how many enthusiast/hobby photograophers are carrying 2+ DSLR bodies?

Started Sep 20, 2016 | Discussions
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,770
how many enthusiast/hobby photograophers are carrying 2+ DSLR bodies?

I know that pro shooters will always carry at least 2 (if not more) DSLr camera bodies.  But how many enthusiasts/hobby photographers on the forum carry two bodies?

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +8 more
MaxCh Senior Member • Posts: 1,398
Re: how many enthusiast/hobby photograophers are carrying 2+ DSLR bodies?

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

I know that pro shooters will always carry at least 2 (if not more) DSLr camera bodies. But how many enthusiasts/hobby photographers on the forum carry two bodies?

I am not a pro but I often carry two DLSRs. However, I must be a very unique case because I am often asked why I have two cameras. I do it because I find it much easier to carry two cameras than having to change lenses all the time.

The only other people I've seen with two cameras are pros.

MaxCh's gear list:MaxCh's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Bobo Hodls
Bobo Hodls Forum Pro • Posts: 40,425

It doesn't matter.   You have permission to do whatever you want.

It's nice to have a 2nd body with a telezoom at the ready while composing scenics. . . you  know, for when that eagle flies by. . . Or shooting street both up close and afar. . . And any other rationales for any other subjects one can concoct also apply.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
http://www.bobtullis.com

Bobo Hodls's gear list:Bobo Hodls's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T4
Kerry Beverly Regular Member • Posts: 338

I carry two to avoid changing primes in the field. Would carry three if I could afford it and had the stamina.

-- hide signature --
 Kerry Beverly's gear list:Kerry Beverly's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony a7R II +3 more
jvc1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,202

I always keep an SL-1 in my bag as a 2nd body. I only walk around with 2 cameras if I'm out with a long zoom and think I might see something I'd quickly need a different lens for.

jvc1's gear list:jvc1's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +10 more
OP sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,770

Kerry Beverly wrote:

I carry two to avoid changing primes in the field. Would carry three if I could afford it and had the stamina.

That's kind of how I feel many times during shoots.  I find myself switching lenses here and there ,and I'm sure I've missed some great shots because I was switching lenses around.

There are a few hobby photographers that I know of that carry more than one body, and I know it's a choice, not like you need "permission" as one person pointed out.   I was more or less just curious as to if  many people on here do that sort of thing.

I can see some benefits though too, like if you have to send one body off for repair, you at least will have a second to fall back on, plus is one decides not to work on site, you at least have a backup, not to mention if you get different camera types (ie. full frame and crop) you can get best of both worlds in my opinion as well, which is what I was consdering.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +8 more

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Kerry Beverly wrote:

That's kind of how I feel many times during shoots. I find myself switching lenses here and there ,and I'm sure I've missed some great shots because I was switching lenses around.

There are a few hobby photographers that I know of that carry more than one body, and I know it's a choice, not like you need "permission" as one person pointed out. I was more or less just curious as to if many people on here do that sort of thing.

I can see some benefits though too, like if you have to send one body off for repair, you at least will have a second to fall back on, plus is one decides not to work on site, you at least have a backup, not to mention if you get different camera types (ie. full frame and crop) you can get best of both worlds in my opinion as well, which is what I was consdering.

I think it is extremely unusual for an "average serious enthusiast" ( I would define that person as somebody who has a mid-level DLSR and few good lenses) to carry two cameras.

I am going to Disney soon and I assume I will be the only person there with two cameras who is not a pro.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 14,303

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

I know that pro shooters will always carry at least 2 (if not more) DSLr camera bodies. But how many enthusiasts/hobby photographers on the forum carry two bodies?

I'll take two on some trips. However, I'm taking E-Mx's and they aren't very big. Usually I'll have an E-M1, and my partner will have the E-M5. Occasionally she uses it to take photos, but it's also there as a backup in case I break mine.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 344

MaxCh wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Kerry Beverly wrote:

That's kind of how I feel many times during shoots. I find myself switching lenses here and there ,and I'm sure I've missed some great shots because I was switching lenses around.

There are a few hobby photographers that I know of that carry more than one body, and I know it's a choice, not like you need "permission" as one person pointed out. I was more or less just curious as to if many people on here do that sort of thing.

I think it is extremely unusual for an "average serious enthusiast" ( I would define that person as somebody who has a mid-level DLSR and few good lenses) to carry two cameras.

I am going to Disney soon and I assume I will be the only person there with two cameras who is not a pro.

Disney with two cameras is overkill if you are going to do any rides.    You will spend time looking for spots to stash your camera gear & miss shots.   Take a good pns and get a photopass.   The Disney photogs have all the great angles covered and you have to wait until no customers or take and off angle shot.  They also have lights setup where needed that you would never be able to take.

yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 15,571

I can't because I only have one, but I will occasionally carry my DSLR and one of my Fuji mirrorless cameras.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +20 more

braysghost wrote:

MaxCh wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Kerry Beverly wrote:

Disney with two cameras is overkill if you are going to do any rides. You will spend time looking for spots to stash your camera gear & miss shots. Take a good pns and get a photopass. The Disney photogs have all the great angles covered and you have to wait until no customers or take and off angle shot. They also have lights setup where needed that you would never be able to take.

I am going there with my family and a bunch of friends, taking Canon 15-85mm and 70-300L lenses. I don't usually go on too many rides, but when I do I just put the stuff into lockers. It all works out well, I've done it before but I've never seen anybody else do it. I sometimes hike with two cameras too.I assume it is unusual too.

Having said that, I know it is overkill but it is part of the fun. Can't wait to go.

Jestertheclown
Jestertheclown Veteran Member • Posts: 4,061

MaxCh wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

I am not a pro but I often carry two DLSRs. However, I must be a very unique case because I am often asked why I have two cameras. I do it because I find it much easier to carry two cameras than having to change lenses all the time.

Same here.

I get asked the same question too.

The only other people I've seen with two cameras are pros.

"It's good to be . . . . . . . . . Me!"

canonbcguy Contributing Member • Posts: 814

I've done it (with FF DSLR bodies), but rarely.  Events only.

It's unwieldy.  I've got one of those harnesses that straps a camera to your chest and the other to the hip.  The harness makes a big difference (much better than 2 cameras dangling on straps)  but you're a bit tired at the end of a few hours.

On travels, it's not uncommon to see me with 2 cameras, but they're mirrorless Fuji X bodies.  So less weighty and bulky than full-fledged DSLRs.  I can go all day with this configuration without getting excessively tired.

In both scenarios, the 2 bodies eliminate the need to change lenses with the further advantage in the travel scenario that the 2nd--and compatible--body is a backup.

As an aside, in nearly every situation when I've only got  a single DSLR or a Fuji X, I'm packing 2 cameras due to the minuscule size of Sony's RX100--I'm nearly always packing it in a pants pocket, completely unnoticeable.

canonbcguy's gear list:canonbcguy's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +38 more
Dutch Newchurch
Dutch Newchurch Veteran Member • Posts: 5,716

I bought a second body last summer.  I chose the same model as I already have, to make it easy to swap between them.  I usually take only one body.  When I take a second, I usually leave it in the car.  I'll take it with me only when I don't expect to have much time to change lenses.

jayrandomer
jayrandomer Senior Member • Posts: 1,059
I do!

Two bodies and a child carrier backpack (occasionally with an additional lens tucked away in storage). One APS-C camera with telephoto lens for wildlife and a FF camera with zoom for scenery.

Not having to switch lenses is well worth the added weight when hiking  It's a lot of gear, but I'm a stronger hiker than my wife so I'm still walking behind her to keep from getting too far ahead.

jayrandomer's gear list:jayrandomer's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +4 more
felix from the suburbs
felix from the suburbs Senior Member • Posts: 1,554
That used to be me

For a long time I always travelled with a camera bag with 2 cameras and several lenses. Until I found myself in the Nevada desert in 110 degree heat. Lugging all that weight around took the fun out of our hike. In the meantime my wife was having a great time with a point and shoot camera that she kept in her back pocket. So, now it's one camera with me, one back at the hotel, and a zoom and a prime lens in the camera bag. The lens selection varies according to the kind of outing that we are on.

felix from the suburbs's gear list:felix from the suburbs's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Canon PowerShot SX710 Nikon D90 Sony Alpha DSLR-A500 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 +19 more
Tim Reidy Productions
Tim Reidy Productions Veteran Member • Posts: 5,251
yesterday

yesterday I carried 2 mirrorless bodies. and the day before yesterday.

I carry two cameras many times but usually the second one is a point and shoot.

Tim Reidy Productions's gear list:Tim Reidy Productions's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Panasonic G85 Olympus E-M1 II +3 more
Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 29,625

I carry 2 if I know I'll be using more than 1 lens and don't want to swap lenses.

Mark

Old Greenlander Veteran Member • Posts: 4,402

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Always two

An FF and a DX

sometimes from different systems

-- hide signature --

Old Greenlander
"I show the world the way I see it"
35 years of photography and still learning

Old Greenlander's gear list:Old Greenlander's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +18 more
chipmaster
chipmaster Veteran Member • Posts: 3,225

Once you get the taste of two, and if you shoot fast action / events even as an enthusiast it is hard to go back.   I find one with a 24-70 and the other with a 70-200 a must for most stuff

-- hide signature --

" Today's Pictures Are Tomorrow's Memories "

chipmaster's gear list:chipmaster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D5 +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads