Best landscape lens for the bucks

Started Sep 28, 2016 | User reviews
nebulaskin
nebulaskin Junior Member • Posts: 32
Best landscape lens for the bucks

Since i love landscape photography and I almost only take landscape photos, i was looking for an upgrade to my quite old Nikon 18-35mm.

I wanted a really bright lens and a more wide open field of view.

At first i only saw the famous nikon 14-24mm and the sigma 12-24mm.

The Nikon was too expensive and sigma just went down to f.4, so not the best for even taking a milky way.

After a bit of "googling" i found that Tamron had also a wide open zoom lens, that 15-30mm f. 2.8 and for "only" ~950€

Instabought it and im really happy with it!
If you don't care too much about weight and size (this lens is actually bigger and heavier than the Nikon 14-24), this is the perfect lens for landscape and night photography. Im really happy about the sharpness, distortion, vigneting, almost zero flare, and features such as optical stabilization and brightness!

Since i bought it, it became almost my main and single lens. The 30mm are really useful when you want to just focus or frame a bit more your landscape and in my opinion is better than just having 24mm.

The 15mm compared to the 14mm aren't a real problem, the difference is so minimal that's not worth the money of the Nikon 14-24.

The only problem i found (which i still have to verify a bit more), is some condensation i get on the front of the lens in certain situations.

A lot of people complains that filter holders for this lens are very expensive, but i found the Haida filter holder 150x150mm affordable and very well built. The price for the filter holder it's about 120€ and the same price goes for the filters itself (always Haida branded).

Conclusion: >For me a really nice and sharp lens, well built, zoom ring and focus ring are confortable to use and really smooth. The only cons are size and weight, but there's no other option for such a lens.

-- hide signature --
 nebulaskin's gear list:nebulaskin's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +3 more
Tamron SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Wideangle zoom lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Sony/Minolta Alpha DT • A012
Announced: Sep 12, 2014
nebulaskin's score
Average community score
pshummer Regular Member • Posts: 106
Re: Best landscape lens for the bucks

I wrote my review of this lens  a while ago and I'm in love with Tamron 15-30.  Very sharp @ wide open and according to photographylife.com, it's sharper than Nikon 14-24 @ wide open. For its excellent performance,VC and price( $800 less than the Nikon 14-24),the Tamron 15-30 VC is a clear winner for me.

pshummer's gear list:pshummer's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads