The exposure compensation dial on my Pro2 is making me crazy

Started Oct 4, 2016 | Discussions
Zaax
Zaax Senior Member • Posts: 1,502
The exposure compensation dial on my Pro2 is making me crazy

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy shooting with my Pro2. However when I carry the camera around my neck with a neck strap most times the compensation dial rubs against my clothes and changes the dial setting. Yeah I know I should look at the dial to make sure that it is set on 0 but I frequently forget to do this and since I mainly shoot JPEG a lot of my shots are screwed up. Would be nice if someone made a thumb rest that covered the dial. I have one on my X100 that actually wraps around 50% of the comp dial and it works great. I hate this problem so much that I am considering selling the Pro2 and getting a T2. And I am not one that is constantly buying the latest thing.

-
Zack S
"May the Focus be with you"
Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/10025089@N05

Zaax's gear list:Zaax's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +16 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
phototeacher Senior Member • Posts: 1,106
Re: The exposure compensation dial on my Pro2 is making me crazy

Put the dial on "C", and use a bit of gaffer's tape to hold it in place. Using the "C" setting allows the front dial to control exposure compensation. Just push it in to activate EC, make your setting, and push it again to lock the setting.  As an added advantage, you get 5 stops of EC, rather than the 3 stops available with the dial.

Homo erectus
Homo erectus Contributing Member • Posts: 938

I've never had this problem with my X-Pro2 but off the top of my head, here's a number of possible solutions.

If you are using the OVF, you could turn on the histogram so you can immediately see that the image is exposed wrong and fix it. You could also turn on the ERF as the preview it shows is the exposure you will get.

If you are using the EVF, it shows you the exposure, so it should be trivial to correct it. Same for the LCD.

Or, train yourself to look at the exposure comp dial as you raise the camera to your face?

Maybe the type of strap, or how you use it, is the problem. I use both a black rapid sling style strap and a peak design strap that I put over one shoulder.

Homo erectus's gear list:Homo erectus's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +4 more
Zaax
OP Zaax Senior Member • Posts: 1,502

phototeacher wrote:

Put the dial on "C", and use a bit of gaffer's tape to hold it in place. Using the "C" setting allows the front dial to control exposure compensation. Just push it in to activate EC, make your setting, and push it again to lock the setting. As an added advantage, you get 5 stops of EC, rather than the 3 stops available with the dial.

So if I put it in Custom EC I can just click on the front wheel and it will lock?

-- hide signature --

Zack S
"May the Focus be with you"
Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/10025089@N05

Zaax's gear list:Zaax's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +16 more
phototeacher Senior Member • Posts: 1,106

Zaax wrote:

phototeacher wrote:

Put the dial on "C", and use a bit of gaffer's tape to hold it in place. Using the "C" setting allows the front dial to control exposure compensation. Just push it in to activate EC, make your setting, and push it again to lock the setting. As an added advantage, you get 5 stops of EC, rather than the 3 stops available with the dial.

So if I put it in Custom EC I can just click on the front wheel and it will lock?

On my camera one push will 'activate' the EC control, and it will remain active until you push the front dial again, at which point it will lock at whatever setting you made. Of course,the top dial can still move off of "C", which is why I suggested the tape.

See page 57 in the manual:

Although it mentions that pushing the dial chooses between setting EC and setting shutter speed, mine does not do that. I am not sure if I have selected an additional setting from one of the menus, but in any event, using "C" does allow for the front dial to set EC.  Worth giving a try!

JamesGaston
JamesGaston Forum Member • Posts: 99

I also have a small piece of gaffer's tape on my xpro2's EC dial. Solved the problem.

JamesGaston's gear list:JamesGaston's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +20 more
brbennett
brbennett Forum Member • Posts: 82

I bought a Thumbsup from Match Technical and it has (mostly) solved that problem for me. Fuji should have put some sort of lock mechanism on the dial.

-- hide signature --

Reality is not always probable, or likely.
- J. L. Borges

brbennett's gear list:brbennett's gear list
Ricoh GR II Nikon D750 Leica M (Typ 262) Leica CL +1 more
Vic Chapman Forum Pro • Posts: 10,694

Get a thumb grip but make sure it is for an XP1/2 others will be too short. Mine works fine on my XP1 to solve the problem and gives the camera a far better balance.

-- hide signature --

The sky is full of holes that let the rain get in, the holes are very small - that's why the rain is thin.
Spike Milligan

Vic Chapman's gear list:Vic Chapman's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads