto a flat plane

Another example:

http://foto-info.si/review-of-nikon-af-s-105mm-f1-4e-ed-and-comparison-with-nikon-af-s-85mm-f1-4g/

L Copps's gear list:L Copps's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +10 more
volks 1

-- hide signature --

fPrime
fPrime Senior Member • Posts: 2,952

L Copps wrote:

I still don't see any 3D pop with this picture. The subject could be a print and would look exactly the same. One thing I do notice, as the picture is flattened so we can have corner to corner sharpness perfection, all features like the nose collapse and look smaller. Not a good tradeoff in my opinion (others may not notice). Our eyes do not see the world this way: translating a spherically oriented image onto a flat plane

Another example:

http://foto-info.si/review-of-nikon-af-s-105mm-f1-4e-ed-and-comparison-with-nikon-af-s-85mm-f1-4g/

Agreed, and that's even after it's probably been aggressively Photoshopped.  Without a comparison 105 DC photo it's worthless to this discussion.  (Don't anyone think we've overlooked that none of our 105E/105DC owners on here has been brave enough to post a 1:1 comparison in RAW)

fPrime

fPrime's gear list:fPrime's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D200 Canon EOS 5D Nikon D1X Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro
Terry Breedlove
Terry Breedlove Senior Member • Posts: 1,215
Confusing 3d pop

In that example you are confusing 3D pop with the more distorted image from the 85mm focal length. The closer object (nose) being more pronounced and the further objects falling away.

Terry Breedlove's gear list:Terry Breedlove's gear list
Nikon D2X Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +4 more

L Copps wrote:

I still don't see any 3D pop with this picture. The subject could be a print and would look exactly the same. One thing I do notice, as the picture is flattened so we can have corner to corner sharpness perfection, all features like the nose collapse and look smaller. Not a good tradeoff in my opinion (others may not notice). Our eyes do not see the world this way: translating a spherically oriented image onto a flat plane

Another example:

To my eyes, your examples show exactly what I stated earlier - close-up shots pop much better than the distant shots. My example is a screenshot, further converted by DPR processing. The original when looking on a good screen pops very well, but maybe the entire pop debate is very subjective. We should not bash the lens just because we all see the world slightly differently. We are not computers assembled on the same line in China. The advantage of 1.4 over 2.0 is great for practical applications beyond any bokeh. There are no other alternatives in 105, so koodos to Nikon for giving this option. If there were sacrifices made to achieve that, that's limitation of technology. If you really want pop and nothing else, just use the older 2.0. 1.4 will do better in many practical applications when 2.0 is not enough.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads