Macro Lens on Budget

Started Sep 21, 2016 | Questions
James Larsen
OP James Larsen Senior Member • Posts: 4,496
Re: Macro Lens on Budget

Macro guy wrote:

James Larsen wrote:

I want to shoot more nature (leaves, water drops, etc. etc. that cliche stuff), so slower autofocus is not really a big deal to me. I'll probably be MFing a lot of my shots anyway.

If that's all you're doing, you don't need IS. Use a tripod. Get a a set of tubes or a budget macro lens (they're all pretty good in terms of IQ in the 90-105 range) and go shooting. Don't be afraid of the tripod.

I'm not afraid of the tripod - just I want to be able to walk around in the woods with just my camera & lens, I like to keep it simple.

I'm considering selling my 24-105 and picking up a used 24-70 f4, as it has the 0.7x macro mode, which would suit my needs.

-- hide signature --

15 yr old Aspiring Wildlife Photographer. Hoping to be a Cinematographer.
http://jameslarsenphoto.weebly.com/
https://500px.com/jameslarsenmi

James Larsen's gear list:James Larsen's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +3 more
shk12
shk12 Regular Member • Posts: 431

Hi James, i sent you a PM on this subject

shk12's gear list:shk12's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +6 more
Macro guy
Macro guy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,110

James Larsen wrote:

Macro guy wrote:

James Larsen wrote:

I want to shoot more nature (leaves, water drops, etc. etc. that cliche stuff), so slower autofocus is not really a big deal to me. I'll probably be MFing a lot of my shots anyway.

If that's all you're doing, you don't need IS. Use a tripod. Get a a set of tubes or a budget macro lens (they're all pretty good in terms of IQ in the 90-105 range) and go shooting. Don't be afraid of the tripod.

I'm not afraid of the tripod - just I want to be able to walk around in the woods with just my camera & lens, I like to keep it simple.

I'm considering selling my 24-105 and picking up a used 24-70 f4, as it has the 0.7x macro mode, which would suit my needs.

Ok, here's where there was a disconnect.  When you say "macro", that usually means at least lifesize (1:1), whereas it seems that what you're looking for is closeup photography.  So, if you're happy with 1/2 lifesize magnification, or there about, then you don't have to sell anything.  Just get a closeup filter type of a lens, as the others have suggested, (be sure it's a two element) and use your existing 24-105.  There's no light loss with that setup and it's probably the most cost effective and easiest way to do the things you want to do.

Macro guy's gear list:Macro guy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +5 more
The shootist
The shootist Regular Member • Posts: 304

Hi James
I don't know if you have decided on or have purchased a macro lens yet, but you seemed fairly adamant on getting one with IS, and I'm not saying not to but I thought I would share a few pics taken with my 70d and the Canon 100mm non-IS.
I would've used the 80d but I now keep my Sigma 50-500mm on it.
I'm 73, I have very steady hands but I do sway, my body is always in motion, not that anyone could see it but when looking through a camera it's noticeable.
These were all taken in early July, hand held, no flash, just out walking around my yard.
Lighting was low, so I used a slow shutter speed, to keep ISO in check.
There not the greatest but there not bad, and it shows the potential of using a non IS for macro pics, along with slow shutter speeds.
At the time of purchase I was just like you I wanted the IS version, but at almost twice the price I couldn't see spending the money just to get the IS.
So that's it, I hope this is helpful if you haven't yet made up your mind.
I hope you enjoy the pics, the first is cropped and adjusted, the second is the actual shot untouched.

-- hide signature --

It's no longer the equipment you use that will make you a better photographer, it's the person you look at in the mirror every day.
The Shootist (RETIRED)
http://theshootist.zenfolio.com/

The shootist's gear list:The shootist's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Canon EOS 600D +16 more
Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,181
Re: Macro Lens on Budget: Tokina 100/2.8 AT-X

The Tokina 100/2.8 Macro AT-X is not expensive. I started DSLR photography with a bag of pre-owned kit that included this lens, and even though I now have such lenses as the EF 100/2.8L Macro IS and some excellent AI, AI-S, and AF-S Micro-Nikkors, I still like the Tokina for flowers. (I shoot plenty of flowers, as an antidote to the crime scene photography I do while on duty.)

This Tokina has no IS/VC/etc., but hand-held macro is a rather specialized endeavor. Keep in mind that one's own forward-and-rearward movements will play havoc with focusing, anyway, limiting the usefulness of IS/VC at macro distances. (I have to shoot close-range/macro hand-held in some situations, such as hospital ER treatment areas, which can be an exercise in frustration, especially when fatigued or over-caffeinated, requiring great patience.)

To be clear, I am not any kind of expert, and most of my macro images are totally artless.)

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and make evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, and PJ. I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +43 more
Rexgig0
EF 100-400L II has IS, and quite close MFD.

While it is not a "budget" lens, one way to help one's budget is to consolidate lenses. The EF 100-400L II IS has a quite close MFD, Image Stabilization, and a reproduction ration that makes it quite good for many close-range subjects that do not require a true macro lens. If not affordable now, keep it in mind for a future upgrade/consolidation.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and make evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, and PJ. I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +43 more
Rexgig0
500D diopter for your EF 100-400L IS.

You may want to research the feasibility of using a 500D close-range/macro diopter lens for the EF 100-400L IS that you now have.

-- hide signature --

SeeTheWorld
SeeTheWorld Regular Member • Posts: 342

Some great shots there.

SeeTheWorld's gear list:SeeTheWorld's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G11 Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI +8 more
The shootist

Thanks I thought they came out ok considering the 125 to 160 shutter speed.

-- hide signature --

It's no longer the equipment you use that will make you a better photographer, it's the person you look at in the mirror every day.
The Shootist (RETIRED)

Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Canon EOS 600D +16 more
yodermk Senior Member • Posts: 1,356

Yes the Canon 100mm f/2.8 non-L is a winner. It was the first lens I bought when I got my Rebel in 2008, and it's still one of my favorite lenses.  I've felt no need to upgrade to the 100L, even though I now have 6 different L lenses.

Stabilization might be nice, sure, but not needed in sunlight, or even bright cloudy days if you increase your ISO a bit.  Indoors, yeah that will be a problem unless you use a tripod.

I also sometimes put a Raynox 2.5X extra magnification lens on the end of the 100 for "super macro".

-- hide signature --

If it's a *Single* Lens Reflex, why do I need so many lenses?

yodermk's gear list:yodermk's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +12 more
The shootist

Yes they are handy clip-ones, but I haven't used them much since I stop using my Panasonic FZ50.
Maybe I'll play around with them to see what they can do, same with the Kenko Extension Tube Set, could be a fun project.

-- hide signature --

The Shootist (RETIRED)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads