Yongnuo YN685 firmware update, How???

Started Sep 26, 2016 | Discussions
Tanguero Chino New Member • Posts: 23
Re: Yongnuo YN685 firmware updates - Warning

After writing my previous entry, I took the batteries out for a few hours and see if the flash will reset.  No luck.  Prior to that, I actually tried updating multiple time, attempting with both the V1.3.3 and V1.3.4 versions.

Yongnuo finally replied near the end of their business day.  They sent me the V133 and V134 zip files, and told me to "try to update several times".  Based on my comparison using Winmerge and another file utility, the files were the same as the ones I downloaded from Yongnuo's web site.  (The V1.3.3 version even has the international character file name problem.)

At this point, the batteries had been left out of the flash for over 24 hours.  I put them back in, the firmware update screen came up again.  I decided to give the update a shot again, and used the new V1.3.4 file that they sent me.

I am relieved to say that the flash restarted less than 30 seconds after the completion of the file transfer (light on YN622N-TX turned from flashing red/yellow to green).

Speculation alert: For those of you thinking of updating the firmware from v1.3.2, you may want to try updating to v1.3.3 first before trying v1.3.4.  Love to hear from someone who tried this.

The_other_NIKON_guy New Member • Posts: 1

Tanguero Chino wrote:

After writing my previous entry, I took the batteries out for a few hours and see if the flash will reset. No luck. Prior to that, I actually tried updating multiple time, attempting with both the V1.3.3 and V1.3.4 versions.

Yongnuo finally replied near the end of their business day. They sent me the V133 and V134 zip files, and told me to "try to update several times". Based on my comparison using Winmerge and another file utility, the files were the same as the ones I downloaded from Yongnuo's web site. (The V1.3.3 version even has the international character file name problem.)

At this point, the batteries had been left out of the flash for over 24 hours. I put them back in, the firmware update screen came up again. I decided to give the update a shot again, and used the new V1.3.4 file that they sent me.

I am relieved to say that the flash restarted less than 30 seconds after the completion of the file transfer (light on YN622N-TX turned from flashing red/yellow to green).

Speculation alert: For those of you thinking of updating the firmware from v1.3.2, you may want to try updating to v1.3.3 first before trying v1.3.4. Love to hear from someone who tried this.

Hello,

I have the same problem with YN685- I've updated to firmware 1.3.4 via YN 622-TX N but the flash never restarted and now it's bricked.

Could you send me firmware 1.3.3 or upload it to cloud coz I can't find it anywhere in Internet ..

BR,

Simon

davinci953 Regular Member • Posts: 377

The_other_NIKON_guy wrote:

Hello,

I have the same problem with YN685- I've updated to firmware 1.3.4 via YN 622-TX N but the flash never restarted and now it's bricked.

Could you send me firmware 1.3.3 or upload it to cloud coz I can't find it anywhere in Internet ..

BR,

Simon

I posted a link for it earlier in the thread (8 months ago ), but here it is again.

Try this link for the 1.3.3 firmware.

http://yongnuo.com.cn/app/YN685N_FW_V1.3.3.zip

Jamesytor New Member • Posts: 15
Re: Yongnuo YN685 firmware update, How???

davinci953 wrote:

Jamesytor wrote:

Thanks davinci953. I followed the manual per my post above and it shows I am running firmware version 2.0.2 which I didn't think was possible on the YN-685. My son has newer versions of the YN685 (firmware v.1.2.2) and they work fine with his YN-622C-TX (v.1.1.0).

My 622C-Tx works fine with YN-622 transceivers and I can trigger the YN-685s in manual mode and also my Canon 580EXII works fine in manual mode with a YN-622 transceiver controlling it with the Fuji (X-T1 or X-T20) triggering the setup.

When I try to control the YN-685Cs from my YN-622C-TX in the Fuji hotshoe the YN-685Cs lockup with the link light solid RED. I tried resetting everything and used the test button to triiger and all was fine but as soon as the Fuji triggers the shot the YN-685 locks up. I have tried two Fuji's and made sure the pins are well seated.

I tried taping the four pins on the YN-622C-TX with no luck - the YN-685 still locks up.

Seems like a firmware version on the YN-685Cs (Canon version) to me but apparently there is no mechanism to upgrade the firmware, correct? All the posts I have seen are Nikon related...

Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure what the issue might be. Hopefully, someone will reply with more experience using the YongNuo equipment with Fuji cameras. It's interesting that the firmware version on your 685 is 2.0.2. Your son might have purchased the 685s more recently than you, but it sounds like they have an older firmware installed. Have you tried one of his 685s to see if it works with your setup?

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I tried my sons triggers with my flashes, same issue of the flashes locking after first pop, so something in my flashes is likely not happy with a Fuji triggering the flash.

In any event, I am switching to a full Godox setup instead for full inter-operability between brands, in this case Canon and Fuji. I have my Canon setup already, waiting for the Fuji trigger and flashes from overseas. Now I will have TTL/HSS across both systems. I was trying to get the YN-622s to do something they were not designed for so I can't be upset.

Ionica9996969696 New Member • Posts: 1

Can you send me "the winning" version of 1.3.4 ,  because, i have been stuck  same as you, and now i have two YN 685 Flashes  stuck at version 0000, and  nothing to do..

Ionica9996969696 wrote:

Can you send me "the winning" version of 1.3.4 , because, i have been stuck same as you, and now i have two YN 685 Flashes stuck at version 0000, and nothing to do..

The latest firmware update for the Nikon YN685 is 1.3.8. There are no firmware updates for the Canon YN685.

http://yongnuoebay.com/gw/YN685N-FW-V1.3.8.zip

QPRHOOPS New Member • Posts: 1

Right so after a horrible amount of pain and bricked Yn685's ive managed to find out the issues. You need to make sure your using the updater 1.34. I had been using updater 1.1 and this bricked my flash every time i tried to update to 1.3.8. From this page i managed to install 1.3.3 to at least get the flash working. Then to 1.3.4 but every time i tried to get to 1.3.8 it bricked again. That is until i found the 1.3.4 updater and now all is working phew.

Updater 1.3.4 address is

http://yongnuo.com.cn/app/YNFlash-Updater-Install_V1.34.zip

Hopefully this helps others pulling their hair out!

also just as it might help the person asking for 1.3.4 flash firmware that works that is here

http://yongnuo.com.cn/app/YN685N-FW-V1.3.4.zip

The 1.3.8 posted before me worked in the end so try that with the 1.3.4 flash updater and you should be fine.

æ² Forum Member • Posts: 93

Jamesytor wrote:

Any idea how I would check for my firmware number on my YN685-C? I thought the V1 was 1.0.0 and the updated version was 1.2.2 but mine says it is ver: 2.0.2.

I believe I have the 1.0.0 version but when I turn it on with the mode button pushed it says ver: 203 and the next line says 0622 0399 0624. When I go to CFn screen 28 it says version: 2.0.2 and 0337 0399 21 11.

The reason I am trying to upgrade the firmware (which I now realize can't be done) is they don't work with my Fuji X-series and YN622C-TX. My 622-C/580EXIIs work fine with the YN622C-TX but the 685s stop after the first pop. The 622C-TX is in Legacy mode.

I have the exact same problem. Firmware version on the 685C model is 2.0.2 (purchased in the late 2017) and the flash fires only once on a Sony A7iii then it crashes (locks). Now I start to be suspicious that the cause is a wrong camera (or transmitter) setting. Legacy or not legacy? Will, try soon as getting close to my equipment.

æ²'s gear list:æ²'s gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sony a7 III Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Apple iPhone XR +6 more
DusTrials New Member • Posts: 9

There is 2.0.4 version.

DusTrials wrote:

There is 2.0.4 version.

This is the first Canon firmware update that Yongnuo posted. I learned recently from Yongnuo support that it's only possible to complete an update on the Canon YN685 if it has firmware 2.0.2 (or later) installed. If there is an earlier firmware, it's not possible to place the YN685 into update mode. The only way to update the firmware if the firmware is below 2.0.2 is to send it back to Yongnuo for the update. I suspect the cost to do that isn't worthwhile.

DusTrials New Member • Posts: 9

Mine came with 2.03, and previous from 2017 was 2.02.

changelog:

V204 2018-06-28
1.Repair the compatibility with 1500D/3000D camera.
2.Optimization of overheating protection.

Im Kirk Regular Member • Posts: 192

PhotoKhan wrote:

SeedyBee wrote:

FLASH FIRMWARE UPDATES
YN685C Flash for Canon – product ID 366

The YN685C uses a “wireless upgrade mode”, where the YN622C-TX is used as a “proxy / agent / relay” between computer and flash.

There are two models of the YN685 Speedlite flash, each with its own distinct upgrade procedures.

One is for Canon (E-TTL). It has white lettering on the body, and a Canon pin-out in the hot-foot. The following notes are for this model. Its YongNuo product page with description and software links is
http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detaily.php?ID=366

The other is for Nikon (i-TTL). It has gold lettering on the body, and a Nikon pin-out in the hot-foot. Its YongNuo product page with description and software links is at
http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detaily.php?ID=377

Version History
On the YN685C Speedlite, select Custom Function 28 to display the current flash version.
1.0.0 August 2015 First factory-installed release.
1.2.2 November 2015 factory-installed version.

Hardware Required
· Windows computer (an emulator may not work).
· YN622C-TX trigger with firmware version 1.10 or later.
· USB Cable (computer to USB 3.0 Micro-B) between computer and the YN622C-TX.
· YN685C Speedlite flash (product ID 366).

Computer Software Required for YN622C-TX
> Trigger firmware upgrade installer. Ensure that the latest is installed in the computer.
> Trigger firmware upgrade file (dfu). Ensure that the latest is stored in the computer.

Computer software Required for YN685C
> Flash firmware upgrade installer.
To ensure that the latest installer version is installed in the computer, download Updater e.g. http://yongnuo.com.cn/app/YNFlash_Updater_Install_V1.1.rar
Unzip YNFlash_Updater_Install.rar
Run YNFlash_Updater_Setup.exe to install the driver and updater in your computer.

> Flash firmware upgrade file (dfu).
To ensure that the latest version is stored in the computer, go to page http://www.hkyongnuo.com, (e.g. “Firmware v1.3.3 | http: v1.3.3.zip”)
Download and unzip the latest firmware e.g. ***.
The expanded files include e.g. ***.

Run Updater
Run YNFlash Updater (e.g. C:\Program Files\YNFlash Updater\YNFlash Updater_EN.exe")
The Installer dialog appears:
“Device Infor: disconnect”
“Firmware Infor: (empty)”
“Firmware: [ ] Browse”
The YongNuo firmware updater instructions are also displayed.

Click [About] button to see the YNFlash Update version (e.g. version 1.1.)
Connect using a USB cable between computer and YN622C-TX.
On the trigger, hold down [GR/*] and turn [On]. Trigger display shows “YN | 685 | UP”
The YNFlash Updater dialog changes to “Device Infor: connect”

On the flash, hold down [Mode] and turn [On] (not “Lock”)
Flash shows normal LCD display.

On computer, click [Browse] button, and locate the .dfu YN685C firmware update file.
Click [Start] button. Updating starts. Indicator lights?
When the upgrade has completed, the updated YN685C will automatically restart.
The Updater dialog shows … updated successfully”.
Disconnect YN622C-TX.
Check the new YN685C flash version.

1. When I go to the YN685 for Canon page there is no FW update there. Just the zip file for the "YNFlash Updater" software.

The 1.3.3 version I found is for the "N" (for Nikon version)

The latest YN685C FW version seems to be 1.2.2 (factory version)

2. I have 3 units, 1 with FW 1.0.0 and 2 with 1.2.2.

None of them enter the download radio proxy mode by pressing "Mode" while powering up.

Anyone else with more information to share?

PK

Well, I have 3 YN685C's and two of them are new and have 2.03 firmware and the current version of firmware update is 2.04.  Both new ones updated perfectly but the older one has 1.2.2 and it will not enter upgrade mode.  All are Canon's.

TeamSG1 wrote:

I was trying to upgrade from 1.3.2 to 1.3.4.

I got into the update mode on the YN685 flash. It said Version: 132

I run the updater, Flash light started blinking alternating red and blue. Updater said successful but flash never restarted automatically. Just started blinking blue again. After a couple of minutes I turned it off and on.

It went right back into update mode (even though I didn't hold mode) and now it says Version: and three little boxes.

Tried reflashing multiple times to 1.3.4 and 1.3.3 and same thing.

If I leave the batteries out for awhile, when I turn it on, it says YONG NUO but never gets past that.

Is my flash dead?

Well if I can get it into the update mode I wouldn't have any problems

DusTrials wrote:

changelog:

V204 2018-06-28

I think I got the flash shortly after it was released, and the firmware version is 1.0.0. That's what prompted me to contact Yongnuo since I wasn't able to complete the update. I haven't encountered any compatibility issues up to this point, but that might be a problem at some point given what they're correcting in the latest firmware.

davinci953 wrote:

DusTrials wrote:

changelog:

V204 2018-06-28

I think I got the flash shortly after it was released, and the firmware version is 1.0.0. That's what prompted me to contact Yongnuo since I wasn't able to complete the update. I haven't encountered any compatibility issues up to this point, but that might be a problem at some point given what they're correcting in the latest firmware.

I contacted them also and they were no help at all, just sent me a copy of the instructions which is what I had to begin with (sigh)

Im Kirk wrote:

I contacted them also and they were no help at all, just sent me a copy of the instructions which is what I had to begin with (sigh)

Do you have the YN685 for Nikon? It seems that the Nikon version had the update function well before the Canon version. I had to contact support a couple of times to get an answer. The first response I received was the same as yours, a copy of the instructions. I responded to support's first reply and identified where in the procedure the update failed. Even though I indicated in my first email what the current firmware version was, it wasn't until support's second response that they gave the information about the minimum firmware version that's needed on the flash for it to go into update mode.

Have you tried installing the latest firmware update (1.3.8) for Nikon? Check that you have the latest flash update software installed as well (Windows 1.3.4; Mac 0.3.7). The Mac updater is a bit more involved only in that it's necessary to run a command from the terminal application to initiate the firmware update.

z2122
z2122 Senior Member • Posts: 1,294

kli wrote:

Actually it read like they'd figured out how to possibly do it, they just didn't have a firmware update file to test their hypothesis against. It sounds as if you update the YN-685 via a YN-622-TX unit, rather than directly over USB, since, obviously, the YN-685 has no USB port.

But, yeah. One more reason to consider Godox instead of Yongnou.

yes ... godox is better ... updated a few days ago the godox tt685N and the xpro-n without any problems in 10 minutes

z2122's gear list:z2122's gear list
Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +9 more
tugwilson Senior Member • Posts: 2,552

lynnG wrote:

I agree with the previous response that Godox is a better system. I already bought AD600 and AD360II and am waiting for their firmware update for TT685 or V860II to make these speedlites cross-brand compatible. I have Canon, Nikon and Sony cameras in hand. It would be great for one flash system to be usable for all brand cameras. If TT685 and V860II could be used like AD600 and AD360II, I will buy them to replace all my Yongnuo gears.

The TT685 and V860II are already usable off camera with all camera brands supported by Godox. They will never be compatible on camera because of physical differences with camera hot shoes.

davinci953 wrote:

Im Kirk wrote:

Do you have the YN685 for Nikon? It seems that the Nikon version had the update function well before the Canon version. I had to contact support a couple of times to get an answer. The first response I received was the same as yours, a copy of the instructions. I responded to support's first reply and identified where in the procedure the update failed. Even though I indicated in my first email what the current firmware version was, it wasn't until support's second response that they gave the information about the minimum firmware version that's needed on the flash for it to go into update mode.

Have you tried installing the latest firmware update (1.3.8) for Nikon? Check that you have the latest flash update software installed as well (Windows 1.3.4; Mac 0.3.7). The Mac updater is a bit more involved only in that it's necessary to run a command from the terminal application to initiate the firmware update.

No I have Canon. I do have the most current updater but Yongnuo sent me a message clearing it up. They said firmware 2.0 and below cannot be updated. I would have to send it in and they would have to upgrade the flash to be able to accept further updates. That is why I do not  get the update menu. It  doesn'texist in version 2and  below.

imsamurai New Member • Posts: 1

Ionica9996969696 wrote:

Can you send me "the winning" version of 1.3.4 , because, i have been stuck same as you, and now i have two YN 685 Flashes stuck at version 0000, and nothing to do..

Hi, have same problem after update to 2.06, downgrade didn't help. Do you solve this problem?

UPD: found solution - try to flash again and again (do not turn off transmitter or flash) untill flash successfully reboots. For me it was 3 times.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads