TriElmar 28 > 35> 50 + > 75

Started Sep 10, 2016 | Discussions
Dr. Ulrich Rohde Senior Member • Posts: 2,332
TriElmar 28 > 35> 50 + > 75

Most zoom lenses tend to cover 28 to 75 mm, The SL Vario somehow got 24 to 90 and my still all time favorite is the R 28 >90 lens, with now about $ 6000 on e-bay, it got a little pricey . So here is a test of an experimental lens , I did not find any internal reflections and a good contrast. At this time of the day the sun is brutal and I wanted to see how this Vario lens would do , and yes, it did  very well

This lens does not have a 6 bit coating the camera recognizes, and it a very fine peace of perfected design. We had 90 + deg, so a pool is always a good destination

Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list:Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list
Leica X Vario Leica Q Canon EOS-1D Mark III Leica M8 Leica M9 +13 more
Irakly Shanidze
Irakly Shanidze Veteran Member • Posts: 6,519
Re: TriElmar 28 > 35> 50 + > 75

Excellent example of an excellent lens performing on a top level. I truly wish the 24-90 SL were at least a half of that!

-- hide signature --

Irakly Shanidze
www.shanidze.com/en
www.artphotoacademy.com

Irakly Shanidze's gear list:Irakly Shanidze's gear list
Leica M9 Leica S2 Leica SL (Typ 601) Leica M10 Panasonic S1 +17 more
Fazal Majid
Fazal Majid Senior Member • Posts: 2,072

Is it a continuously variable zoom lens or like the Tri-Elmar a lens with discrete focal lengths?

-- hide signature --

Fazal Majid (www.majid.info)

Fazal Majid's gear list:Fazal Majid's gear list
Ricoh GR III Leica M10 Nikon Z7 Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +31 more
OP Dr. Ulrich Rohde Senior Member • Posts: 2,332

This test lens is continuous like a zoom.

OP Dr. Ulrich Rohde Senior Member • Posts: 2,332
Re: TriElmar 28 > 35> 50 + > 75 with the SL.

Many of us use either R or M lenses on the SL. Most have great success. R lenses on the T has been less interesting but T lenses on the SL works quite well, even if only a smaller part of the sensor is now used .

I was asked yesterday to put the M Vario on the SL . This experimental lens behaves like a zoom and I find it extremely well designed. The Leica group with Peter Karbe in command has lately produced really stunning results. The full set of T (TL) lenses is a good prove and the new SL 50mm/1.4 is also clinically sharp. Simply amazing . These AF lenses are getting fairly large and Zeiss lenses (not AF) too.

First are the 28 mm to 75 mm Leica M Vario, f =4, the M 240  camera does not know the lens

Next   are in sequence of 28mm-35mm-50mm and 75mm the SL pool pictures. A figure of merit is always the clarity and resolution of the door knob . With a very hot day again  today, the water is more relevant ...

The following 4 pictures are taken with the Vario Elmarit 24 >90mm for the SL, again in

28 >35 > 50 > 75 (77) mm settings in AF mode and P while the previous  M pictures were in A ( aperture mode), f=4

The color and the transmission (loss) for the lens is different, the exposure measurements seems to make the picture brighter.

I also thing the focal length must have a different meanings as  for  the same settings  part of the picture looks slightly  different

Irakly Shanidze
Irakly Shanidze Veteran Member • Posts: 6,519
Re: TriElmar 28 > 35> 50 + > 75 with the SL.

Ulrich, it is hard to see the difference at this picture size. could you post 100% crops? Also, it would be very interesting to see how this lens behaves against the light , where 24-90 fails.

-- hide signature --

Irakly Shanidze
www.shanidze.com/en
www.artphotoacademy.com

Irakly Shanidze's gear list:Irakly Shanidze's gear list
Leica M9 Leica S2 Leica SL (Typ 601) Leica M10 Panasonic S1 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads