5D Mk IV vignetting correction with 3rd party lens causes major intensity aberrations

Started Sep 13, 2016 | Discussions
Adrien S New Member • Posts: 11
5D Mk IV vignetting correction with 3rd party lens causes major intensity aberrations

Hi.

I picked my copy of the 5D Mk IV just this afternoon, and took my first trial shots with a Sigma 50 mm F/1.4 EX DG HSM.

It immediately appeared pictures taken at very wide apertures showed some highly conspicuous concentric dark circles, of varying breadth, frequency and intensity depending on the aperture used.

See for yourself (please ignore the quality and subjects; those were purely trial shots):

F/1.4

F/1.6 - Notice how the centre is also darkened.

For what it's worth, these images are CC0.

Above F/2, this effect is hardly noticeable anymore.

After some fiddling, I found that disabling the "Peripheral illum corr" setting - so basically vignetting correction, I guess - in the Lens Corrections menu solved the issue.

I tested it with a Canon 100 mm macro F/2.8 L IS USM, and no similar errors appeared, whether on the live view or in the displayed images. In the above-mentioned menu, the 100 mm's full name is displayed, while the Sigma is only detected as "50 mm". I therefore suppose that this problem is caused by lacking or erroneous correction data for the lens at hand, but I haven't had the opportunity to carry out more tests or compare with more lenses, so this conclusion remains to be taken with a massive grain of salt.

Logically enough, the RAW images appear exempt of the aberrations. They only appear on the live view, the previews and the JPEGs.

Has anyone else noticed similar issues? I had never heard of anything similar, whether from this camera or previous ones, yet the fact that "Peripheral illum corr" is enabled by default should make this an issue for many users, provided several popular lenses are affected.

Apart from this minor issue, I am very impressed with the Mark IV so far, especially with the high ISO and AF performance.

Adrien S's gear list:Adrien S's gear list
Nikon D3X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
offcamber Regular Member • Posts: 326
Re: 5D Mk IV vignetting correction with 3rd party lens causes major intensity aberrations

I've noticed the same thing with my Sigma 50F1.4. First time I saw it was in the preview display and it looked like some sort of view reference. I don't think I ever saw it in post processing though, although maybe I didn't pull those images.

offcamber's gear list:offcamber's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +9 more
Bruce sawle Regular Member • Posts: 388
Re: 5D Mk IV vignetting correction with 3rd party lens causes major intensity aberrations

here is how to fix the issue.

• Navigate to red menu 1 and locate Lens abberation correction
  • Turn Peripheral illum corr to OFF
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 6,323

Its a documented problem. Just do it in PS.

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
OP Adrien S New Member • Posts: 11

gavin wrote:

Its a documented problem.

Interesting, can you point to where it is documented?

Just do it in PS.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting since like I said, all I need to do is disable the function. Even if I didn't, the RAWs are fine, so there's nothing to do, really.

Adrien S's gear list:Adrien S's gear list
Nikon D3X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +2 more
MadManAce Regular Member • Posts: 236

Adrien S wrote:

gavin wrote:

http://www.canonrumors.com/how-to-fix-weird-visual-behaviour-with-your-eos-5d-mark-iv-sigma-lenses/

DtEW Senior Member • Posts: 2,752

At some point somebody is going to find the right 3rd-party lens to reproduce the Looney Tunes intertitle.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Samyang 24mm F1.4 Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +17 more
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 6,323

Sorry I was just giving a quick reply. It has been mentioned here and also on canonrumor forum. I think there is a bulletin about it somewhere. I don't use 3rd party lens so I am not sure exactly where

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
David Burren Regular Member • Posts: 391

It first occurred with the 1DX Mk II: if you're searching for articles about it look for that as well as the 5D Mk IV.

Hokie Jack Regular Member • Posts: 280

Adrien S wrote:

gavin wrote:

How about the manual?

The 7D2 manual says to set the corrections to disabled for non-Canon lenses.  Other bodies are similar.

It's a lens problem.  For example, my Tamron 90mm reports itself to the camera as a 28-70mm lens, shooting at 90mm.    This would send the correction algorithms/lookup tables off to la-la land.   Someone once posted images from it on a 70D(?) where the distortion correction turned each image into a complete swirl.

-- hide signature --

HJ

Hokie Jack's gear list:Hokie Jack's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Nikon Coolpix 4500 Canon EOS 20D +5 more
mark3141 New Member • Posts: 2

Pairing the 1dx mark 2 with the Sigma 1.4 35mm art lens causes this problem too

DtEW Senior Member • Posts: 2,752

MadManAce wrote:

Adrien S wrote:

gavin wrote:

http://www.canonrumors.com/how-to-fix-weird-visual-behaviour-with-your-eos-5d-mark-iv-sigma-lenses/

I think that as 3rd-party lenses start to seriously challenge the supremacy of OEM lenses... it becomes more necessary for OEMs to start adding-in more features (or inflections on existing features) that serendipitously (for the OEMs) have the effect of breaking 3rd-party reverse-engineered protocols.

Of course, it becomes essential for 3rd parties to counteract this by introducing easier ways of patching said reverse-engineered protocols, hence the USB lens docks.

That said, I'm surprised neither Sigma nor Tamron has figured this one out yet.  My Tamron SP 45mm does a similar thing on my girlfriend's 5DMkIV, and I keep its firmware as current as possible.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Samyang 24mm F1.4 Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +17 more
Morvegil
Morvegil Contributing Member • Posts: 686

A quick google search points to this obvious issue and fix.

Morvegil's gear list:Morvegil's gear list
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +1 more
Lemming51
Lemming51 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,060

DtEW wrote:

MadManAce wrote:

Adrien S wrote:

gavin wrote:

I think that as 3rd-party lenses start to seriously challenge the supremacy of OEM lenses... it becomes more necessary for OEMs to start adding-in more features (or inflections on existing features) that serendipitously (for the OEMs) have the effect of breaking 3rd-party reverse-engineered protocols.

Of course, it becomes essential for 3rd parties to counteract this by introducing easier ways of patching said reverse-engineered protocols, hence the USB lens docks.

That said, I'm surprised neither Sigma nor Tamron has figured this one out yet. My Tamron SP 45mm does a similar thing on my girlfriend's 5DMkIV, and I keep its firmware as current as possible.

The fix is not something Sigma et al. can correct with in-lens firmware. Just as Canon has done for its lenses, they would need to create a packet of instructions specific to the characteristics of each of their lens designs for the lens correction routines to apply, and somehow load it to the camera and DPP.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,521

DtEW wrote:

MadManAce wrote:

Adrien S wrote:

gavin wrote:

It's the lenses fault. they use the lens code that matches another canon lens, the camera body takes that. looks at the lens code and applies the correction it thinks it should be.

it's not breaking the lens protocol, this has been there forever now.

Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 1,413

Lemming51 wrote:

DtEW wrote:

MadManAce wrote:

Adrien S wrote:

gavin wrote:

That said, I'm surprised neither Sigma nor Tamron has figured this one out yet. My Tamron SP 45mm does a similar thing on my girlfriend's 5DMkIV, and I keep its firmware as current as possible.

The fix is not something Sigma et al. can correct with in-lens firmware. Just as Canon has done for its lenses, they would need to create a packet of instructions specific to the characteristics of each of their lens designs for the lens correction routines to apply, and somehow load it to the camera and DPP.

Why on earth would Canon spend time and energy reverse-engineering a reverse-engineered unlicensed competitor to their own lens to correct its aberrations in-camera or through DPP?

DXO Optics have profiles for a number of third-party lenses on Canon cameras - I just wish they had EOS-M profiles for EF and EF-s lenses the way DPP has.

Lemming51
Lemming51 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,060

Sittatunga wrote:

Lemming51 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Why on earth would Canon spend time and energy reverse-engineering a reverse-engineered unlicensed competitor to their own lens to correct its aberrations in-camera or through DPP?.

Yeah, by "they would need..." I meant Sigma et al.  Obviosly Canon's not going to develop lens corrections for other makers' lenses.

-- hide signature --

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,067

Ha thanks for this thread. Just tried the sigma 35 1.4 art on my newly acquired 5d mark iv and was alarmed when I saw these concentric rings.

-- hide signature --

sungparkphotography.com

Noogy
Noogy Senior Member • Posts: 2,627

Bruce sawle wrote:

here is how to fix the issue.

• Navigate to red menu 1 and locate Lens abberation correction
  • Turn Peripheral illum corr to OFF

Agree this is the fix. I did not run into this problem using my 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art lens. I ran into it using the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 VC. Disabling lens correction features fixes the issue. However, you need to remember to enable these features again when using a Canon lens.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
http://joshcruz.zenfolio.com/

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +12 more
michele2011 New Member • Posts: 6

I have found this same problem with my 5DIV using Sigma 50-500mm and Tamron 15-30mm. I have turned off the Peripheral illum corr, but it still occurs. I am very frustrated and disappointed over it. I wish I could figure out a way to correct it, but apparently, there isn't.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads