The Great War Boys (a fair few sdQ images).

Started Sep 11, 2016 | Discussions
Meuh
Meuh Veteran Member • Posts: 3,161
The Great War Boys (a fair few sdQ images).

I was over at Dunfermline yesterday with the kids for a festival they where having and my friends who do WW1 reenactments where there putting on a show.
These are some snapshots from the sdQ, I did shot in raw but for quickness I just pulled out the JPG files and did a quick edit on them (nothing major, just pushed shadows a but in some for example.)
There are a mixture of shots mostly (possibly all I posted) with the 50-100 f1.8 ART so hopefully it will give people a good idea of what the sdQ is like shooting people in natural light

And as a bonus, my wife

Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Gate bois Senior Member • Posts: 1,530
Re: The Great War Boys (a fair few sdQ images).

Very nice job.
The framing, depth of field, are very well managed.
The rendering is very beautiful.

Aaro
Aaro Senior Member • Posts: 2,825

Hi

Fantastic set. Really liked all.

Best

Aaro

-- hide signature --

'Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication'.
www.lumisoft.fi/gallery
http://dp2quattro.blogspot.fi/

Aaro's gear list:Aaro's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma dp0 Quattro Sigma SD9 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 +1 more
Meuh
OP Meuh Veteran Member • Posts: 3,161

Gate bois wrote:

Very nice job.
The framing, depth of field, are very well managed.
The rendering is very beautiful.

Thank you, some are slightly cropped but mostly I was doing my best to frame them without normal people or bouncy castles when I could to try keep them outside of our timezone but ofc I couldn't do that during the event/show they did :).

Meuh

Aaro wrote:

Hi

Fantastic set. Really liked all.

Best

Aaro

Thank you.

mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,313

Fantastic! Beautiful rendering ! Details show very nice also. Can you share hi res images / raw files?

Thank you for posting!

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
Meuh

mujana wrote:

Fantastic! Beautiful rendering ! Details show very nice also. Can you share hi res images / raw files?

Thank you for posting!

I'm out atm helping a friend with an event but if you pick a few images I'll get a link to the raws later.

marcodadofoto
marcodadofoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,910

Lovely,  and great DOF, ... there s one last soldier who may keep You in line 😀😀

mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,313

Meuh wrote:

mujana wrote:

Thank you for posting!

I'm out atm helping a friend with an event but if you pick a few images I'll get a link to the raws later.

Numbers 4,8,11 and 13?

thank you!!

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 18,556

Splendid set, Meuh. Clearly, you have a life.

Not sure about the lady with an "ootside, Jimmy" look on her face . . .

-- hide signature --

"What we've got hyah is Failyah to Communicate": 'Cool Hand Luke' 1967.
Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sigma SD9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +14 more
iko2016 Forum Member • Posts: 64

Great set, i got the fill that it was taken with a film camera not digital (Positively) 
Is the combo of sdq+50-100 haevy ? and what asa were you using?

thanks for sharing

iko2016's gear list:iko2016's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1
Dabbler
Dabbler Senior Member • Posts: 2,038

Reminds me of Hogan's Heroes! "Sgt. Schultz" is priceless! Do you suppose processing the RAW would produce better sharpness/detail? Wonderful color tones here but I find them a little soft and lacking the detail I would hope for from a Foveon.

-- hide signature --

Michael

Dabbler's gear list:Dabbler's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D800 Sony a6000 Sony a7S Sony a7 II +16 more
Meuh

iko2016 wrote:

Great set, i got the fill that it was taken with a film camera not digital (Positively)
Is the combo of sdq+50-100 haevy ? and what asa were you using?

thanks for sharing

The 50-100 f1 8 is like using a 70-200 f2.8 in size and weight to give you a reference point.

I used iso100 as I was outdoors for most of the day and I think they are all iso 100, exif data should be intact.

Glad you like the images.

Geitekaasje Regular Member • Posts: 120

The German with the moustache, the guy leaning against the tree and the last two pictures are really nice! The moment is well captured. The colours are fantastic and I am beginning to enjoy the sight of this camera!

cant wait.

but tell me, please, what sort of editing did you do?

-- hide signature --

Im Anfang gab es nur das Wort

Meuh

Geitekaasje wrote:

The German with the moustache, the guy leaning against the tree and the last two pictures are really nice! The moment is well captured. The colours are fantastic and I am beginning to enjoy the sight of this camera!

cant wait.

but tell me, please, what sort of editing did you do?

Thank you

I shot raw but extracted the raw files amd did very little to them except possibly crop a little and many push the shadows a little.

The one of my wife I did edit a bit more though.

jacketpotato Senior Member • Posts: 2,244
bubbles Re: The Great War Boys (a fair few sdQ images).

Meuh wrote:

I was over at Dunfermline yesterday with the kids for a festival they where having and my friends who do WW1 reenactments where there putting on a show.And as a bonus, my wife

"Bubbles" on machinegun look promising. I wonder how 50-100 F1.8 fares dew drops, rain droplets on foilage hmmmm will it render Trioplan like bubble bokeh.

Meuh
Re: bubbles Re: The Great War Boys (a fair few sdQ images).

Not sure if this helps any :), note I did use some cheap plastic ND gel over my lens here to cut down the ambient light which gave me that rainbow flair.

jacketpotato wrote:

Meuh wrote:

I was over at Dunfermline yesterday with the kids for a festival they where having and my friends who do WW1 reenactments where there putting on a show.And as a bonus, my wife

"Bubbles" on machinegun look promising. I wonder how 50-100 F1.8 fares dew drops, rain droplets on foilage hmmmm will it render Trioplan like bubble bokeh.

Meuh

mujana wrote:

Meuh wrote:

mujana wrote:

Thank you for posting!

Numbers 4,8,11 and 13?

thank you!!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ovyjv5o9fctaji5/AABvi8k7PGDtuaeI9x6lY9YBa?dl=0
The raw files

jacketpotato Senior Member • Posts: 2,244

Meuh wrote:

Not sure if this helps any :), note I did use some cheap plastic ND gel over my lens here to cut down the ambient light which gave me that rainbow flair.

jacketpotato wrote:

Meuh wrote:

Would you test something. Indoor plants, foliage, spray lots of water on them, thereafter Art at 100 F1.8/2.8 to recreate Trioplan 100/2.8 like "bubble" bokeh.

Meuh

jacketpotato wrote:

Meuh wrote:

jacketpotato wrote:

Meuh wrote:

Would you test something. Indoor plants, foliage, spray lots of water on them, thereafter Art at 100 F1.8/2.8 to recreate Trioplan 100/2.8 like "bubble" bokeh.

Sure I can try that tomorrow, If  you really want crazy from the lens though then 100mm f1.8 on the a7II is pretty sweet using the full sensor although it does cat's eye.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads