Do you or would you use an X100/X100S/X100T as your only camera?

Started Aug 22, 2016 | Questions
ShutterNot
ShutterNot Veteran Member • Posts: 3,705
Re: Do you or would you use an X100/X100S/X100T as your only camera?

The best pictures I have were taken with the X100 as well as my NIKON Coolpix A. I still use those two cameras. My problem is  I'm also a "gadget guy" and love gadgets too much to just settle on one camera. I can't make a case for NOT doing photography with just an X100.

-- hide signature --

" LIFE is what happens while you're busy making other plans "
.... John Lennon
Lenses ? - I do have a few - and a few, I don't know I have, as well

ShutterNot's gear list:ShutterNot's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
bs1946
OP bs1946 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,951
Re: Got the X100T, So for now...

Robmas4229 wrote:

bs1946 wrote:

First, I wanted to thank everyone for their thoughtful feedback and opinions.

I just bought a used X100T from Ebay and should receive it by the end of next week, maybe sooner. So for now, I will put my X-E2 kit away until I'M sure the X100T is all I need or want for my photography.

I am considering selling my 14mm 2.8 and 23mm 1.4 while keeping the X-E2 and Rokinon 21mm f1.4 on the shelf or I may keep all three lenses for now. Either way, it is my intention to only use the X100T until I make a final decision.

So Bill, now that it's been a couple of months that you've been focusing on your new (2U) X100T as a possible "only" camera, what are your thoughts?

Due to bad weather plus other issues and commitments, I haven't used the X100T as much as I would have liked but, when I have, I found nothing limiting about it. So far, I haven't found anything that I wanted to shoot and could not because of the fixed lens. I have a Think Tank DSLR 2 battery pouch that I keep my two spare NP-95 batteries in and that goes in my pocket when I leave the house with the X100T at my side. I did the same thing with the X-E2, only bringing the full kit to planned events or trips, and I had the uncanny knack of often picking the wrong lens for the day. With the X100T, I don't have that concern; just grab it and go.

So far, the X-E2 has remained in it's bag and I have not missed it. I did make one small change in that I sold the Rokinon 21mm f1.4 and kept the 14mm f2.8 and 23mm f1.4 instead.

-- hide signature --

Bill S.
billschaffel.500px.com
flickr.com/photos/bs1946/
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

bs1946's gear list:bs1946's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica M9 Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM Carl Zeiss C Biogon T* 2,8/35 ZM Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM +1 more
bs1946
OP bs1946 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,951

ShutterNot wrote:

The best pictures I have were taken with the X100 as well as my NIKON Coolpix A. I still use those two cameras. My problem is I'm also a "gadget guy" and love gadgets too much to just settle on one camera. I can't make a case for NOT doing photography with just an X100.

I have the same problem. The good news is that the engineer in me has to research and evaluate everything to death before I make a final decision and that has slowed down my quest for new toys. But, in less than four years since I switched from film to digital, I have owned nine different cameras and 28 different lenses plus, protection filters for most of the lenses, batteries, chargers, other filters, cables, two new camera bags and a backpack, and a new tripod. I already have a short list of extras for the X100T but am trying to hold off until Fuji at least unveils the X100F so I know what can be reused and what cannot.

-- hide signature --

Bill S.
billschaffel.500px.com
flickr.com/photos/bs1946/
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

bs1946's gear list:bs1946's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica M9 Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM Carl Zeiss C Biogon T* 2,8/35 ZM Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM +1 more
ShutterNot
ShutterNot Veteran Member • Posts: 3,705

bs1946 wrote:

ShutterNot wrote:

The best pictures I have were taken with the X100 as well as my NIKON Coolpix A. I still use those two cameras. My problem is I'm also a "gadget guy" and love gadgets too much to just settle on one camera. I can't make a case for NOT doing photography with just an X100.

I have the same problem. The good news is that the engineer in me has to research and evaluate everything to death before I make a final decision and that has slowed down my quest for new toys. But, in less than four years since I switched from film to digital, I have owned nine different cameras and 28 different lenses plus, protection filters for most of the lenses, batteries, chargers, other filters, cables, two new camera bags and a backpack, and a new tripod. I already have a short list of extras for the X100T but am trying to hold off until Fuji at least unveils the X100F so I know what can be reused and what cannot.

Hmmm ... that's worse than me. Glad to hear it

Don't know what the X100F will offer, but I will be following the information regarding that camera very closely, especially if it has a 23mm lens. I do not as yet have a 23mm mountable lens for my FUJI bodies, but I am considering the 23mm/2. It sounds very attractive with 9 aperture blades and being weather resistant. Whether it is not quite as sharp as the 23mm/1.4 is a minor issue since I have other very sharp lenses.

As much as your logic tells you that all you need is an X100 type camera, I doubt you will satisfy your engineering character.

-- hide signature --

" LIFE is what happens while you're busy making other plans "
.... John Lennon
Lenses ? - I do have a few - and a few, I don't know I have, as well

ShutterNot's gear list:ShutterNot's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
loupardo New Member • Posts: 3

bs1946 wrote:

A little background about my question: Several times over the past few years, I have tried using two different camera systems at the same time. After a while I would get annoyed at using two different systems; especially when traveling. You are dealing with two sets of batteries and chargers, maybe two sets of cables, two different menu systems, and in most cases, two different sets of lenses.

For a while, I had an X100T with both conversion lenses to use along with my X-E2 kit which currently includes three lenses, XF 14mm f2.8, XF 23mm f1.4 and Rokinon 21mm f1.4. I decided that like before, I didn't want to deal with the two cameras that are in many ways the same and yet in many ways are two different systems. So after a lot of analysis, I decided to sell my X100T system and keep the X-E2 ILC system.

But,I've begun to miss the X100T and have second thoughts about my decision. If I go back to an X100T, I will sell my X-E2 kit or I will shelve it and only use the X100T until I'm sure I don't want to go back again..

One concern I have is the single fixed lens, unless I buy one or both converters again. But, I've been there before in the 1980s and 90s when, except for an SLR required for some courses I was taking, the only cameras I used for about ten years were a Canonet QL17 GIII and a Konica Hexar. Both fixed lens cameras and there were no converter options. Two things on the plus side are that during the four months I had the X100T, most of my better photos, keepers if you will, came from the X100T, not the X-E2. Also, on our last vacation, I took my X-E2 with five lenses and only used one of them at least 90% of the time, if not more. In fact, when I'm home, unless I'm going to some specific event or photo meet-up, I will leave the house with my X-E2, one lens, and a couple of spare batteries in my pocket.

So I'm curious to see how many of you get through life with just one of the X100 cameras or have considered it as a possibility.

I have been using it as my only camera for almost three years and I don't regret one minute. Sure, it would be nice to have a faster or longer lens sometimes, but never having to worry about a dirty sensor is worth it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads