Angry Photographer proves the 105/1.4E isn't "flat"

Started Oct 4, 2016 | Discussions
Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 7,779
Angry Photographer proves the 105/1.4E isn't "flat"

After all his bluster decrying the failings of the new Nikon 105/1.4E, Ken has unwittingly given us the best evidence ever, that it can produce gorgeous 3D pop.

All it takes is a smart aleck like me to come along, and notice how to use his resurrection-plant example to put the "flatness" issue to rest.

Here you go - Ken's stereogram created with the 105/1.4E (and a little help from the 105 DC as well; I wouldn't want to leave that out).  Arranged by yours truly, for cross-eye mode viewing.

Nikkor 105/1.4E (with 105 DC) creates real 3D!

Of course, to make the stereo effect work well, I had to adjust the exposure to match as closely as I could.  With that done, I would like to have some feedback about the microcontrast in each pane:  Have a careful look, and post your opinion as to whether the left pane or the right pane has better microcontrast - or if you think they look about even.

Thanks for looking!

-- hide signature --

Source credit: Prov 2:6
- Marianne

rankamaterur Regular Member • Posts: 315
Re: Angry Photographer proves the 105/1.4E isn't "flat"

That's great, Marianne!

They're fairly close, but I give the nod to the image on the right, for slightly better highlights, and more detail preserved in the pencil (where the bare wood shows in the sharpened part).

volks 1
volks 1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,686

rankamaterur wrote:

That's great, Marianne!

They're fairly close, but I give the nod to the image on the right, for slightly better highlights, and more detail preserved in the pencil (where the bare wood shows in the sharpened part).

Agree as well.

-- hide signature --

Keeping it light and simple.

volks 1's gear list:volks 1's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR

Not sure it's a microcontrast distinction, however. More of a near-oof bokeh difference.

akul60 Regular Member • Posts: 137

Based on iPhone screen (! Sorry )
They look about even. Left appears to have Kept highlight not blown, dark area seems to show tiny more hint of detail. Right one is a bit more 'contrasty' in other words highlight and blacks seem pushed s bit further. 3D PoP? Sorry I do not consider using that expression as it seems to have too wide range of interpretation (internet social term). They are all 2D no matter what as they are on screen. Volumetric rendition is slightly better on the left one, however I see the pencil looks a bit better on he right. Which one I prefer? May be the one on the left, if that was what I would get from the lens, It may leave me a little more to play in PP. i love Daodo Moriyama' s super contrasty grainy be works from 1970's. To be honest, I will be happy with either one based on this tiny weird photo.

Luka

fPrime
fPrime Senior Member • Posts: 2,976
The right frame has the pop

Marianne Oelund wrote:

Nikkor 105/1.4E (with 105 DC) creates real 3D!

Of course, to make the stereo effect work well, I had to adjust the exposure to match as closely as I could. With that done, I would like to have some feedback about the microcontrast in each pane: Have a careful look, and post your opinion as to whether the left pane or the right pane has better microcontrast - or if you think they look about even.

With exposure adjusted it looks like the right frame definitely has more 3D pop, higher global contrast, and richer blacks. I think one would be hard pressed to conclude either had higher resolution. I really wish these were separated so we could A/B test them but I'd give the microcontrast edge to the right frame as the grooves in the wood seem more distinctly defined versus milkier on the left.

I still can't for the life of me do the cross-eyed stereo thing, though.

fPrime

fPrime's gear list:fPrime's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D700
OP Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 7,779
Version 2

Same question as before - do you think the left pane has better microcontrast, or the right pane?

Thanks for looking, again!

-- hide signature --

Source credit: Prov 2:6
- Marianne

whimsicalmike
whimsicalmike Contributing Member • Posts: 707

Can anyone play?

I would guess the DC is on the right. The left seems to transition to OOF a little faster and seems to have more tonal steps.

Right in relation to the original pair

whimsicalmike's gear list:whimsicalmike's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +16 more
Just Tim New Member • Posts: 11

I don't know about "3D Pop" (other brands are available), but I think you just proved the distinct lack of colour with multi element lenses...

d750guy Senior Member • Posts: 1,001

who gives a crap which is which.  I've never had a paying client say my photos were flat, weren't 3d, lack pop, etc.   Enough with this measurebating.  Slighly better micro contrast or "3d pop" (whatever the heck pop is, no one has been able to demonstrate "pop" to me convincingly yet ) WON'T make your photos any better.   Just let the little fat man troll all he wants.   All this attention you're giving him makes his little weewee hard I bet.

photowurks Regular Member • Posts: 449
No means to make the A/B crops yourself?

Can easily be done in MS Paint, let alone something more powerful.

photowurks's gear list:photowurks's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +3 more
phaedin
phaedin Senior Member • Posts: 1,634

Don't you measure-bate until you ecalculate?

phaedin's gear list:phaedin's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D7500 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +1 more
photowurks Regular Member • Posts: 449
Reserving my opinion

I have one formed. It'll be interesting to see the results versus the replies.

photowurks's gear list:photowurks's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +3 more
Re: Version 2

That's a better match, Marianne-- I now recuse myself because I cheated.

akul60 Regular Member • Posts: 137

Marianne,

This is fun.  I kind of think that you have amazing PP skill and same lens can look different. On this one, the right one is less 'contrasty' and hence my vote, however, my big disclaimer.

Disclaimer:

1. I have no idea what 'micro contrast' means.   -  resolution and micro contrast to me means pretty much the same.   Also, I have no idea at what level contrast becomes 'micro' as it suggests to me pixel level, but none of these show that.  They are just 'local contrast'.  Once again, I am not a big fan of nomenclature without clear universal agreement.  I think it is rather risky as I may mean one thing but others may mean something else.  That may just be due to my lack of 'education'.

2. I hate that word '3D pop'.  It is one of the most meaningless word that I really would be happy to never read again.

3. Now I am looking at the images on my laptop but my impression stays the same.

Luka

tbasher Forum Member • Posts: 96

Well done Marianne. It will not shut him up of course. Talk after all is all he has.

The most effective way to discredit him is to just let him talk. Give a fool enough rope and it's just a matter of time before he hangs himself and hanged he is.

tbasher's gear list:tbasher's gear list
Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-Pro2
Yake Senior Member • Posts: 1,531
Re: The right frame has the pop

The differences are ever so minor, but every time I've looked at Ken's example, I've concluded that the new lens has slightly more microcontrast.

He has posted the color versions of these pics and again, the new lens looks slightly richer in color.  Of course, he bashes that too.

Somehow, Ken is able to convince himself that the new lens is dramatically worse, so bad that it's "horrible" and shameful. That's just bizarre.

Ken is acting like a total nut job with his multiple user accounts and his daily rants and insults against Nikon, the lens designers and the people who buy the lens.  Oh, and his constant anti-Chinese jabs.

Yake's gear list:Yake's gear list
Sony a7 III Canon EOS RP
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,105

akul60 wrote:

1. I have no idea what 'micro contrast' means. - resolution and micro contrast to me means pretty much the same. Also, I have no idea at what level contrast becomes 'micro' as it suggests to me pixel level, but none of these show that. They are just 'local contrast'. Once again, I am not a big fan of nomenclature without clear universal agreement. I think it is rather risky as I may mean one thing but others may mean something else. That may just be due to my lack of 'education'.

2. I hate that word '3D pop'. It is one of the most meaningless word that I really would be happy to never read again.

Luka

Agree.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6
Yake Senior Member • Posts: 1,531

d750guy wrote:

who gives a crap which is which. I've never had a paying client say my photos were flat, weren't 3d, lack pop, etc. Enough with this measurebating. Slighly better micro contrast or "3d pop" (whatever the heck pop is, no one has been able to demonstrate "pop" to me convincingly yet ) WON'T make your photos any better. Just let the little fat man troll all he wants. All this attention you're giving him makes his little weewee hard I bet.

Indeed, the differences are too minor to argue about, let alone to making ranting, insulting videos about.

Yake's gear list:Yake's gear list
Sony a7 III Canon EOS RP
voider Veteran Member • Posts: 3,008

right

-- hide signature --

Visit www.voider.net

voider's gear list:voider's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads