Capture One/Lightroom 5DIV Raw - Temp Workaround

Started Sep 12, 2016 | Discussions
AronQZ Forum Member • Posts: 75
Capture One/Lightroom 5DIV Raw - Temp Workaround

For what it is worth... if you change the Exif data field of a 5D IV raw file to "Canon EOS 5DS" it will allow you to play with it in Capture One (not sure what issues in the data there might be but you can at least play with it as opposed to DPP). Does not work for PS or Lightroom though.

In ExifTool GUI that would be:

-Model="Canon EOS 5DS"

You can then use Capture One to save the file out as a DNG to work with it in Lightroom.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP AronQZ Forum Member • Posts: 75
Re: Capture One/Lightroom 5DIV Raw - Temp Workaround

Original Raw->DNG Export from Lightroom

DPP shadow max push + highlight max pull + exposure +2 + noise reduction

LR shadow max push + highlight 3/4 pull + exposure +2 + noise reduction

Lightroom always allows a bigger push / pull vs DPP (not that you should). Anyway main point here is the Exif->CO->DNG->Lightroom trick is close enough in rendition to have a 'play' for now if you desperately want to use Lightroom.

Note you can also batch processes a folder too:

- Select all RAW in ExifTool GUI and execute the exiftool command for model name change.

- Select all in Capture One and export as DNG

Happy Lightroooming

XeroJay
XeroJay Senior Member • Posts: 1,836

Thank you!!!

Going to try this today

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Sony a7 III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +4 more

In case it helps anyone here are the links and some tips to quick-start for those interested.

Exiftool GUI 5.16

http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/~bogdan/exiftoolgui516.zip

1. Unzip to anywhere (desktop for example)

Exiftool 10

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/exiftool-10.25.zip

1. Unzip and copy the single exiftool(-k).exe file into the exiftool GUI folder with the other files in there already.

2. I had to rename the "exiftool(-k).exe" file to just "exiftool.exe"

3. Run exiftoolGUI.exe select 1 or more raws and edit model number (2 ways... bottom right of screen edit a tag next to button labled large or bottom middle screeen click exiftool direct and enter the model command in the first post above.

Note: sometime on opening exiftool gui is gave some odd errors randomly. just close it and delete the .ini file and start it again and it seems to fix it.

Capture One 30 Day Trial

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Download.aspx

Grrr as clunky and slow to use as DPP. Export all as variant to DNG.

Tom-C Senior Member • Posts: 1,241

Thanks for finding this. I just tried it and it works great.

As I've been using Capture One for many years, I am happy to have my preferred tool working with my new 5Div. I can immediately get better results from Capture One that I haven't been able to duplicate with dpp.

Tom-C's gear list:Tom-C's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
wgravesphoto
wgravesphoto Forum Member • Posts: 53

Is the quality / accuracy of this method good enough to use for paid work?

-- hide signature --

William Graves
www.wgravesphoto.com

Tom-C Senior Member • Posts: 1,241

wgravesphoto wrote:

I use Capture One and I don't see any image quality issues at all.  I was able to get a better result for a backlit photo using this method with Capture One than I could with dpp. Admittedly I have years of experience with Capture One and days of experience with dpp.

Tom-C's gear list:Tom-C's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
wgravesphoto
wgravesphoto Forum Member • Posts: 53

Tom-C wrote:

wgravesphoto wrote:

I use Capture One and I don't see any image quality issues at all. I was able to get a better result for a backlit photo using this method with Capture One than I could with dpp. Admittedly I have years of experience with Capture One and days of experience with dpp.

I'm mostly interested in the ability to get to a DNG files I can work off in Lightroom.  That's what I'm used to, and DPP is horrible.

-- hide signature --

William Graves
www.wgravesphoto.com

XeroJay
XeroJay Senior Member • Posts: 1,836

wgravesphoto wrote:

The LR camera profile is way off... the tint needs major green compensation, and the 5DS LR profile crushed the blacks as it is.

I'm creating a new profile with colorchecker as I type this. I'll link to it asap.

UPDATE: ColorChecker software is refusing to create the profile for me. I've tried both the plugin and the standalone. Looks Like we'll have to wait for Adobe

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Sony a7 III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +4 more

Yes LR profile needs a lot of -green compensation and suspect in the final proper LR profile this dial is zeroed out to match the camera.

In quick comparisons between DPP - CO - LR I do not see the crushed blacks by eyeball but do not doubt it 'might' be an difference. In lightroom I sometimes set to 2010 profile and zero all sliders out including curve and then change it back to 2012 profile (or in this case embedded). It gets rid of LR's default changes to the raw preview and starts with a much flatter raw.

Is it good enough for paid work... Ummm no probably we do not have a 'Adobe' certified profile whatever that means... their profile for 1DX was not that good anyway. Other than that not sure what better data might be had in a final profile. Consider it as *processed with a alpha version of ACR End of the day though process an image to your own personal taste in DPP or OOC jpg and then do the same in LR. If the end result is good for you is all that matters. It's a temporary method to get a file into lightroom so as mentioned custom profiles among other things may not work yet.

treid2016 New Member • Posts: 1

AronQZ wrote:

In case it helps anyone here are the links and some tips to quick-start for those interested.

Exiftool GUI 5.16

http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/~bogdan/exiftoolgui516.zip

1. Unzip to anywhere (desktop for example)

Exiftool 10

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/exiftool-10.25.zip

1. Unzip and copy the single exiftool(-k).exe file into the exiftool GUI folder with the other files in there already.

2. I had to rename the "exiftool(-k).exe" file to just "exiftool.exe"

3. Run exiftoolGUI.exe select 1 or more raws and edit model number (2 ways... bottom right of screen edit a tag next to button labled large or bottom middle screeen click exiftool direct and enter the model command in the first post above.

Note: sometime on opening exiftool gui is gave some odd errors randomly. just close it and delete the .ini file and start it again and it seems to fix it.

Capture One 30 Day Trial

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Download.aspx

Grrr as clunky and slow to use as DPP. Export all as variant to DNG.

Thanks for this information. I made a massive mistake by switching on the dual pixel raw by accident and would like to somehow get the .dng folders into LR.

I followed your steps but when trying to launch the EXIFtoolGUI it told me only windows was supported (I use mac). Is there a compatible mac ones and how would I go about it then?

I must state I am useless with all thinks techi!

Many thanks in advance

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads