Lens compatibility Lumix G7

Started Sep 15, 2016 | Discussions
Willijrh New Member • Posts: 1
Lens compatibility Lumix G7

Hey

I have not much knowledge about camera specs etc., but have edited films all my life and want to upgrade to a Lumix G7 for my Youtube channel since it looks pretty amazing. I have read that Lumix has a lens mount which fits lenses from a lot of different brands, so my question is; can I use the lenses I already have on a Lumix G7? (Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 I have used for a Nikon d5000 and d3300)

Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PhotoTeach2 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,764
Re: Lens compatibility Lumix G7

I think the answer is yes ... (but w/ adapters).

PhotoTeach2 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,764

You said "lenses", but you only listed one (Sigma w/ Nikon-mount) lens ???

davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 7,191

Check carefully before going down the adapter route.  You may lose some, or even all, of the G7's auto functions.  If you can afford it, I am sure you would be better with native lenses.

You can use either Panasonic or Olympus lenses, but Panasonic puts the stabilisation in the lens, and Olympus in the bodies.  The G7 does not have in body stabilisation, so an Olympus lens would not be stabilised.

I love my G7 - but I do very little video.

Dave

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more
Porky89
Porky89 Contributing Member • Posts: 785

Willijrh wrote:

Hey

I have not much knowledge about camera specs etc., but have edited films all my life and want to upgrade to a Lumix G7 for my Youtube channel since it looks pretty amazing. I have read that Lumix has a lens mount which fits lenses from a lot of different brands, so my question is; can I use the lenses I already have on a Lumix G7? (Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 I have used for a Nikon d5000 and d3300)

The short answer is: yes, with an adapter. Check out this link for further details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk1rwRTCzKU

Porky89's gear list:Porky89's gear list
Ricoh Caplio R6 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P72 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 +1 more
Tim Reidy Productions
Tim Reidy Productions Veteran Member • Posts: 5,033

you will want an IS panasonic lens for video.

you can get other glass but that system is best with image stab.

get adapted glass later.

Tim Reidy Productions's gear list:Tim Reidy Productions's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Panasonic G85 Olympus E-M1 II +3 more
kli
kli Veteran Member • Posts: 4,375

Willijrh wrote:

...I have read that Lumix has a lens mount which fits lenses from a lot of different brands,

No. It doesn't fit. It can be adapted to fit. That's a big big difference. But yes, you can adapt Nikon F-mount lenses for micro four-thirds with adapter rings.

so my question is; can I use the lenses I already have on a Lumix G7? (Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 I have used for a Nikon d5000 and d3300)

Depends on your definition of "use".

Adapting has a lot of drawbacks, so while you can shoot with an adapted lens, it's not like being able to use the lens on its native mount. You lose most electronic communication, so you can't autofocus, the camera can't control the lens's aperture (you need a lens with an aperture ring for that--your Sigma doesn't have one), wide-open metering (not a huge deal on a G7 as it does stop-down metering perfectly well), and you lose lens EXIF information.

Not to mention that micro four-thirds has a 2x crop factor, not a 1.5x crop factor, so your 27-75e lens will become a 36-100e lens (or, in APS-C equivalency terms, your 18-50 now looks like a 24-67). And it'll be pretty honking big on the front of an mft camera.

Ideally, you probably want to stick with micro four-thirds lenses for the G7.

kli's gear list:kli's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +12 more
The Sage Knows Senior Member • Posts: 1,204
F mount to M43 Adapter

Willijrh wrote:

Hey

I have not much knowledge about camera specs etc., but have edited films all my life and want to upgrade to a Lumix G7 for my Youtube channel since it looks pretty amazing. I have read that Lumix has a lens mount which fits lenses from a lot of different brands, so my question is; can I use the lenses I already have on a Lumix G7? (Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 I have used for a Nikon d5000 and d3300)

The highest quality adapter I found in terms of machining and tight fitting tolerances and that also has no glass to degrade the image can be purchased here:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/658892-REG/Voigtlander_BD332A_Micro_4_3_to_Nikon.html

Whether or not you will be happy using it for movies is another matter since there is no soft touch control on the camera to focus and zoom non dedicated lenses. You could try the rubber band method I've seen DSLR shooters use to make sure their lenswork is smooth.

But Leica Panasonic have really nice optically stabilized lenses of their own I think you may prefer for that purpose.

-- hide signature --

Robert

Stejo
Stejo Senior Member • Posts: 1,461

MFT cameras can work with any lens ever made pretty much, especially when it comes to shooting video. All you need is a dirt cheap adapter from ebay for whatever mount your lens originally was made for.

Stejo's gear list:Stejo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic GH5 Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads