FUJI X-T2, Terrible RAW Files - help needed

Started Sep 18, 2016 | Discussions
mattbrx New Member • Posts: 24
FUJI X-T2, Terrible RAW Files - help needed
3

Hi, new entrant to the world of Fuji here - making the switch from FF Canons. Picked up my X-T2 on Friday, been shooting RAW + jpeg over the weekend in preparation for a wedding next weekend, and I'm having terrible RAW file issues. The camera is beautiful to use, the jpeg's SOOC are really good too - but when i import the RAW files into LR, they are almost unusable - I get weird markings particularly on faces that looks as if an odd amount of sharpening and NR has been applied - they look terrible/ any idea what this is/how i rectify it?

Many thanks

Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,151
Re: FUJI X-T2, Terrible RAW Files - help needed

mattbrx wrote:

Hi, new entrant to the world of Fuji here - making the switch from FF Canons. Picked up my X-T2 on Friday, been shooting RAW + jpeg over the weekend in preparation for a wedding next weekend, and I'm having terrible RAW file issues. The camera is beautiful to use, the jpeg's SOOC are really good too - but when i import the RAW files into LR, they are almost unusable - I get weird markings particularly on faces that looks as if an odd amount of sharpening and NR has been applied - they look terrible/ any idea what this is/how i rectify it?

Many thanks

Please post some full res examples.  I've been using LR with the X-T2 since it was released and have had no such issues.  It also might help to know which version of LR you're using.

 Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
Charles2
Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,315
Re: FUJI X-T2, Terrible RAW Files - help needed

I don't know LR, but open a problem file in the free Fuji Raw File Converter and compare.

-- hide signature --

The comment above probably has an example in my photostream at http://www.flickr.com/photos/41790885@N08/

OP mattbrx New Member • Posts: 24
Re: FUJI X-T2, Terrible RAW Files - help needed

Thanks - I'll give that a go. Examples posted next

OP mattbrx New Member • Posts: 24
Re: FUJI X-T2, Terrible RAW Files - help needed

Jerry-astro wrote:

mattbrx wrote:

Hi, new entrant to the world of Fuji here - making the switch from FF Canons. Picked up my X-T2 on Friday, been shooting RAW + jpeg over the weekend in preparation for a wedding next weekend, and I'm having terrible RAW file issues. The camera is beautiful to use, the jpeg's SOOC are really good too - but when i import the RAW files into LR, they are almost unusable - I get weird markings particularly on faces that looks as if an odd amount of sharpening and NR has been applied - they look terrible/ any idea what this is/how i rectify it?

Many thanks

Please post some full res examples. I've been using LR with the X-T2 since it was released and have had no such issues. It also might help to know which version of LR you're using.

Hi Jerry - thanks:

I know the image isn't quite in focus and I'm assuming that's either a separate lens issue, or user error - but the bit that's driving me nuts is the swirls and over processed look around the eyes

Stflbn Veteran Member • Posts: 3,717
Re: FUJI X-T2, Terrible RAW Files - help needed
3

First,  when changing brands forget everything you used to do sharpening wise with your old camera.   Start at 0 and figure out what works for you.

-- hide signature --

Fuji X-T1
16 1.4 | 23 1.4 | 56 1.2 | 16-55 2.8 | 50-140 2.8
http://501concepts.com

 Stflbn's gear list:Stflbn's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7 III Sony a6500 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sigma 40mm F1.4 DG HSM +9 more
OP mattbrx New Member • Posts: 24
Re: FUJI X-T2, Terrible RAW Files - help needed

I'm using up to date Adobe LR CC, on a Mac.

OP mattbrx New Member • Posts: 24
Re: FUJI X-T2, Terrible RAW Files - help needed

Thanks - I've done that, even watched a few instructional videos on the Tube, started from scratch, cleared my mind etc.... but to no avail. I've assumed it must be user error on my part, but I can't see where...

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 24,112
Re: FUJI X-T2, Terrible RAW Files - help needed

We cant help you wothout seeing some examples?  Nor have you given us any data as to low or high iso.

 The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 10D Fujifilm GFX 50R +16 more
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,151
Re: FUJI X-T2, Terrible RAW Files - help needed
5

mattbrx wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

mattbrx wrote:

Hi, new entrant to the world of Fuji here - making the switch from FF Canons. Picked up my X-T2 on Friday, been shooting RAW + jpeg over the weekend in preparation for a wedding next weekend, and I'm having terrible RAW file issues. The camera is beautiful to use, the jpeg's SOOC are really good too - but when i import the RAW files into LR, they are almost unusable - I get weird markings particularly on faces that looks as if an odd amount of sharpening and NR has been applied - they look terrible/ any idea what this is/how i rectify it?

Many thanks

Please post some full res examples. I've been using LR with the X-T2 since it was released and have had no such issues. It also might help to know which version of LR you're using.

Hi Jerry - thanks:

I know the image isn't quite in focus and I'm assuming that's either a separate lens issue, or user error - but the bit that's driving me nuts is the swirls and over processed look around the eyes

OK, so a nice, properly exposed, in focus shot would be helpful here just to rule out any other stuff that might be causing this.  Post your image at full res as a JPG.  Also, I'd recommend provide a link to the RAW posted on a sharefile site somewhere so others can take a crack at working with it.  That should make it easier for us to figure out what's going on.

I think lots of people want to help, but you need to provide as much data as possible and an image of sufficient quality to ensure that people can hone in quickly on the problem.

Make sense?

 Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
JacquesBalthazar
JacquesBalthazar Contributing Member • Posts: 782
Re: FUJI X-T2, Terrible RAW Files - help needed

When you say RAW+JPEG, is that indeed RAW + FINE?

Also what are your import settings for raw files? In particular those relating to the previews / Smart Previews ? Do you import your FINE jpegs as "separate" images?

The screen capture you attach seems to show a very low resolution preview, similar to what one gets from the very low res jpegs Embedded in raw files by default, and before LR builds its own preview. In such a low res preview, the artifacts you are pointing to would be expected once you magnify at computer monitor screen size.

 JacquesBalthazar's gear list:JacquesBalthazar's gear list
Leica M10 Nikon Z7 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1,4/35 ZM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon 28mm F1.4E +27 more
Starred Regular Member • Posts: 375
Re: FUJI X-T2, Terrible RAW Files - help needed

Shutter speed 1/10.000?

a_c_skinner Veteran Member • Posts: 9,905
Re: FUJI X-T2, Terrible RAW Files - help needed
1

I think that is a default for an image with no EXIF data.  That is a guess.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

 a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
OP mattbrx New Member • Posts: 24
Re: FUJI X-T2, Terrible RAW Files - help needed

The Davinator wrote:

We cant help you wothout seeing some examples? Nor have you given us any data as to low or high iso.

Sorry - good point...

This is a sample of one of the pics I'm talking about. This is a crop (I'll post the uncropped below) as you can see, the ISO and SS etc is on the right. This is an import straight into LR using default settings and its the watercoloring around the face and nose that I'm talking about in particular.

This is the uncropped. X-T2, 16mm lens

Thanks

OP mattbrx New Member • Posts: 24
Re: FUJI X-T2, Terrible RAW Files - help needed

mattbrx wrote:

The Davinator wrote:

We cant help you wothout seeing some examples? Nor have you given us any data as to low or high iso.

Sorry - good point...

This is a sample of one of the pics I'm talking about. This is a crop (I'll post the uncropped below) as you can see, the ISO and SS etc is on the right. This is an import straight into LR using default settings and its the watercoloring around the face and nose that I'm talking about in particular.

This is the uncropped. X-T2, 16mm lens

Thanks

I've sought advice elsewhere too, and following the considered opinion of many I have messed with the sliders and rather than make it better, i have come up with worse:

Smudges around nose and face, lines all over the neck and general lack of definition. Focus point was on the nose but nothing in the whole shot looks particularly crips or in focus either

OP mattbrx New Member • Posts: 24
Re: FUJI X-T2, Terrible RAW Files - help needed

JacquesBalthazar wrote:

When you say RAW+JPEG, is that indeed RAW + FINE?

Also what are your import settings for raw files? In particular those relating to the previews / Smart Previews ? Do you import your FINE jpegs as "separate" images?

The screen capture you attach seems to show a very low resolution preview, similar to what one gets from the very low res jpegs Embedded in raw files by default, and before LR builds its own preview. In such a low res preview, the artifacts you are pointing to would be expected once you magnify at computer monitor screen size.

Hi Jacques

1) Yes sorry, RAW + FINE

2) I shoot RAW to one card, jpeg to a second. I then import them completely independently of each other. Import settings are default LR settings, nothing altered at all, no smart previews built either.

3) I think I understand the point you're getting at with this, but it's not something I've ever experienced before with other camera brands and my workflow hasn't changed at all. In case this is User error (which I'm very well aware this might well be) what would be the best way for me to import the raw RAF files and view them in LR so as to avoid this please? I'm tearing my hair out here a little bit Thanks

OP mattbrx New Member • Posts: 24
Re: FUJI X-T2, Terrible RAW Files - help needed

Thanks Jerry - I'll do that now. i really appreciate your help

Matt

OP mattbrx New Member • Posts: 24
Re: FUJI X-T2, Terrible RAW Files - help needed

Jerry-astro wrote:

mattbrx wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

mattbrx wrote:

Hi, new entrant to the world of Fuji here - making the switch from FF Canons. Picked up my X-T2 on Friday, been shooting RAW + jpeg over the weekend in preparation for a wedding next weekend, and I'm having terrible RAW file issues. The camera is beautiful to use, the jpeg's SOOC are really good too - but when i import the RAW files into LR, they are almost unusable - I get weird markings particularly on faces that looks as if an odd amount of sharpening and NR has been applied - they look terrible/ any idea what this is/how i rectify it?

Many thanks

Please post some full res examples. I've been using LR with the X-T2 since it was released and have had no such issues. It also might help to know which version of LR you're using.

Hi Jerry - thanks:

I know the image isn't quite in focus and I'm assuming that's either a separate lens issue, or user error - but the bit that's driving me nuts is the swirls and over processed look around the eyes

OK, so a nice, properly exposed, in focus shot would be helpful here just to rule out any other stuff that might be causing this. Post your image at full res as a JPG. Also, I'd recommend provide a link to the RAW posted on a sharefile site somewhere so others can take a crack at working with it. That should make it easier for us to figure out what's going on.

I think lots of people want to help, but you need to provide as much data as possible and an image of sufficient quality to ensure that people can hone in quickly on the problem.

Make sense?

Hi,

Here's the full res jpg: ISO 200, 16mm f 2.2   1/125 sec. All settings set to 0 in Fuji X-T2 - no sharpening or anything set in-camera. LR default.Temp 5000 (as shot on AWB), Tint +19. Tone - all 0, Presence - all 0, HSL / Color / B&W all 0. Split toning - all 0, LR default sharpening of 25, radius 1.0, Detail 25. NR 0, Color 25, Detail 50, Smoothness 50. No LR Lens Correction, no transform, Process 2012 (current), Profile Adobe Standard. No other changes. Fine spot focus (sorry I've forgotten the Fuji terminology, but its the smallest focus area - was on his nose and he was stood still) Focus point selected from his position, not central spot then recompose.

Whats the best place to set up a share file site - can I do it on Flickr?

Thanks for all your help and advice

Advent1sam
Advent1sam Veteran Member • Posts: 9,089
Re: FUJI X-T2, Terrible RAW Files - help needed

Post the raw file, lr produces "worms" combined with extreme sharpening like you show here and the smoothing in Colorado nor it's a bad all round combo!

Post the raw I'll show you what you can achieve, and how to get a better result in lr too.

mattbrx wrote:

mattbrx wrote:

The Davinator wrote:

We cant help you wothout seeing some examples? Nor have you given us any data as to low or high iso.

Sorry - good point...

This is a sample of one of the pics I'm talking about. This is a crop (I'll post the uncropped below) as you can see, the ISO and SS etc is on the right. This is an import straight into LR using default settings and its the watercoloring around the face and nose that I'm talking about in particular.

This is the uncropped. X-T2, 16mm lens

Thanks

I've sought advice elsewhere too, and following the considered opinion of many I have messed with the sliders and rather than make it better, i have come up with worse:

Smudges around nose and face, lines all over the neck and general lack of definition. Focus point was on the nose but nothing in the whole shot looks particularly crips or in focus either

OP mattbrx New Member • Posts: 24
Re: FUJI X-T2, Terrible RAW Files - help needed

Ah no, not Flickr. Any tips please?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads