Sony HX300 or Sony H X400?

Started Aug 12, 2016 | Discussions
Barbb New Member • Posts: 9
Sony HX300 or Sony H X400?

i have a Sony HX300 which sadly kept comin up with the flashing message E:62:10 so took it to my local camera shop who sent it off to their engineers who have quoted far too much to get it mended ! even the guy from the camera shop said it wasn't worth it and to put the money towards a new camera!

i do love the sony HX300 but my question is ... should i go for the HX400? to be honest i am not bothered about having WIFI but like GPS.. Is image quality any better as one review i read said

Lots of impressive features but image quality from the Sony HX400V is unexceptional.

or should i stick with the HX300 or even consider another make of bridge camera ?

some thoughts please.

TIA

Barbb

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dodge_Rock
Dodge_Rock Senior Member • Posts: 2,918
Re: Sony HX300 or Sony H X400?

Sorry to hear your camera croaked.  I have both cams and got the same error on the HX400.  It was under warranty and replaced free.  HX400 is much better camera in every area.

Dodge_Rock's gear list:Dodge_Rock's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950
quicky422 Regular Member • Posts: 454

Barbb wrote:

i have a Sony HX300 which sadly kept comin up with the flashing message E:62:10 so took it to my local camera shop who sent it off to their engineers who have quoted far too much to get it mended ! even the guy from the camera shop said it wasn't worth it and to put the money towards a new camera!

i do love the sony HX300 but my question is ... should i go for the HX400? to be honest i am not bothered about having WIFI but like GPS.. Is image quality any better as one review i read said

Lots of impressive features but image quality from the Sony HX400V is unexceptional.

or should i stick with the HX300 or even consider another make of bridge camera ?

some thoughts please.

TIA

Barbb

Coming from my personal preference, I have the HX200V and avoided the HX300 only because of the neutral reviews it received and from what I read from others. They made changes to the HX300 from the HX200V that they brought back in the HX400V, like the viewfinder sensor!!  If you get the HX400V, which you should do, you will really like that feature!!!  I think, if I recall right, there were other, let's say negative changes other than the VF sensor.

The HX400V received more praise over the HX300, plus it's more aligned in features to other current lines, i.e., the RX series.

If I were to invest into another camera, I would definitely go for the HX400V, it's worth the extra money!!  The only reason I haven't bought the HX400V is because I really like my RX10M2.  I like zoom though, so the RX10M3 is tempting but I've come to a waiting point!  I may still buy the HX400V....you can't beat it!!!

And, buy from Crutchfield.com!  They offer 60 day returns and lifetime tech support with your purchase!!  You can't go wrong with them and they've been around almost 20 years, if I'm correct!!

Post back when you get your HX400V!!!!

quicky422's gear list:quicky422's gear list
Kodak DX6440 Kodak EasyShare Z990 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony RX10 II
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 45,558

Dodge_Rock wrote:

It was under warranty and replaced free. HX400 is much better camera in every area.

agree

-- hide signature --

"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Pick my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III Nikon Coolpix P900 +3 more
Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 14,380

I sent my HX300 back after ten days, but have kept and used my HX400V steadily for 2.5 years. Maybe Sony will upgrade the HX400V to a new model with 4K video sometime soon and maybe they won't. It depends on how much time you can hold off buying a new one.

-- hide signature --
 Stephen McDonald's gear list:Stephen McDonald's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V +1 more
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 45,558

I've had the HX100,200,300,400

Never had a problem with any of them and got just fine shots with HX300. Still have it and still have HX400! 400 is the way to go!!!

-- hide signature --

"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Pick my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III Nikon Coolpix P900 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads