iPhone 7 IQ, poor again!!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Jostian
Jostian Senior Member • Posts: 2,436
iPhone 7 IQ, poor again!!

Amazing, I really thought the 6s was a glitch in terms of IQ from Apple, and really hoped that the 7 would elevate it to the higher end in terms of IQ again, yes I know that it can shoot RAW now, like Android phones have been doing for years, but who really wants to process all their images to get the best IQ?

And I assume part of the problem is the fact that Apple again are using a Sony sensor (not that their sensors are bad, but their processing sux) and it looks like Apple has once again got at least some of the processing software from Sony, as ONCE again the photos from the latest iPhone are a mushy mess with over-processing and NR obliterating detail...

I was really hoping for Apple to set things right with the 7 (I got rid of my 6s within a month due to the crappy IQ) and had been waiting patiently for the 7 with my fingers crossed, alas, it was in vain.

The crops below echo the findings of others that have done comparisons, just so frustrating from Apple.

see these crops below, (all downscaled to 12mp) the 7 just looks horrid, not just in terms of detail but color too, why Apple, why?

-- hide signature --

Jostian

Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +4 more
photo perzon
photo perzon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,388
How to bypass the processing?

RAW? Manual?   How to do it?

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus PEN E-PL5 Fujifilm X-A1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Jostian
Jostian OP Senior Member • Posts: 2,436
Re: How to bypass the processing?

OOC jpegs.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +4 more
bigley Ling Veteran Member • Posts: 3,319

photo perzon wrote:

RAW? Manual? How to do it?

RAW and manual can be achieved via 3rd party apps on the iPhone 7 or iPhones with the 12MP camera component running iOS10

Jostian

yip, thanks Bigley

-- hide signature --

Jostian

Jostian

from Ephotozine's iPhone 7 review "You are going to get more detailed photos from a smartphone camera with a 16 or 20-megapixel sensor, however, detail is reasonably good. If you shoot in raw using an app like Lightroom Mobile, then you can get sharper photos, as the camera's own app has quite strong noise reduction, reducing detail in images."

-- hide signature --

Jostian

wklee Veteran Member • Posts: 5,840
I've got RAW from iPhone SE taken with ProCamera 10

I haven't posted any yet. Snapseed has some issues with the iOS 10 RAW files. I'm waiting for updates for Snapseed.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58344834

"In my experiments with Snapseed I'm finding it VERY buggy. Turns out it has to download profiles for raw formats, hence even my DNGs from my Pentax were either crashing it or being treated as JPEGs. Ditto with ORF files. A work-in-progress."

I'm interested in iPhone 7 for the wider gamut as well.

-- hide signature --

Never buy version 1.0 of anything.

Jostian
Re: I've got RAW from iPhone SE taken with ProCamera 10

wklee wrote:

I haven't posted any yet. Snapseed has some issues with the iOS 10 RAW files. I'm waiting for updates for Snapseed.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58344834

"In my experiments with Snapseed I'm finding it VERY buggy. Turns out it has to download profiles for raw formats, hence even my DNGs from my Pentax were either crashing it or being treated as JPEGs. Ditto with ORF files. A work-in-progress."

I'm interested in iPhone 7 for the wider gamut as well.

yes agree, if you look past the 'ok' photos (which is frustrating cos if Apple just sorted out the processing software) the 7 is a gorgeous tool, so much about it is just lovely. As a phone (with a camera) its a compelling option indeed, if the whole 'ecosystem' (and its limits) are not a turn off. I enjoyed my 6s (but I just irritated with the IQ to the point where I had to get rid of it), the rest, even the 'being tied into the Apple ecosystem thing' was ok with me, I prefer the 'freedom' to download, customize, etc as I want with Android, but I didn't find it a big adjustment.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Jostian

gpagnon New Member • Posts: 21
Re: iPhone 7 IQ, poor again!!

I know.

It's mind boggling that so few people complain about the horrid frosted-glass artifacts from JPEG compression and noise reduction, that mar all recent iPhones. I was hugely disappointed when I got my first iPhone (6s) .

The good news is that now shooting in RAW (I tried it only with Lightroom Mobile camera), really makes a WORLD of difference: no smearing at all, and the image quality is actually surprisingly good. Even after exporting the image as a JPG from Lightroom, the quality is pretty much conserved and the grain (with no noise reduction) does look a bit like film (especially in black and white, see attached picture).

The only downside so far is that, if you don't have a Creative Cloud subscription (I don't), you can't use the RAW images outside Lightroom Mobile, and you must export them to JPEG, which is suboptimal if you want to apply further postprocessing. I am looking forward for new releases of VSCO, RNI Films, Snapseed, etc. to implement a full self-contained RAW workflow. With that, I think I'd be quite satisfied...

g.

Jostian

gpagnon wrote:

I know.

It's mind boggling that so few people complain about the horrid frosted-glass artifacts from JPEG compression and noise reduction, that mar all recent iPhones. I was hugely disappointed when I got my first iPhone (6s) .

The good news is that now shooting in RAW (I tried it only with Lightroom Mobile camera), really makes a WORLD of difference: no smearing at all, and the image quality is actually surprisingly good. Even after exporting the image as a JPG from Lightroom, the quality is pretty much conserved and the grain (with no noise reduction) does look a bit like film (especially in black and white, see attached picture).

The only downside so far is that, if you don't have a Creative Cloud subscription (I don't), you can't use the RAW images outside Lightroom Mobile, and you must export them to JPEG, which is suboptimal if you want to apply further postprocessing. I am looking forward for new releases of VSCO, RNI Films, Snapseed, etc. to implement a full self-contained RAW workflow. With that, I think I'd be quite satisfied...

g.

Thanks for your insights, a quick ? how tedious is it to do the RAW to jpeg conversions, I loathe to think about shooting 30 40 photos and having to convert all of them to jpeg before sharing etc.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

Well, I guess it depends on your workflow.  You could either:

1) simply batch export all the photos shot with the Lightroom camera to the Camera Roll as JPEGs.  This is the fastest option, and you will still reap the benefit of having the images untainted by the iOS NR and compression.  The resulting JPEGs can still be postprocessed by other software up to a certain degree, with a better outcome anyway than using the standard camera's JPEGs.

2) do some basic adjustments (exposure, contrast, highlights, shadow, WB) in Lightroom and then export as JPEG to Camera Roll

3) do the complete postprocessing within Lightroom and export the final version to the Camera Roll.  This should arguably give you the best image quality. However, there are things you cannot currently do within LR , e.g., perspective correction.

Another solution would be to shoot with a camera that allows saving the DNG file (eg. the Manual app), and then postprocess it with a Raw-enabled software such as Snapseed.

g.

wklee Veteran Member • Posts: 5,840

gpagnon wrote:

Well, I guess it depends on your workflow. You could either:

1) simply batch export all the photos shot with the Lightroom camera to the Camera Roll as JPEGs. This is the fastest option, and you will still reap the benefit of having the images untainted by the iOS NR and compression. The resulting JPEGs can still be postprocessed by other software up to a certain degree, with a better outcome anyway than using the standard camera's JPEGs.

2) do some basic adjustments (exposure, contrast, highlights, shadow, WB) in Lightroom and then export as JPEG to Camera Roll

3) do the complete postprocessing within Lightroom and export the final version to the Camera Roll. This should arguably give you the best image quality. However, there are things you cannot currently do within LR , e.g., perspective correction.

Another solution would be to shoot with a camera that allows saving the DNG file (eg. the Manual app), and then postprocess it with a Raw-enabled software such as Snapseed.

g.

The other alternative to Lightroom? Filterstorm Neue has a more powerful version FSN Pro which allows batch processing. I haven't tried it with iOS 10 and RAW to know how well it works.

http://filterstorm.com/FSNPro/

-- hide signature --

bigley Ling Veteran Member • Posts: 3,319

gpagnon wrote:

Well, I guess it depends on your workflow. You could either:

1) simply batch export all the photos shot with the Lightroom camera to the Camera Roll as JPEGs. This is the fastest option, and you will still reap the benefit of having the images untainted by the iOS NR and compression. The resulting JPEGs can still be postprocessed by other software up to a certain degree, with a better outcome anyway than using the standard camera's JPEGs.

3) do the complete postprocessing within Lightroom and export the final version to the Camera Roll. This should arguably give you the best image quality. However, there are things you cannot currently do within LR , e.g., perspective correction.

g.

Another alternative camera app that supports RAW capture, as well as bracketing RAW capture is Camera++. Snapseed is definitely the goto DNG to JPG converter for those that do not want to use lightroom and use creative cloud.

Hi Jostian,

you may be interested in this post I submitted to another forum:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4068297#forum-post-58522701

A620er
A620er Senior Member • Posts: 1,244
Comparison
 A620er's gear list:A620er's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
Jostian

gpagnon wrote:

Hi Jostian,

you may be interested in this post I submitted to another forum:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4068297#forum-post-58522701

appreciated, will check it out.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads