EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM - anyone used one?

Started Sep 19, 2016 | Questions
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 7,638
EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM - anyone used one?

Does anyone have any feedback on the Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM lens?
I've found very few samples from this lens online using Google and I'm sure there must be some owners here on the forum.  If you own or have used this lens, I'd be interested to hear what your thoughts are and what your results were.   I looked at the Canon site samples but there's a glitch and it only allows me to view just one of the numerous pictures they have uploaded.
Also, did it come with the Lens Hood or, like some other M lenses, is it absent?
--
Regards,
Marco Nero.

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS Ra Canon EOS R6 Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM +20 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Vlasty Senior Member • Posts: 1,856
Re: EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM - anyone used one?

I used it a bit. I find it performs as any other kit within its focal range. Nothing special, but it is relatively small. I like it for what it is.

Vlasty's gear list:Vlasty's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +12 more
richro Regular Member • Posts: 245

Dustin Abbott did a pretty good (and lengthy like the rest of his reviews) review of the EF-M 55-200mm here -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4_NiDxR0t8

That said, I think he is the only person I've seen say that the EF-M 55-200 was sharper than the EF-S 55-250.

I personally don't have any hands-on experience with the EF-M, but since I already had the EF-S + adapter, I stuck with that. I like the added reach and 1/3 stop faster aperture, and think it's still small and light enough to balance well with the EOS M.

That said, I use my 6D + 70-300L more often when I actually need that long focal length.

richro's gear list:richro's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M5 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Canon EOS M Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +11 more
Greg Edwards Contributing Member • Posts: 558

I have one that I ordered with my M3 with standard 18-55 kit lens.

Bear in mind I have no experience with DSLR's, I have 'upgraded from a PowerShot G12, so for me this lens' performance is wonderful. It's certainly a lot more powerful that the meagre 5x zoom of the G12 (which is more akin to around 105mm at the long end IIRC), and definitely much lighter and smaller than my old Sigma 70-210mm that I used on my old Minolta Dynax 7000i 35mm SLR.

This does not come with a lens hood or a case (something I wish manufacturers would do something about - the afore mentioned Sigma came with both, in fact, I wish camera's would come with cases too!), however, I found a third party hood and neoprene case that fit well on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OPY7SD4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BT02MC8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

An example of something small I took with it from a fair distance, through glass in Budapest Zoo. Not going to win any awards, but I like it. Even at F6.3 I'm impressed with the shallow depth of field on such a small mammal.

Greg Edwards's gear list:Greg Edwards's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM +5 more
John TF Senior Member • Posts: 1,363

I have both this lens and the EF-S 55-250, and find myself using the native lens unless I need the extra reach (which is actually not that great in real world shooting). It matches the M just as well as the other M lenses and functions accordingly. No complaints about IQ. After careful comparison, I concluded (as did Justin Brown) that the M lens is actually slightly sharper throughout most of the range, tapering off at the long end; at 200mm they are about equally sharp.

Handling of the M version is a pleasure. I find that the somewhat smaller size can be a significant if subtle advantage carrying the camera in hand. It feels "right" and an integral part of the camera, more so than the 55-250.

OTOH, the 55-250 is cheap used on eBay.

I will probably sell the EF-S lens when I get around to it.

-- hide signature --

John TF

John TF's gear list:John TF's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM +3 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,521

Marco Nero wrote:

I've found very few samples from this lens online using Google and I'm sure there must be some owners here on the forum. If you own or have used this lens, I'd be interested to hear what your thoughts are and what your results were. I looked at the Canon site samples but there's a glitch and it only allows me to view just one of the numerous pictures they have uploaded.

it's actually my second most favorite EF-M lens behind that of the 11-22.

I find that you need to use DLO to really get that lens looking fantastic.. but it cleans up nicely.

rrccad wrote:

Marco Nero wrote:

I've found very few samples from this lens online using Google and I'm sure there must be some owners here on the forum. If you own or have used this lens, I'd be interested to hear what your thoughts are and what your results were. I looked at the Canon site samples but there's a glitch and it only allows me to view just one of the numerous pictures they have uploaded.

it's actually my second most favorite EF-M lens behind that of the 11-22.

I find that you need to use DLO to really get that lens looking fantastic.. but it cleans up nicely.

here's a full image at 200mm DLO'ed. you can see it cleans up quite nicely. this is simply DPP output (quickly) .. just to give you an idea.

oops that's at 135mm .. derp.

here.

not my finest work, but i find foliage the toughest for these cameras and lenses to resolve well (especially after getting spoiled by my Sigma).

also the statue, makes life difficult on less expensive lenses, because it tends to show CA.

Marco Nero wrote:

Sorry Nero back on topic. t-dimension and others have white box 55-200mm's for sale at times. given the fact that you are out alot with other gear to carry, it's really a great little lens for a lightweight kit, I couldn't recommend this lens enough. it's alot of fun, and it's freaking small and light.

(it's 228 AU at t-dimension for a white box bulk lens)

http://www.t-dimension.com/au_en/canon-ef-m-55-200mm-f-4-5-6-3-is-stm-lens-bulk.html

lumierephotography Regular Member • Posts: 153

Marco,

I bought this lens for my M when it first came out.  It wasn't available in the US at the time so I bought it from Henrys in Canada.  No lens hood was included.  I am used to this, unless I am buying an L lens, which usually do come with a hood.  I have found it to be sharp and, as others have noted, the light weight and small size make it very easy to carry and use when I wouldn't have had a larger lens with me.  I haven't used it with processing the images in DPP as I hadn't heard before that DLO would make a significant difference, but will give it a test.

My one complaint about the lens is that it seems significantly more sensitive to autofocus issues as a result of the large focus box on both the M and M3.  Frequently, when I am trying to focus on something that doesn't completely fill the focus box the camera will consistently focus on the background rather than the foreground object I am interested in.  This seems to happen significantly more frequently than with any of my other EF-M lenses, of which I have all except the 15-45mm.  bI hopeful that this issue will be corrected by the option of a smaller focus box on the M5, which I do plan on getting.

Mark

lumierephotography's gear list:lumierephotography's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EF 400mm f/4.0 DO IS USM +18 more
mapline
mapline Contributing Member • Posts: 609

Hi Marco

Thanks for all you posts and I like my M the more I use it.

Think the M 55-200 is cute but I went for the 55-250 as so much cheaper (under £97 UK£) and Ken Rockwell thinks its sharper, extra 50mm which I think is good as I wanted max tele

. It has a METAL mount which I know you like. Yes it is a little larger and heavier but its still very light for a lens of 55-250. Only on the camera when I want the longer zoom but its still light and I don't think it looks odd. Control switches on lens.

Both have +/- so you can't go wrong with either.

Regards
mapline

mapline's gear list:mapline's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 50-230mm II Phase One Capture One Pro +2 more
Chrisinhouston
Chrisinhouston Contributing Member • Posts: 555

I own it and use it from time to time. That being said I tend to find myself not shooting as many long shots with my M system as with my Canon DSLRs because when I use a long tele-zoom I am usually shooting sports or wildlife at a distance so I just choose the DSLRs most of the time. But I do use it occasionally, I pack it when I am going on trips where the M system is what I am taking. I find it quite sharp but prefer to use it on my M3 as opposed to my old M because I find it easier to compose, focus and shoot with a viewfinder as opposed to the rear LCD screen on the M.

I find it funny about the plastic lens mount complaint. My M kit consists of the M and M3, the 22, 11-22, 18-55, 55-200 and a 40mm pancake on the M adapter. On any given day of shooting on a trip I probably only switch lenses around 3 or 4 times, having 2 bodies cuts it a bit. I can't imagine that is enough to do any substantial wear to the mount. There are a lot of major parts on cars, trucks and even the space shuttle and I don't hear anyone complaining about that. Some plastics are just about as hard as metal.

There is a good article at Petapixel on the myth of evil plastic lens mounts:

http://petapixel.com/2014/01/03/metal-mounts-really-better-plastic-lens-rentals-investigates/

-- hide signature --

“Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow.” – Imogen Cunningham

Chrisinhouston's gear list:Chrisinhouston's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R7 GoPro Hero5 Black +22 more
jcochran Senior Member • Posts: 1,401

Marco

I really don't do whole lot with a telephoto but I bought the 55-200 just to have one in case I ran across a situation where one would come in handy.  I had an opportunity to try it out this last summer on a beach trip I took to Rehoboth, Delaware.  What impressed me the most about the lens was the image stabilization. I was riding in a pontoon boat in Rehoboth Bay on a rather windy day and was able to capture some fairly good snap shots even though the ride was quite rough.  A few examples:

jcochran's gear list:jcochran's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Canon EOS M Canon EOS M5 Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS RP +22 more
geoffmalter
geoffmalter Senior Member • Posts: 2,798

Marco, the 55-200 M works very well for me. I'm very happy with its IQ (I shoot with the M1). Of my four M lenses, it's the 3rd most used, after my 22 and 11-22. It does NOT come with a lens hood. I purchased a collapsible rubber hood.

Very minor PP with Photogene on my iPad.

At 200mm - City of Los Angeles Fire Dept Boat #2

At 162mm - leaving entrance to Los Angeles Harbor main channel for ports unknown

geoffmalter's gear list:geoffmalter's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +4 more
deanzification Junior Member • Posts: 32

Hi Marco,

I used it quite frequently, really satisfied with the IQ, and portability. Bring it along almost in every trip. Lately, I often use it for portrait too.

Tried EF-S 55-250 on M before, but it was too big, 50mm extra reach won't bother me.

Some samples here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aachmad/albums/72157646338329753/with/15035652680/

deanzification's gear list:deanzification's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Voigtlander 40mm F2 Ultron SL II Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +4 more
Iggy12 New Member • Posts: 8

I like this lens, nice and small, good for some extra reach when larger lenses aren't allowed

Iggy12 wrote:

I like this lens, nice and small, good for some extra reach when larger lenses aren't allowed

great shots!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads