5D Mark IV initial specs?

Started Aug 9, 2016 | Discussions
rrccad Forum Pro • Posts: 10,617
5D Mark IV initial specs?

first sign that the Japanese wall which is Canon preventing leaks has been breached? perhaps?

30MP
compact flash
24/30fps @ 4k
120fps 1080
240fps 720
USB 3.0
cable release, more touchscreen UI, ergonomic changes..

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-specifications-and-image/

there was an image, it was pulled .. however it certainly showed a unique Canon camera pentaprism housing.

30MP makes alot of sense IMO

the rest of the specs are no brainers.
now what did they put into that pentaprism housing to make it that much bigger?

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
MayaTlab0
MayaTlab0 Senior Member • Posts: 2,265
Re: 5D Mark IV initial specs?

rrccad wrote:

The 1DXII's (or D3/D4/D5) AF points illumination system requires an additional prism and LCD screen. Maybe the 5DIV features a similar arrangement and that's why it's bigger.

OP rrccad Forum Pro • Posts: 10,617

MayaTlab0 wrote:

rrccad wrote:

The 1DXII's (or D3/D4/D5) AF points illumination system requires an additional prism and LCD screen. Maybe the 5DIV features a similar arrangement and that's why it's bigger.

oh that's a good call.

I'm still hoping for hybrid EVF/OVF

Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
Jonneymendoza2 Contributing Member • Posts: 715

following this thread closely.

did they mention fps?

MayaTlab0

rrccad wrote:

MayaTlab0 wrote:

rrccad wrote:

oh that's a good call.

Well I'm just waiting for an EVF full stop :D. But I can see how an hybrid would be exciting to a lot of people - although I'm pretty sure Canon wouldn't exploit it to the max, as usual with camera manufacturers (for example, I wonder if it would be able to display in the OVF a superimposed rendering of overexposed areas - basically, like zebras in live view, but with an OVF ?).

As far as I'm concerned I'm just hoping to see something at least moderately exciting from a controls / user interface / operational qualities point of view, but that's unlikely.

MayaTlab0 wrote:

rrccad wrote:

MayaTlab0 wrote:

rrccad wrote:

oh that's a good call.

Well I'm just waiting for an EVF full stop :D. But I can see how an hybrid would be exciting to a lot of people - although I'm pretty sure Canon wouldn't exploit it to the max, as usual with camera manufacturers (for example, I wonder if it would be able to display in the OVF a superimposed rendering of overexposed areas - basically, like zebras in live view, but with an OVF ?).

As far as I'm concerned I'm just hoping to see something at least moderately exciting from a controls / user interface / operational qualities point of view, but that's unlikely.

the patent showed both overlay and total EVF modes.

in other words, you could switch on liveview and use the EVF, you could take regular pictures and have zebra, level, histogram,etc overlays,etc.

looked pretty comprehensive.

but I wouldn't expect anything drastic from a control point of view ... on any camera canon considers "professional" the changes always seem to be slight

MayaTlab0

rrccad wrote:

MayaTlab0 wrote:

rrccad wrote:

MayaTlab0 wrote:

rrccad wrote:

oh that's a good call.

Well I'm just waiting for an EVF full stop :D. But I can see how an hybrid would be exciting to a lot of people - although I'm pretty sure Canon wouldn't exploit it to the max, as usual with camera manufacturers (for example, I wonder if it would be able to display in the OVF a superimposed rendering of overexposed areas - basically, like zebras in live view, but with an OVF ?).

the patent showed both overlay and total EVF modes.

in other words, you could switch on liveview and use the EVF, you could take regular pictures and have zebra, level, histogram,etc overlays,etc.

looked pretty comprehensive.

Well let's hope that for once an exciting patent will actually show up in an actual product in full form and not in a half-realised deflated way.

but I wouldn't expect anything drastic from a control point of view ... on any camera canon considers "professional" the changes always seem to be slight

Which is unfortunate as there are plenty of issues with Canon's cameras from a professional point of view (for example, the inability to save and share settings across cameras other than with the 1D series).

PhotoKhan Forum Pro • Posts: 10,357

rrccad wrote

That would definitely fall under what has been hinted about a function that would be a first in DSLRS.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.humbertoborgesfotografia.com/
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

PhotoKhan wrote:

rrccad wrote

That would definitely fall under what has been hinted about a function that would be a first in DSLRS.

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

it would be the bees knees for sure.

at the very least I'm looking for the same hotshoe as what exists in the M3 .. to allow the EVF to be attached.

Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 14,978
IMO, anything less than 36 MPs...

is a marketing mistake. This isn't a camera I will buy anyway but I want to see Canon having a successful launch so they can get that 120 MP camera out the door.

I am sure it will be popular among hardcore Canon fans especially if they get the DR right.

rrccad wrote:

first sign that the Japanese wall which is Canon preventing leaks has been breached? perhaps?

30MP
compact flash
24/30fps @ 4k
120fps 1080
240fps 720
USB 3.0

there was an image, it was pulled .. however it certainly showed a unique Canon camera pentaprism housing.

-- hide signature --

Once you've done fifty, everything else is iffy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S +2 more
jayphotoworks Regular Member • Posts: 134
Re: IMO, anything less than 36 MPs...

Rick Knepper wrote:

is a marketing mistake. This isn't a camera I will buy anyway but I want to see Canon having a successful launch so they can get that 120 MP camera out the door.

I am sure it will be popular among hardcore Canon fans especially if they get the DR right.

rrccad wrote:

first sign that the Japanese wall which is Canon preventing leaks has been breached? perhaps?

30MP
compact flash
24/30fps @ 4k
120fps 1080
240fps 720
USB 3.0

-- hide signature --

This camera is way underspecced if the initial specs are as listed. Canon's 5 series cameras should have superior video specs and performance to their 1 series. Not having CFast and 4K 60P is probably one strike, not having CLOG will be another. The A7III will wipe them out entirely during the next upgrade cycle given that the 5D4 won't be refreshed for 3 years if this is the case in both Megapixel and feature counts.

-- hide signature --

jayphotoworks photography

robonrome
robonrome Senior Member • Posts: 2,219

PhotoKhan wrote:

rrccad wrote

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

that could draw me back from a7rii back into the canon fold. being able to use the camera with full info in the viewfinder means I could use the DSLR without reading glasses...it's the main reason I went all mirrorless.

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus E-M1 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +14 more
Jonathan Brady
Jonathan Brady Veteran Member • Posts: 5,575

jayphotoworks wrote:

This camera is way underspecced if the initial specs are as listed.

Agree

Canon's 5 series cameras should have superior video specs and performance to their 1 series.

I can see where you're coming from

Not having CFast and 4K 60P is probably one strike, not having CLOG will be another.

Ok

The A7III will wipe them out entirely during the next upgrade cycle

Whoa! When did you hitch a ride on the hyperbole train?

given that the 5D4 won't be refreshed for 3 years if this is the case in both Megapixel and feature counts.

Actually, probably 4 years. Maybe longer.

Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a9 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +4 more
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,174

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

did they mention fps?

Did you click on the link provided by the OP?

Actually, I looked at the Canonrumers site today before I visited this DPR site. I was not looking for 5D IV information, but for news on the refurbished lens prices, anyway, but the 5D IV information was at the top of the column. Do keep in mind these are rumors, not established facts.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and make evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, and PJ. I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +30 more
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,174

Interesting; this could be a welcome addition to my "team" of 7D Mark II and 5Ds R cameras. I like the way that the 7D Mark II and 5Ds R complement each other, and a really good general-purpose 36x24 body could make for a quite complete set.

CF, rather than CFast, suits me. I have never handled a CFast card, but have read that it is possible to jam a CF card into a CFast slot, and/or vice-versa. (I am not sure whether that would damage anything.) Especially with the night/low-light/pre-sunrise shooting I do, I can foresee myself making such a mistake.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and make evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, and PJ. I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +30 more
rafalvonbur Junior Member • Posts: 43

well, give it 3 more weeks and we will see it !! cant wait but still trying to decide mark 3, 5ds or new mark 4.

Just sold my mark 2 and waiting for an upgrade patiently...

rafalvonbur's gear list:rafalvonbur's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +4 more
PWPhotography Senior Member • Posts: 2,565

jayphotoworks wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

is a marketing mistake. This isn't a camera I will buy anyway but I want to see Canon having a successful launch so they can get that 120 MP camera out the door.

rrccad wrote:

30MP
compact flash
24/30fps @ 4k
120fps 1080
240fps 720
USB 3.0

-- hide signature --

This camera is way underspecced if the initial specs are as listed. Canon's 5 series cameras should have superior video specs and performance to their 1 series. Not having CFast and 4K 60P is probably one strike, not having CLOG will be another.

No CFast? I want virtually unlimited RAWs in burst shooting. The spec missing critical burst rate, how many fps? Hope at least 8fps.

The A7III will wipe them out entirely during the next upgrade cycle given that the 5D4 won't be refreshed for 3 years if this is the case in both Megapixel and feature counts.

A7 III is a complete vaporware. I'd think rumored A9 with bigger body and much stronger battery with possible XQD card will be Sony's effort into sport camera market. A7-series will still keep compact body.  But regardless 5D IV is still my choice in wildlife and action photos, partially on the Canon tele lenses I have already owned.

-- hide signature --

jayphotoworks photography

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a9 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +13 more

Rexgig0 wrote:

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

did they mention fps?

Did you click on the link provided by the OP?

Actually, I looked at the Canonrumers site today before I visited this DPR site. I was not looking for 5D IV information, but for news on the refurbished lens prices, anyway, but the 5D IV information was at the top of the column. Do keep in mind these are rumors, not established facts.

-- hide signature --

To be honest the rumor was submitted with the image.

It's probably pretty legit, there's no other canon 5D series body that has that pentaprism housing.

We know the 5d does not have canons higher end video codec though because of the lack of CFAST.

so it either has 4K @ 30p MJPEG, or another consumer h.265 low bit rate (100mbs) codec.

chironNYC Senior Member • Posts: 2,356
Sounds very lovely to me! I'm gonna get one.

Actually, I like the sound of what I am hearing. It appears that, despite the rumors, Canon kept the 5d4 as primarily a stills camera, with adjunctive video. The reports had been that the camera was going to lean video, which would have been an abrupt departure from the market and the traditions of this body.

Also, I can live happily with 30mpix. Standards have moved upward in the last few years, and Canon has very strong IS technology, which they have been putting out in lens after lens, which will help with handholding in the appcliactions for which this camera is most used. If anyone wants more than 30, there is the 5ds.

If the sensor is notched up a bit on high ISO, and AF in low light is strengthened, and they get close to 8fps, along with whatever else they have stitched into the electronics, this could be a very lovely camera to possess and shoot with. And the changes above sort of have to be there to keep the 5d4 separated from the 6d, which is also a very lovely camera, and which competes effectively against the 5d3 for many users and applications.

Canon makes cameras to make pictures with, not to read the spec sheets on, and their cameras are always very lovely to actually use. I'm gonna get this one, as soon as I am sure the bugs have been eliminated.

chironNYC's gear list:chironNYC's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III

jayphotoworks wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

rrccad wrote:

30MP
compact flash
24/30fps @ 4k
120fps 1080
240fps 720
USB 3.0

-- hide signature --

This camera is way underspecced if the initial specs are as listed. Canon's 5 series cameras should have superior video specs and performance to their 1 series. Not having CFast and 4K 60P is probably one strike, not having CLOG will be another. The A7III will wipe them out entirely during the next upgrade cycle given that the 5D4 won't be refreshed for 3 years if this is the case in both Megapixel and feature counts.

oh pleaseee..

right now there's only one camera in the world that shoots 4K at 60p.

considering that 8k is out before 2020, it probably doesn't matter that the 5D only has 4k/30p

and .. it's not a video camera. Canon's 5 series cameras were first and foremost a still camera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads