T80 and lens problems

Started Jan 17, 2003 | Discussions
Maria Devery New Member • Posts: 5
T80 and lens problems

Hi

I have been offered a T80 really cheaply but the problem is that it does not have any lens to go with it. I understand in this model the auto focus is in the lens and no other lens other than the Canon T80 lens will allow the camera to focus automatically. I already have a T90 but want the automatic focus features of the T80. Is there any solution to this other than finding a T80 lens which seems to be impossible?

Thanks

Maria

pixseal
pixseal Veteran Member • Posts: 3,959
Re: T80 and lens problems

Maria Devery wrote:

I have been offered a T80 really cheaply but the problem is that it
does not have any lens to go with it. I understand in this model
the auto focus is in the lens and no other lens other than the
Canon T80 lens will allow the camera to focus automatically. I
already have a T90 but want the automatic focus features of the
T80. Is there any solution to this other than finding a T80 lens
which seems to be impossible?

Its my understanding that the T80 can use any "FD" lens (same as your T90). It will display an "in focus" indicator with any FD lens, however it will AF only with the 2 FD lenses specifically designed for the T80. The AF on the T80 was notoriously poor - it was a resounding failure.
--
-Dave

pixseal's gear list:pixseal's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +18 more
OP Maria Devery New Member • Posts: 5

So in other words if I am wanting an fully automatic camera that gives me clear shots you are advising me not to buy this camera?

Maria

dherzstein wrote:

Maria Devery wrote:

Its my understanding that the T80 can use any "FD" lens (same as
your T90). It will display an "in focus" indicator with any FD
lens, however it will AF only with the 2 FD lenses specifically
designed for the T80. The AF on the T80 was notoriously poor - it
was a resounding failure.
--
-Dave

Keith Jewell Regular Member • Posts: 261
Bingo!

I was recently searching Usenet about this camera, after running across a page about it. Basically, unless you want focus confirmation for FD lenses or can find the specific T80 lenses, don't bother - just use your T90.

-Keith

Maria Devery wrote:
So in other words if I am wanting an fully automatic camera that
gives me clear shots you are advising me not to buy this camera?

Maria

dherzstein wrote:

Maria Devery wrote:

Its my understanding that the T80 can use any "FD" lens (same as
your T90). It will display an "in focus" indicator with any FD
lens, however it will AF only with the 2 FD lenses specifically
designed for the T80. The AF on the T80 was notoriously poor - it
was a resounding failure.
--
-Dave

DirkL Regular Member • Posts: 391

pixseal wrote:

It will display an "in focus" indicator with any FD lens, however it will AF only with the 2 FD lenses specifically designed for the T80.

There is no in-focus indicator when using FD lenses, but the T80 will beep when in focus.

DirkL's gear list:DirkL's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Sony RX100 VA +9 more
Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 3,113

Hello...

Maria Devery wrote:

Hi

I have been offered a T80 really cheaply but the problem is that it does not have any lens to go with it. I understand in this model the auto focus is in the lens and no other lens other than the Canon T80 lens will allow the camera to focus automatically. I already have a T90 but want the automatic focus features of the T80. Is there any solution to this other than finding a T80 lens which seems to be impossible?

Thanks

Maria

IMHO go with the T80. 

-- hide signature --

Sue Anne Rush

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Mark III
Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 28,299
WOW, 18 year old post!!

DirkL wrote:

pixseal wrote:

It will display an "in focus" indicator with any FD lens, however it will AF only with the 2 FD lenses specifically designed for the T80.

There is no in-focus indicator when using FD lenses, but the T80 will beep when in focus.

The OP has not posted anything since.

Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,602

DirkL wrote:

pixseal wrote:

Super impressive thread resurrection

I think 18½ years is about as good as I have seen.

It does pay to look at dates before posting - I am thinking not much interest in an old T80 thread in 2021, and the OP may be dead by now (no activity since February 2003).

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more

Sue Anne Rush wrote:

Hello...

Maria Devery wrote:

Hi

Thanks

Maria

IMHO go with the T80.

Note that it was T80, not 80D

Giving purchasing advice to a person 18½ years later especially since they haven't posted on DPR almost since asking this question is questionable at best. It pays to read the thread properly

Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
canon5dsquared Regular Member • Posts: 460

Andy01 wrote:

Sue Anne Rush wrote:

Hello...

Maria Devery wrote:

Hi

Thanks

Maria

IMHO go with the T80.

Giving purchasing advice to a person 18½ years later especially since they haven't posted on DPR almost since asking this question is questionable at best. It pays to read the thread properly

It's a spamming account that comments on everything with zero help or substance.

canon5dsquared's gear list:canon5dsquared's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +8 more

canon5dsquared wrote:

Andy01 wrote:

Sue Anne Rush wrote:

Hello...

Maria Devery wrote:

Hi

Thanks

Maria

IMHO go with the T80.

It's a spamming account that comments on everything with zero help or substance.

I wondered if it was someone desperate to get their posting count up

canon5dsquared Regular Member • Posts: 460

Andy01 wrote:

canon5dsquared wrote:

Andy01 wrote:

Sue Anne Rush wrote:

Hello...

Maria Devery wrote:

Hi

Thanks

Maria

IMHO go with the T80.

I wondered if it was someone desperate to get their posting count up

Have a look for yourself

https://www.dpreview.com/members/4194178887/comments

Its basically the same comment every time

canon5dsquared's gear list:canon5dsquared's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +8 more

Andy01 wrote:

Not at all. I bought a T80 last week, looked for info and found this thread.

If it's true for me, it's probably true for other potential buyers in the future too.

DirkL wrote:

Andy01 wrote:

If it's true for me, it's probably true for other potential buyers in the future too.

Totally true.

If you had read my comment and the person I responded to, my comment was absolutely valid. The person replied to the OP after 18½ years suggested which camera to buy - I am pretty sure the OP would have made his/her decision long before now. They clearly didn't read the thread properly or see the date.

As you can see from the comments below mine the same person I replied to seems to have some form here in giving valueless responses without reading the posts above properly.

I did not say that old threads were of no use to anyone. I said that it is of no use replying to an OP's question after this many years.

Colin

Andy01 wrote:

DirkL wrote:

pixseal wrote:

Super impressive thread resurrection

I think 18½ years is about as good as I have seen.

It does pay to look at dates before posting - I am thinking not much interest in an old T80 thread in 2021, and the OP may be dead by now (no activity since February 2003).

Colin

DirkL wrote:

Andy01 wrote:

Totally true.

:

I did not say that old threads were of no use to anyone. I said that it is of no use replying to an OP's question after this many years.

Colin

Well, if you care about the informational value of old threads then you might stop patronizing people adding useful information and polute the thread with your irrelevant opinions that contribute nothing to the matter at hand.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads