Damaged lens bezel/inner mount.

Started Sep 21, 2016 | Discussions
PhillG
PhillG New Member • Posts: 4
Damaged lens bezel/inner mount.

Okay, so I have just returned my Nikon D810 to Nikon in the UK for repair under warranty as the autofocus is slightly off with some lenses. They have come back to say it has sustained impact damage, and indeed sent pictures showing a small crack in the inner section of the lens mount (black metal/plastic underneath the metal bezel.

They suggest the camera has been knocked with a lens attached.

The thing is I have never dropped, knocked or sat on my camera, and had I done, surely a lens would also show signs of "impact".

The only thing I have done is to use the camera with a new Nikkor 200-500mm lens attached, which is quite a beast. I wonder if there is a chance the damage may have bene caused by using this large lens, on what is a weakness in the design of the D810.

I have photos from Nikon of the damage, which I am attaching.

PhillG's gear list:PhillG's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS +3 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
philm5d Contributing Member • Posts: 847
Re: Damaged lens bezel/inner mount.

Hi Phill, Phil here responding,

I have the same camera/lens combo having just bought the 200-500mm. I previously owned the Sigma 150-600mm which was a lighter lens and I was a bit surprised how heavy and chunky the 200-500mm is in comparison but there we are. You know I think you are probably right about the cause of the damage. I try to hold the camera/lens by the strap AND the tripod collar foot or just hold the lens but I have found myself  just using the camera strap and thinking Wow there's a heck of a lot of leverage on the camera mount except when the lens is pointing vertically downwards.

Your post had me checking out my camera and fortunately no signs of any crack (yet). Maybe others who are used to using bigger/longer lenses could share how they support their cameras? By the way, I'm not fond of the thought of those systems that anchor a strap into the tripod socket of the camera - sounds like a recipe for base plate distortion. The D810, excellent though it is, is a pro sensor in a relatively light amateur/semi pro body although, to be honest, I'd still be careful how I carried the 200-500 with the D3/4/5 cameras. Do tell how you get on with the repair by the way.

PhillG wrote:

Okay, so I have just returned my Nikon D810 to Nikon in the UK for repair under warranty as the autofocus is slightly off with some lenses. They have come back to say it has sustained impact damage, and indeed sent pictures showing a small crack in the inner section of the lens mount (black metal/plastic underneath the metal bezel.

They suggest the camera has been knocked with a lens attached.

The thing is I have never dropped, knocked or sat on my camera, and had I done, surely a lens would also show signs of "impact".

The only thing I have done is to use the camera with a new Nikkor 200-500mm lens attached, which is quite a beast. I wonder if there is a chance the damage may have bene caused by using this large lens, on what is a weakness in the design of the D810.

I have photos from Nikon of the damage, which I am attaching.

mrgs1
mrgs1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,839

With the 200-500mm fully extended its quite a length so there would be quite a bit of force applied to the mount, I try to carry mine by lens tripod mount but sometimes forget and momentarily let go and leave all stress on the mount.

mrgs1's gear list:mrgs1's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +9 more
pluton Veteran Member • Posts: 3,140

You could try elevating your argument to the supervisor, emphasizing that you used the camera with a Nikon lens, a lens that Nikon did not warn you would 'damage the camera'.

It looks like Nikon s making the sub-mount parts out of clay.

-- hide signature --

-KB-

PhillG
OP PhillG New Member • Posts: 4

Thanks for the comments. Camera repaired at great cost £350+ but good to have it back. I now carry the 200-500 by the tripod mount. I am disappointed, but there we are. Be careful everyone, don't let the weight of the lens damage the body!

PhillG's gear list:PhillG's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads