Yongnuo YN685 firmware update, How???

Started Sep 26, 2016 | Discussions
lynnG Regular Member • Posts: 303
Yongnuo YN685 firmware update, How???

I have noticed that Yongnuo has released firmware update for YN685 in both Canon and Nikon versions

http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detaily.php?ID=366

I just could not figure out how to do firmware update with YN685. They don't have USB port for firmware update. I could not find any instruction on how to do it. Can somebody here help?

OP lynnG Regular Member • Posts: 303
Re: Yongnuo YN685 firmware update, How???

Some awareness is on here but no one could figure out how to do it

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=18113274

kli
kli Veteran Member • Posts: 3,336

Actually it read like they'd figured out how to possibly do it, they just didn't have a firmware update file to test their hypothesis against. It sounds as if you update the YN-685 via a YN-622-TX unit, rather than directly over USB, since, obviously, the YN-685 has no USB port.

But, yeah. One more reason to consider Godox instead of Yongnou.

kli's gear list:kli's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +12 more
SeedyBee Regular Member • Posts: 178

kli wrote: Actually it read like they'd figured out how to possibly do it, they just didn't have a firmware update file to test their hypothesis against.

Right on! Here is the current (provisional) page 70 of TOYUG II:

Find the currently installed YN685 version

· On the YN685 Speedlite, select Custom Function 28 to display the current flash version.

Version History

1.0.0 August 2015 First factory-installed release.

1.2.2 November 2015 factory-installed version.

Requirements for Updating

A “wireless upgrade mode” is used, rather than a USB cable. A YN622C-TX acts as a proxy (agent or relay) to establish the communication link with the flash. (“***” = editorial material still required.)

· A Windows computer (an emulator may not work).

· A computer-to-USB 3.0 Micro-B cable between computer and the YN622C-TX.

· A YN622C-TX trigger with firmware version 1.10 or later. See page 53 for instructions on checking and updating the C-TX.

Updating Procedure

1. Computer - Download and instal the Flash Updater

• Download updater file e.g. http://yongnuo.com.cn/app/YNFlash_Updater_Install_V1.1.rar

• Unzip YNFlash_Updater_Install.rar

• Run YNFlash_Updater_Setup.exe to install the driver and updater in your computer.

2. Computer - Download and unzip Firmware Update files

• Go to page http://www.hkyongnuo.com ***.

• Download and expand the latest firmware e.g. ***.

• The expanded files include e.g. ***.

3. Computer - Run YNFlash Updater

• Find and run C:\Program Files\YNFlash Updater\YNFlash Updater_EN.exe"

(Use Start Menu or desktop icon.) It will ask for a language to use.

• The YNFlash Updater window should appear.

The Memo panel shows YongNuo’s flash upgrade instructions.

[About] shows e.g. “Updater V1.1”.

4. YN622C-TX - Connect to Computer

• Turn off YN622C-TX.

• Connect the C-TX to your Windows PC via a USB Micro-B cable (not supplied)

• Hold down [GR] and turn the C-TX on again.

The C-TX displays yn | 685 | up.

• Device information should appear in the Updater window, e.g. ***

5. YN685 Flash

• Press [Mode] on the YN685 to enter wireless upgrade mode.

6. Computer - Instal the Firmware

• Click "Browse..." to navigate to the required “.dfu” version, and open.

• Check that the firmware version is as expected, then click [Start].

• When completed, the Updater will show e.g. “*** updated successfully”.

The flash will re-start automatically, using the new version.

• Turn off the C-TX and disconnect USB cable.

• Close updater window.

SeedyBee's gear list:SeedyBee's gear list
Canon EOS 50D

SeedyBee wrote:

kli wrote: Actually it read like they'd figured out how to possibly do it, they just didn't have a firmware update file to test their hypothesis against.

Right on! Here is the current (provisional) page 70 of TOYUG II:

Find the currently installed YN685 version

· On the YN685 Speedlite, select Custom Function 28 to display the current flash version.

Version History

Requirements for Updating

A “wireless upgrade mode” is used, rather than a USB cable. A YN622C-TX acts as a proxy (agent or relay) to establish the communication link with the flash. (“***” = editorial material still required.)

· A Windows computer (an emulator may not work).

· A computer-to-USB 3.0 Micro-B cable between computer and the YN622C-TX.

· A YN622C-TX trigger with firmware version 1.10 or later. See page 53 for instructions on checking and updating the C-TX.

Updating Procedure

1. Computer - Download and instal the Flash Updater

• Download updater file e.g. http://yongnuo.com.cn/app/YNFlash_Updater_Install_V1.1.rar

• Unzip YNFlash_Updater_Install.rar

• Run YNFlash_Updater_Setup.exe to install the driver and updater in your computer.

2. Computer - Download and unzip Firmware Update files

• Go to page http://www.hkyongnuo.com ***.

• Download and expand the latest firmware e.g. ***.

• The expanded files include e.g. ***.

3. Computer - Run YNFlash Updater

• Find and run C:\Program Files\YNFlash Updater\YNFlash Updater_EN.exe"

(Use Start Menu or desktop icon.) It will ask for a language to use.

• The YNFlash Updater window should appear.

The Memo panel shows YongNuo’s flash upgrade instructions.

[About] shows e.g. “Updater V1.1”.

4. YN622C-TX - Connect to Computer

• Turn off YN622C-TX.

• Connect the C-TX to your Windows PC via a USB Micro-B cable (not supplied)

• Hold down [GR] and turn the C-TX on again.

The C-TX displays yn | 685 | up.

• Device information should appear in the Updater window, e.g. ***

5. YN685 Flash

• Press [Mode] on the YN685 to enter wireless upgrade mode.

6. Computer - Instal the Firmware

• Turn off the C-TX and disconnect USB cable.

• Close updater window.

Many thanks for digging this out. I bought the flash and 622TX-C very early and could not find any thing like this. This is a tedious procedure. At least, it could be done.

I agree with the previous response that Godox is a better system. I already bought AD600 and AD360II and am waiting for their firmware update for TT685 or V860II to make these speedlites cross-brand compatible. I have Canon, Nikon and Sony cameras in hand. It would be great for one flash system to be usable for all brand cameras. If TT685 and V860II could be used like AD600 and AD360II, I will buy them to replace all my Yongnuo gears.

Automate007 New Member • Posts: 4

Just adding to SEEDYBEE

For Nikon system it's basically the same and this is the path I took.Download the files you need from http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detaily.php?ID=377

Then I updated using my YN622N-TX unit ( V1.08)

• Turn off YN622N-TX.

• Connect the N-TX to your Windows PC via a USB Micro-B cable (not supplied)

• Hold down [GROUP] and turn the N-TX on again.

The N-TX displays yn | 685 | up.

• Device information should change from  "Disconnect" to "Connect"in the Updater window, e.g. ***

ON THE YN685 Flash

• Press [Mode] on the YN685 and at the same time turn it ON to enter wireless upgrade mode.

•On the Installer software Click "Browse..." to navigate to the required “.dfu” version, and open. Mine was 1.2.F and have updated to Version 1.3.3

NOTE: The blue link led will start to flash and also change colour at times until the process has finished (took about 15 seconds)

• Turn off the N-TX and disconnect USB cable.

• Close updater window.

Thanks for that, and for clean formatting.

I was interrupted with my earlier post, and found I could not clean up my formatting when I returned; apologies.

Canon EOS 50D
bernieraffe
bernieraffe Contributing Member • Posts: 561

This is taken from the comments in a thread at 'Flash Havoc':-

-- hide signature --

Just letting people know that you can UPDATE the YN685N via the YN622N-TX controller. I did it with no issues
I also believe this is the same procedure for the Canon version

Download the files you need from http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detaily.php?ID=377 (Nikon Version)

Then unzip all the files (Installer & Firmware) , Install the updater and run. I updated using my YN622N-TX unit ( V1.08)
*******NOTE: you may need to upgrade your controller to the latest version to put it in YN685 upgrade mode

• Turn off YN622N-TX.
• Connect the N-TX to your Windows PC via a USB Micro-B cable (not supplied)
• Hold down [GROUP] and turn the N-TX on again.
——->>>>>>The N-TX displays ——>>>>>> yn | 685 | up.
• Device information should change from “Disconnect” to “Connect”in the Updater window, e.g. *
ON THE YN685 Flash
• Press [Mode] on the YN685 and at the same time turn it ON to enter wireless upgrade mode.
•On the Installer software Click “Browse…” to navigate to the required “.dfu” version, and open. Mine was 1.2.F and have updated to Version 1.3.3
***** NOTE: The blue link led will start to flash and also change colour at times until the process has finished (took about 15 seconds)
• When completed, the Updater will show e.g. “* updated successfully”.
——–>>>> The flash will re-start automatically, using the new version.
• Turn off the N-TX and disconnect USB cable.
• Close updater window and your done

Automate007 New Member • Posts: 4

LOL... That was my post Bernieraffe! I had to go round and correct a previous post where the 685 couldn't be updated.... You'll probably see more around and on a few youtube comments too

Great and thanks for all of you. I will upgrade my one following these instructions.

theonetruepath Senior Member • Posts: 1,735

SeedyBee wrote:

Add this bit: If the updater shows no sign of recognising the .dfu file, try renaming it from Yongnuo's name (eg rename YN685N_FW_V1.3.3.dfu (note strange characters in the name) to 685_133.dfu and browse to that instead.

I just updated my YN622N-TX trigger and three YN685 flashes, after the rename above all went smoothly

theonetruepath's gear list:theonetruepath's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
Singh Contributing Member • Posts: 504

Help Please 

I have followed the instructions as shown below but when I get down to powering 'ON' the YN685 whilst pressing the 'MODE' button (see below in bold, italic and underlined), what am I supposed to see on the YN685 display?  Should there be some kind of message or icon?

When I power ON whilst holding down the MODE button my flash powers up as normal, nothing changes?

Then, when I download the software to the flash via the trigger, the  trigger's green light changes to orange / red so it's sending it's data but nothing at all happens on the flash. There are no blue light changes or messages on the display.

Eventually the flash update software on the computer will display a "successful" message but nothing has changed on the flash unit, my software version on the YN658 remains at 1.2.2.

Can someone please help, what am I doing wrong?

My flash is the Canon version, is there anything different regarding going in to the wireless software upgrade mode on this particular flash?

I have successfully upgraded the software in the YN622C-TX trigger to V1.10 which is the latest, so I know that should not be an issue.

Any pointers will be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance

bernieraffe wrote:

This is taken from the comments in a thread at 'Flash Havoc':-

Singh's gear list:Singh's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +4 more

Singh wrote:

Help Please

I have followed the instructions as shown below but when I get down to powering 'ON' the YN685 whilst pressing the 'MODE' button (see below in bold, italic and underlined), what am I supposed to see on the YN685 display? Should there be some kind of message or icon?

When I power ON whilst holding down the MODE button my flash powers up as normal, nothing changes?

Something went wrong here. If you power up your flash while holding down the 'Mode' button it should display model number and version. If it doesn't than your mode button is dicky or something. This should work even without the 622-TX unit powered up.

Nikon D810 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more

theonetruepath wrote:

Singh wrote:

Help Please

I have followed the instructions as shown below but when I get down to powering 'ON' the YN685 whilst pressing the 'MODE' button (see below in bold, italic and underlined), what am I supposed to see on the YN685 display? Should there be some kind of message or icon?

Something went wrong here. If you power up your flash while holding down the 'Mode' button it should display model number and version. If it doesn't than your mode button is dicky or something. This should work even without the 622-TX unit powered up.

My Canon YN685C also powers up in normal mode. I have not yet found a firmware upgrade file for the YN685C, so cannot test with the system loaded and ready to go. It may behave differently, then.

With my YN685C, {MODE] does NOT show model number and FW version. The Custom Function menu item 28 does that.

Note also that:

~> The computer must have the latest YN685C FW Updater, the YN622C-TX FW Updater AND the YN685C FW update file itself (not yet found!)

~> The YN622C-TX device firmware must be latest.

It is possible that I am unable to progress on this as my YN685C model version is 1.0.0 and not 1.2.2 as others have reported.

Canon EOS 50D

SeedyBee wrote:

theonetruepath wrote:

Singh wrote:

Help Please

My Canon YN685C also powers up in normal mode. I have not yet found a firmware upgrade file for the YN685C, so cannot test with the system loaded and ready to go. It may behave differently, then.

With my YN685C, {MODE] does NOT show model number and FW version. The Custom Function menu item 28 does that.

On my Nikon version CFn12 does that. But power on with mode button held down is required for firmware upgrade. That shows the model, version and a bunch of numbers, and waits without timing out for the upgrade. Without this mode there is no firmware upgrade.

Note also that:

~> The computer must have the latest YN685C FW Updater, the YN622C-TX FW Updater AND the YN685C FW update file itself (not yet found!)

~> The YN622C-TX device firmware must be latest.

It is possible that I am unable to progress on this as my YN685C model version is 1.0.0 and not 1.2.2 as others have reported.

I think you are still looking for the way to get your flash into upgrade mode. There must be another way with your firmware level... or maybe you are stuck forever at 1.0.0

theonetruepath wrote:

On my Nikon version CFn12 does that. But power on with mode button held down is required for firmware upgrade. That shows the model, version and a bunch of numbers, and waits without timing out for the upgrade. Without this mode there is no firmware upgrade.

I think you are still looking for the way to get your flash into upgrade mode. There must be another way with your firmware level... or maybe you are stuck forever at 1.0.0

The YongNuo instructions for the Canon version are quite different, and it's full suite has not yet been released. The Nikon YN685N product ID is 377. The Canon YN685C product ID is 366.

To avoid any further confusion, I will start another strand in this thread for Canon users.

TOYUG II has info on the YN685C on pages 65 to 76 - it may be useful (see signature link). The firmware upgrade page is yet to be revised...

Canon EOS 50D

theonetruepath wrote:

Singh wrote:

Help Please

Thanks for you response. In case this helps, I have two Canon YN685's and both exhibit the same behaviour when powering the units ON whilst holding down the MODE button. That being, the flash unit does not go into firmware update mode, they both power up as normal.

Canon PowerShot S110 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +4 more

SeedyBee wrote:

theonetruepath wrote:

The YongNuo instructions for the Canon version are quite different, and it's full suite has not yet been released. The Nikon YN685N product ID is 377. The Canon YN685C product ID is 366.

To avoid any further confusion, I will start another strand in this thread for Canon users.

TOYUG II has info on the YN685C on pages 65 to 76 - it may be useful (see signature link). The firmware upgrade page is yet to be revised...

I will keep an eye out for it 😀 👍

Re: Yongnuo YN685 firmware updates - Warning

Warning – there are two distinct models of the YN685 Speedlite flash, each with distinct upgrade procedures. The posts in this thread are mixed, and therefore misleading.

One is for Canon (E-TTL). Its YongNuo product page with description and software links is at 

The other is for Nikon (i-TTL). Its YongNuo product page with description and software links is at
http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detaily.php?ID=377

Canon EOS 50D
Re: Yongnuo YN685 firmware updates - Warning

FLASH FIRMWARE UPDATES
YN685C Flash for Canon – product ID 366

The YN685C uses a “wireless upgrade mode”, where the YN622C-TX is used as a “proxy / agent / relay” between computer and flash.

There are two models of the YN685 Speedlite flash, each with its own distinct upgrade procedures.

One is for Canon (E-TTL). It has white lettering on the body, and a Canon pin-out in the hot-foot. The following notes are for this model. Its YongNuo product page with description and software links is

The other is for Nikon (i-TTL). It has gold lettering on the body, and a Nikon pin-out in the hot-foot. Its YongNuo product page with description and software links is at
http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detaily.php?ID=377

Version History
On the YN685C Speedlite, select Custom Function 28 to display the current flash version.

Hardware Required
· Windows computer (an emulator may not work).
· YN622C-TX trigger with firmware version 1.10 or later.
· USB Cable (computer to USB 3.0 Micro-B) between computer and the YN622C-TX.
· YN685C Speedlite flash (product ID 366).

Computer Software Required for YN622C-TX
> Trigger firmware upgrade installer. Ensure that the latest is installed in the computer.
> Trigger firmware upgrade file (dfu). Ensure that the latest is stored in the computer.

Computer software Required for YN685C
> Flash firmware upgrade installer.
To ensure that the latest installer version is installed in the computer, download Updater e.g. http://yongnuo.com.cn/app/YNFlash_Updater_Install_V1.1.rar
Unzip YNFlash_Updater_Install.rar
Run YNFlash_Updater_Setup.exe to install the driver and updater in your computer.

> Flash firmware upgrade file (dfu).
To ensure that the latest version is stored in the computer, go to page http://www.hkyongnuo.com, (e.g. “Firmware v1.3.3 | http: v1.3.3.zip”)
Download and unzip the latest firmware e.g. ***.
The expanded files include e.g. ***.

Run Updater
Run YNFlash Updater (e.g. C:\Program Files\YNFlash Updater\YNFlash Updater_EN.exe")
The Installer dialog appears:
“Device Infor: disconnect”
“Firmware Infor: (empty)”
“Firmware: [ ] Browse”
The YongNuo firmware updater instructions are also displayed.

Click [About] button to see the YNFlash Update version (e.g. version 1.1.)
Connect using a USB cable between computer and YN622C-TX.
On the trigger, hold down [GR/*] and turn [On]. Trigger display shows “YN | 685 | UP”
The YNFlash Updater dialog changes to “Device Infor: connect”

On the flash, hold down [Mode] and turn [On] (not “Lock”)
Flash shows normal LCD display.

On computer, click [Browse] button, and locate the .dfu YN685C firmware update file.
Click [Start] button. Updating starts. Indicator lights?
When the upgrade has completed, the updated YN685C will automatically restart.
The Updater dialog shows … updated successfully”.
Disconnect YN622C-TX.
Check the new YN685C flash version.

Canon EOS 50D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads