iPhone7+ 56mm equiv "portrait mode"

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Jonathan Brady Veteran Member • Posts: 5,025
iPhone7+ 56mm equiv "portrait mode"

I considered switching from Samsung and picking up an iPhone7+ just for the 56mm equivalent camera's field of view. I assumed the "portrait mode" would be pretty awful in implementation. As it turns out, sometimes it is. But sometimes, it's not so bad.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/21/hands-on-with-the-iphone-7-plus-crazy-new-portrait-mode/

For the discerning photographer, I don't think this will enter their arsenal as it can't be relied upon (yet?) but for the average iPhone buyer, I think they'll be incredibly happy with it.

Pretty cool.

-- hide signature --

The longer a thread, the more likely that someone mentions Henri Cartier-Bresson or Ansel Adams.

Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
jshen808
jshen808 Senior Member • Posts: 1,142
Re: iPhone7+ 56mm equiv "portrait mode"

Jonathan Brady wrote:

I considered switching from Samsung and picking up an iPhone7+ just for the 56mm equivalent camera's field of view. I assumed the "portrait mode" would be pretty awful in implementation. As it turns out, sometimes it is. But sometimes, it's not so bad.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/21/hands-on-with-the-iphone-7-plus-crazy-new-portrait-mode/

For the discerning photographer, I don't think this will enter their arsenal as it can't be relied upon (yet?) but for the average iPhone buyer, I think they'll be incredibly happy with it.

Pretty cool.

-- hide signature --

The longer a thread, the more likely that someone mentions Henri Cartier-Bresson or Ansel Adams.

The new technologies are great.. I was just visiting the Apple Store at the local mall today and saw the iPhone 7 & 7+ phones.. to me the 7+ is just huge.. I cannot imagine carrying it (nor the 6+) in my front pocket.. currently I'm using an iPhone 6 with an Otterbox, it seems to take good pictures (took a family member to the airport today and took some pictures with my phone), hope it will last me at least 5 more years, lol's..

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
Photography is my hobby.
http://www.pbase.com/johnshenphotography

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon D3S Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 +8 more
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,860
Software Bokeh remove another reasons to own DSLR/mirrorless

Techcrunch results are fanatastic. I have seem previous Dual Phone software bokeh, Apple iphone7 is very well implemented (with restrain) unlike the HTC. The bokeh is well balanced.

While dual cameras software bokeh isn't new, they are improving.  Today I can buy a Honor 8 with dual camera software bokeh for just $400.

10 years ago, I bought a bulky DSLR for just 2 reasons only:

1. Better Lowlights quality with minimum noise

2. ThinDOF photography with cheap Canon 50/1.8 primes

Iphone 7 and the rumor next Samsung S8 (also with dual cams software bokeh) can potentially eliminate 1/2 reason for me to own an iLC.

For majority of people, these new smartphone will become Yet another reasons to Not Buy a dedicated DSLR or mirrorless alike.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads