7D2 file naming issue "_" as first character

Started Aug 27, 2016 | Discussions
Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 6,925
7D2 file naming issue "_" as first character

A couple of times now my 7D2 has replaced the first character of the filename with an underscore character. It does this for a couple of shots and then reverts to my specified custom naming. I don't notice anything until later when I'm copying files from the memory card

I am shooting raw only. I read that if Adobe color space is selected it will do this for every image file, but  I have and always have had the camera set for sRGB.

And no, I am not changing anything other than exposure settings when this happens, am not even turning off the camera. Other shots before and after have the correct file names.

After a weekend shooting, with several hundred images 3 in a sequence had this problem.

Is this a known bug with the camera, a problem with the memory card, or possibly my card reader ?

Any ideas/help will be appreciated.

Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +12 more
MOD Dale Buhanan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,276
Re: 7D2 file naming issue "_" as first character

Normally when an underscore is the first character in a Canon file name it means that the Camera is set to adobe RGB  instead of sRGB.  If you were for sure shooting RAW then I have no idea.  I have never seen that.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale
Moderator Canon Powershot and 7D/XXD forums

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 +35 more
MisterBG Veteran Member • Posts: 6,272

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Normally when an underscore is the first character in a Canon file name it means that the Camera is set to adobe RGB instead of sRGB. If you were for sure shooting RAW then I have no idea. I have never seen that.

That's exactly what I understand.
If you display the file details, are they recorded ar adobe or srgb?
It sounds like you have an intermittent fault?

Hokie Jack Regular Member • Posts: 268

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Normally when an underscore is the first character in a Canon file name it means that the Camera is set to adobe RGB instead of sRGB. If you were for sure shooting RAW then I have no idea. I have never seen that.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale
Moderator Canon Powershot and 7D/XXD forums

Even the raw files get the _ filename when set to adobe.

-- hide signature --

HJ

Hokie Jack's gear list:Hokie Jack's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Nikon Coolpix 4500 Canon EOS 20D +5 more
Hokie Jack Regular Member • Posts: 268

Messier Object wrote:

A couple of times now my 7D2 has replaced the first character of the filename with an underscore character. It does this for a couple of shots and then reverts to my specified custom naming. I don't notice anything until later when I'm copying files from the memory card

I am shooting raw only. I read that if Adobe color space is selected it will do this for every image file, but I have and always have had the camera set for sRGB.

And no, I am not changing anything other than exposure settings when this happens, am not even turning off the camera. Other shots before and after have the correct file names.

After a weekend shooting, with several hundred images 3 in a sequence had this problem.

Is this a known bug with the camera, a problem with the memory card, or possibly my card reader ?

Peter

Are you sure that all of your C1/C2/C3 modes are set to sRGB?   Take an image in each mode and check.

-- hide signature --

HJ

Hokie Jack's gear list:Hokie Jack's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Nikon Coolpix 4500 Canon EOS 20D +5 more
MisterBG Veteran Member • Posts: 6,272

Hokie Jack wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

A couple of times now my 7D2 has replaced the first character of the filename with an underscore character. It does this for a couple of shots and then reverts to my specified custom naming. I don't notice anything until later when I'm copying files from the memory card

I am shooting raw only. I read that if Adobe color space is selected it will do this for every image file, but I have and always have had the camera set for sRGB.

Peter

Are you sure that all of your C1/C2/C3 modes are set to sRGB? Take an image in each mode and check.

The OP says he is only altering exposure during the shooting sequence, which I would take to mean not altering the camera significantly or going to custom menu settings.
I'm sure that If I were going to custom settings for two or three frames in the middle of a shoot then I'd remember.

If it were me, I'd conduct some forensic analysis of the actual files and see if any further information can be gleaned from the EXIF data.

OP Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 6,925
* UPDATE *

The 'offending' images were indeed set for Adobe Color space, which is a real worry.

I checked each of the Shooting Modes; Tv, A, M, B, C1, C2 and C3 and all were set to SRGB except Bulb Mode. How/why Bulb was in Adobe I don't know. To the best of my knowledge I have never even used Bulb with my 7D2. The only time I ever use Bulb is with my 5D3 shooting lightning at night.

As for me having changed from sRGB to Adobe for 2 consecutive shots and then changing it back - forget it. It never happened. I was not even sure where to find the setting in the Menu until I went chasing this problem yesterday.

As for the Custom modes, I use C1 for Static Birds, C2 for BIF, and C3 for Static Birds with back-button focus. All are set for M-mode. Out on a shoot I'm often switching between these 3 and never go into the menus.

Looking at the time-line of 2 offending images, frames 0366 and 0367 were Adobe and both M-mode

The frame prior, 0365, was the last of a couple hundred taken on August 7th, all sRGB.

Frames 0366 and 0367 were the first two taken 9 days later on August 16th, recorded as Adobe. The camera was not used for the intervening 9 days - significant ?

Frame 0368 was taken just 3 minutes later but after a lens change, and recorded as sRGB. Power OFF + lens change significant ?

So the sequence of events was . . .

> working as expected with several hundred frames over a few days - all sRGB in various shooting Modes
> 9 days switched OFF
> batteries swapped with a pair freshly charged (I use the grip),
with a brief power ON to confirm battery charge levels, and then OFF again
> switched on in the field a few hours later, and the next 2 frames record as Adobe
> switch OFF for lens swap (fit the 1.4x III to the 300mm f/2.8 II)
> subsequent frames all record as sRGB

Unfortunately I can see no way to view the full file name by reading the image and info in-camera. The Info displayed is the [card] Vol - frame, eg [2] 101-0366

I won't be using the camera again until next weekend. I'll try to repeat the event sequence and see if it happens again.

Thanks to all who responded

Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +12 more
harcosparky New Member • Posts: 1
Re: * UPDATE *

Messier Object wrote:

The 'offending' images were indeed set for Adobe Color space, which is a real worry.

I checked each of the Shooting Modes; Tv, A, M, B, C1, C2 and C3 and all were set to SRGB except Bulb Mode. How/why Bulb was in Adobe I don't know. To the best of my knowledge I have never even used Bulb with my 7D2. The only time I ever use Bulb is with my 5D3 shooting lightning at night.

As for me having changed from sRGB to Adobe for 2 consecutive shots and then changing it back - forget it. It never happened. I was not even sure where to find the setting in the Menu until I went chasing this problem yesterday.

As for the Custom modes, I use C1 for Static Birds, C2 for BIF, and C3 for Static Birds with back-button focus. All are set for M-mode. Out on a shoot I'm often switching between these 3 and never go into the menus.

Looking at the time-line of 2 offending images, frames 0366 and 0367 were Adobe and both M-mode

The frame prior, 0365, was the last of a couple hundred taken on August 7th, all sRGB.

Frames 0366 and 0367 were the first two taken 9 days later on August 16th, recorded as Adobe. The camera was not used for the intervening 9 days - significant ?

Frame 0368 was taken just 3 minutes later but after a lens change, and recorded as sRGB. Power OFF + lens change significant ?

So the sequence of events was . . .

> working as expected with several hundred frames over a few days - all sRGB in various shooting Modes
> 9 days switched OFF
> batteries swapped with a pair freshly charged (I use the grip),
with a brief power ON to confirm battery charge levels, and then OFF again
> switched on in the field a few hours later, and the next 2 frames record as Adobe
> switch OFF for lens swap (fit the 1.4x III to the 300mm f/2.8 II)
> subsequent frames all record as sRGB

Unfortunately I can see no way to view the full file name by reading the image and info in-camera. The Info displayed is the [card] Vol - frame, eg [2] 101-0366

I won't be using the camera again until next weekend. I'll try to repeat the event sequence and see if it happens again.

Thanks to all who responded

Peter

Really not wanting to wake up an old thread or beat a dead horse but I was referred to this thread from another site ......

Was there any reasonable explanation for this behavior.

I recently was given a brand new EOS 7D Mk II and have experienced this.

I had the camera in AbobeRGB during the time this occurred. I have since put it back to sRGB.

I shoot only in RAW.

There are two images I shot back to back, the only difference between the two shots that I can recall is for one I manually engaged the builtin flash.

Here is the INFO from both of those images .......

[img]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/906/42056664872_42c70878f8_b.jpg[/img]

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads