D810 USB to OS X not working

Started Sep 26, 2016 | Discussions
dtray187 Contributing Member • Posts: 615
D810 USB to OS X not working

hey guys, I just tried to hook my d810 up to my MacBook Pro USB. And it's not showing up as a drive of any kind.

is there anything I'm missing here?

 dtray187's gear list:dtray187's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Janoch
Janoch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,531
Re: D810 USB to OS X not working

Try another port? Using the right cable?

Make sure, it's not connected to a hub or keyboard...

 Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +1 more
Martin Zimelka
Martin Zimelka Regular Member • Posts: 385
Re: D810 USB to OS X not working

dtray187 wrote:

hey guys, I just tried to hook my d810 up to my MacBook Pro USB. And it's not showing up as a drive of any kind.

is there anything I'm missing here?

Nikon cameras haven't showed up as mass storage devices on the desktop for a long time already... Even my D700 didn't show. Lightroom, Photos or Image Capture should list the device for importing if the camera is connected and switched on.

 Martin Zimelka's gear list:Martin Zimelka's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 +9 more
Janoch
Janoch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,531
Re: D810 USB to OS X not working

Martin Zimelka wrote:

dtray187 wrote:

hey guys, I just tried to hook my d810 up to my MacBook Pro USB. And it's not showing up as a drive of any kind.

is there anything I'm missing here?

Nikon cameras haven't showed up as mass storage devices on the desktop for a long time already... Even my D700 didn't show. Lightroom, Photos or Image Capture should list the device for importing if the camera is connected and switched on.

Sorry for being late, but that's simply not the case... plug the cable in both camera and pc, turn camera on and... voila! Folder window pops up and you're ready to copy/paste.

Using a card reader is a quadzillion times faster to use though... just tried it.

Perhaps the lack of drive showing up is a Mac thing?

 Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +1 more
Martin Zimelka
Martin Zimelka Regular Member • Posts: 385
Re: D810 USB to OS X not working

Sorry, I should have mentioned my reply was OSX specific.

It should appear as a device in Image Capture.app.

Mac will only show a device if the volume can be mounted as a mass storage device... which "modern" cameras don't do anymore. Windows is far ahead of OSX in this regard, showing an easy access device in the file browser as if it were a normal volume.

 Martin Zimelka's gear list:Martin Zimelka's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 +9 more
K1XH Contributing Member • Posts: 649
Re: D810 USB to OS X not working

Exactly.

You need to tell Image Capture how to handle the device, if it can see it.

I generally have Image Capture open Camera Control Pro (Nikon app) on my iMac.

-- hide signature --

Micky - K1XH
Hartland, VT

 K1XH's gear list:K1XH's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon Coolpix P90 Nikon Coolpix L110 Nikon D1H +19 more
BirgerH
BirgerH Veteran Member • Posts: 5,904
Re: D810 USB to OS X not working
1

Martin Zimelka wrote:

Sorry, I should have mentioned my reply was OSX specific.

It should appear as a device in Image Capture.app.

Mac will only show a device if the volume can be mounted as a mass storage device... which "modern" cameras don't do anymore. Windows is far ahead of OSX in this regard, showing an easy access device in the file browser as if it were a normal volume.

Except - that you are correct speaking Windows too.

The only reason, that the "Camera" still shows up in Windows explorer, is that the camera holds one or two devices, that are mass storage devices - the cards.

Window too will show the Camera as a PTP-device - in windows it's Windows MTP - in the "Device and Printers" folder - and use the MTP-drivers.

BirgerH.

 BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
Janoch
Janoch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,531
Re: D810 USB to OS X not working

Martin Zimelka wrote:

Sorry, I should have mentioned my reply was OSX specific.

It should appear as a device in Image Capture.app.

Mac will only show a device if the volume can be mounted as a mass storage device... which "modern" cameras don't do anymore. Windows is far ahead of OSX in this regard, showing an easy access device in the file browser as if it were a normal volume.

Ah, I see! Thanks for the clarification!

But seing thread again, we don't have to be sorry, as OP has lost interest?

 Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +1 more
BirgerH
BirgerH Veteran Member • Posts: 5,904
Re: D810 USB to OS X not working

Janoch wrote:

Martin Zimelka wrote:

Sorry, I should have mentioned my reply was OSX specific.

It should appear as a device in Image Capture.app.

Mac will only show a device if the volume can be mounted as a mass storage device... which "modern" cameras don't do anymore. Windows is far ahead of OSX in this regard, showing an easy access device in the file browser as if it were a normal volume.

Ah, I see! Thanks for the clarification!

But seing thread again, we don't have to be sorry, as OP has lost interest?

LOL

Though the problem shows up fairly often - last time only a couple of days ago - maybe someone should make a "manual"

Then again - your own solution, if not having use for tethering, but file transfer only, a card reader is the simplest and fastest way to do it, in my opinion.

BirgerH.

 BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
Janoch
Janoch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,531
Re: D810 USB to OS X not working

Absolutely!

Only connected for testing the folder thing pop-up, and since I had some 100 shots on card, I dragged them to my pc... only to cancel it again. A pain!

With the Lexar USB3 card reader, the operation took less than 20 seconds from card inserted to all files were copied. That was what some three files took with camera to pc download...

For teethering purposes the slow connection is no problem, but one can only wonder, why Nikon didn't chose an USB3 output?

 Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +1 more
BirgerH
BirgerH Veteran Member • Posts: 5,904
Re: D810 USB to OS X not working
1

Janoch wrote:

Absolutely!

Only connected for testing the folder thing pop-up, and since I had some 100 shots on card, I dragged them to my pc... only to cancel it again. A pain!

With the Lexar USB3 card reader, the operation took less than 20 seconds from card inserted to all files were copied. That was what some three files took with camera to pc download...

For teethering purposes the slow connection is no problem, but one can only wonder, why Nikon didn't chose an USB3 output?

Oh - they did - my D800 has USB3 - and so does the D810, know that from a former thread in this forum, where it did not work )

BirgerH.

 BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
Janoch
Janoch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,531
Re: D810 USB to OS X not working

Good Lord, you're absolutely right!  *thumbs up*

In my defence, I've only had the camera for a couple of years, so...

But it leaves the question... why on earth is the connection that slow then??

 Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +1 more
BirgerH
BirgerH Veteran Member • Posts: 5,904
Re: D810 USB to OS X not working

Janoch wrote:

Good Lord, you're absolutely right! *thumbs up*

In my defence, I've only had the camera for a couple of years, so...

But it leaves the question... why on earth is the connection that slow then??

Did you use a USB3 cable? The one "half" connector is USB2 only. The USB3 is the "little" half - but I have only seen combined USB2/USB3 cables. I don't think, there's a USB3-cable following the camera, and that you might have used as "Smart-Phone" USB-cable. That is only USB2

BirgerH.

 BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 4,877
Re: D810 USB to OS X not working

BirgerH wrote:

Janoch wrote:

Good Lord, you're absolutely right! *thumbs up*

In my defence, I've only had the camera for a couple of years, so...

But it leaves the question... why on earth is the connection that slow then??

Did you use a USB3 cable? The one "half" connector is USB2 only. The USB3 is the "little" half - but I have only seen combined USB2/USB3 cables. I don't think, there's a USB3-cable following the camera, and that you might have used as "Smart-Phone" USB-cable. That is only USB2

BirgerH.

You also need to use a USB 3 port on your laptop/desktop. Even if your laptop/desktop has USB3 they may not be all usb3 ports. Works fine for me with my D800. The USB cable which came with your D810/D800 is the correct cable.

 romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D800 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +11 more
OP dtray187 Contributing Member • Posts: 615
Re: D810 USB to OS X not working
1

Sorry , I'm back

you guys were right. It doesn't show up a a drive on my desktop like an sd card in a reader. But it does show up in Lightroom for import. It's very slow though

 dtray187's gear list:dtray187's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED
William Carson
William Carson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,205
Re: D810 USB to OS X not working

dtray187 wrote:

Sorry , I'm back

you guys were right. It doesn't show up a a drive on my desktop like an sd card in a reader. But it does show up in Lightroom for import. It's very slow though

I had this 'problem' as well with the camera (D3s) plugged directly into a USB port. 'Where is it? This is an unfortunate change with the user interface in OS X. The default use to be any external drive would show up on the desktop. It was very intuitive and made things much easier.

Janoch
Janoch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,531
Re: D810 USB to OS X not working

dtray187 wrote:

Sorry , I'm back

you guys were right. It doesn't show up a a drive on my desktop like an sd card in a reader. But it does show up in Lightroom for import. It's very slow though

If you had showed up a bit earlier, I wouldn't have revealed:

1) I don't know my camera

2) I don't know my computer

The port I tested yesterday was indeed an USB2... sigh... but it still seems to me, the card reader is faster than camera to USB3 port?

Doesn't really matter though, as I do not want to use cabling for anything but teethering, when using the microscope. And here it's having it's own USB3 cable...

Good to hear, you're still alive!

 Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +1 more
Martin Zimelka
Martin Zimelka Regular Member • Posts: 385
Re: D810 USB to OS X not working

For me, image transfer directly from a camera has always been a no go, simply because the speeds are always significantly slower than what card readers provide.

Yes, there is a USB 3 port on the D810, but it's not faster than USB 2.

Besides, if you have a fast card reader and card, then dumping 64GB of images to a SSD at 150-200 MB/sec is quite nice. Via the camera, it would probably take so long the camera runs out of battery.

 Martin Zimelka's gear list:Martin Zimelka's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 +9 more
Vertizon New Member • Posts: 3
Re: D810 USB to OS X not working

I have been tethering with my D810 (to my MBP) for nearly two years with only the "normal" reliability issues of Lightroom and Capture One. However, just last week it dropped out in the middle of a job and LR nor Capture One recognizes it anymore, In fact, if I'm in a tethered session and release the shutter, the camera actually freezes until I unplug the cable. THEN the shutter fires. What the heck is that?!?!?

I've switched to my CamRanger for now and that works, so I know the USB port is functioning, but I have to assume now that it's a OSX thing.

Anyone else seeing this?

 Vertizon's gear list:Vertizon's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads