5dmk4 - 4GB split does not occur if you format cards in exFat

Started Sep 21, 2016 | Discussions
LoneRegister
LoneRegister Regular Member • Posts: 138
5dmk4 - 4GB split does not occur if you format cards in exFat

Credit where credit is due - forum user: Reza Raquib stated this in a post earlier - and I thought it was important enough to create an actual thread with this in the title.

See - one PITA issue with the 5dmk4 solved by one of our forum members.  If you don't want to deal with 20, 30 or 50 files - format your cards in exFat.

Thanks Reza!

LoneRegister's gear list:LoneRegister's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM +6 more
Reza Raquib
Reza Raquib Regular Member • Posts: 247
Re: 5dmk4 - 4GB split does not occur if you format cards in exFat

The mention is much appreciated

Reza Raquib's gear list:Reza Raquib's gear list
Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +2 more
LoneRegister
OP LoneRegister Regular Member • Posts: 138

Reza Raquib wrote:

The mention is much appreciated

Reza - it was all you that I learned it from.  I just am so excited to NOT have to be dealing with fragments of 4k video (or even the though of it (UGGG)) that I had to headline it.

Kevin

LoneRegister's gear list:LoneRegister's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM +6 more
RichW Forum Pro • Posts: 12,932

Great discovery.  Since the camera doesn't give the option on smaller cards <250GB what's the best way to do this?  With a card reader, through a USB connection, or some other way?  Canon recommends formatting in camera only.

Rich

RichW's gear list:RichW's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +7 more
Reza Raquib
Reza Raquib Regular Member • Posts: 247

I formatted all my 64GB SD cards in a USB card reader.  Seems to work just fine.

Reza Raquib's gear list:Reza Raquib's gear list
Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +2 more
Dirk Dittert Regular Member • Posts: 415

I was wondering while reading the manual, if there is an option to always format cards as ExFat. Or did I just miss it?

Dirk Dittert's gear list:Dirk Dittert's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
David Burren Regular Member • Posts: 391
Isn't this clearly set out in the manual?

See page 360 of the manual.

As per standard behaviour, SDXC cards (i.e. those 64 GB and larger) get formatted in exFAT. I wasn't aware of a standard point at which cameras format with exFAT for CF, but we can see in the manual that for the 5D4 it's only CF cards larger than 128 GB that get this.

The manual states:

When using an exFAT-formatted card, even if the file size exceeds 4 GB during movie shooting, the movie will be saved as a single file.

An obvious conclusion from reading that is that if you format your cards as exFAT (no matter what their size) the camera will not split files (until it fills the card and wants to switch to the next I suppose?). You can't arbitrarily force the camera to do this though: you'd need to format the smaller cards using a computer (whether Windows or Mac).

David Burren Regular Member • Posts: 391

Dirk Dittert wrote:

I was wondering while reading the manual, if there is an option to always format cards as ExFat. Or did I just miss it?

Only by using a CF card larger than 128 GB, or an SD card larger than 32 GB (i.e. an SDXC card).

Chris Giles
Chris Giles Regular Member • Posts: 443

David Burren wrote:

Dirk Dittert wrote:

Only by using a CF card larger than 128 GB, or an SD card larger than 32 GB (i.e. an SDXC card).

Yep, it's in the user manual.

Canochrome Regular Member • Posts: 351

Reza Raquib wrote:

I formatted all my 64GB SD cards in a USB card reader. Seems to work just fine.

Yes - I always format my cards on the computer before ever using them in the camera. Exfat is an option on my Windows machine even with 32 gig cards. It was "pre-chosen" when I put my new 64 gig in there.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Canochrome's gear list:Canochrome's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +20 more
Enders Shadow
Enders Shadow Veteran Member • Posts: 3,450

Canochrome wrote:

Reza Raquib wrote:

I formatted all my 64GB SD cards in a USB card reader. Seems to work just fine.

Yes - I always format my cards on the computer before ever using them in the camera. Exfat is an option on my Windows machine even with 32 gig cards. It was "pre-chosen" when I put my new 64 gig in there.

Be careful when formatting SD cards on your computer. Most SD cards have a small unallocated partition, that among other things, is required for proper partition alignment. Deleting the partition can interfere with wear leveling. The SD Association created a utility to format SD cards to their specs. It can be found here

-- hide signature --

Phil

Enders Shadow's gear list:Enders Shadow's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads