WARNING: CaptureOne Pro 8 is not compatible with Windows 10 Anniversary update (1607)

Started Aug 8, 2016 | Discussions
BizOO Forum Member • Posts: 69
WARNING: CaptureOne Pro 8 is not compatible with Windows 10 Anniversary update (1607)

After updating your Windows 10 to version 1607, you'll not able to run CaptureOne Pro 8 anymore.

PhaseONE refuse to do anything concerning this issue while it's very likely an issue on their side. Their customer support say you must upgrade to version 9 or don't update your Windows 10. More info in their forum.

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 20,023
Re: WARNING: CaptureOne Pro 8 is not compatible with Windows 10 Anniversary update (1607)

While I am surprised C1 V8 isn't already Win 10 compatible (after all, V9 is less than a year old, as I recall, and Win10 is over a year old and the major software publishers knew about Win 10 long before it was released!); I'm not all that surprised that PhaseOne is reluctant to do any support programming on V8.

Few software companies receive any benefit from performing support on a retired product. It's all cost to them with no benefit. Were there any advance warnings that V8 was not compatible? Lots of times there were emails or press releases that almost no one pays attention to.

My sympathies lie with you, AND if PhaseOne knew that V8 was not going to be compatible, then notification should have gone out long ago. I'd be willing to bet while if you had been told about this 6 months ago you might not have been happy back then, but you probably wouldn't have the hard feelings you are experiencing right now.

Dumb, poor planning on PhaseOne's part.

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more
IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 3,192
Re: WARNING: CaptureOne Pro 8 is not compatible with Windows 10 Anniversary update (1607)

Glen Barrington wrote:

While I am surprised C1 V8 isn't already Win 10 compatible (after all, V9 is less than a year old, as I recall, and Win10 is over a year old and the major software publishers knew about Win 10 long before it was released!); I'm not all that surprised that PhaseOne is reluctant to do any support programming on V8.

Few software companies receive any benefit from performing support on a retired product. It's all cost to them with no benefit. Were there any advance warnings that V8 was not compatible? Lots of times there were emails or press releases that almost no one pays attention to.

My sympathies lie with you, AND if PhaseOne knew that V8 was not going to be compatible, then notification should have gone out long ago. I'd be willing to bet while if you had been told about this 6 months ago you might not have been happy back then, but you probably wouldn't have the hard feelings you are experiencing right now.

Although I agree in general with what you say, Win 10 puts users in a different position to previous versions in that users cannot decide NOT to upgrade.  I think this will have consequences for MS because they will make software and / or hardware unworkable without giving users the choice to not upgrade.  I see a class action opportunity

Ian

Simion1 Regular Member • Posts: 115

I'm not familiar with Capture One, but according to Wikipedia (if I got my facts straight), Capture One V8 was released less than two years ago?

If so, that's pretty crummy of them to wipe their hands with it. I kid you not, just a few months ago I saw someone using Kodak software from the Windows 98/2000 era on Windows 10. Yet their Capture One software is broken already due to their coding error and their solution is to 'pay us more money' to upgrade???

Seeing them tell people to disable Windows updates (and therefore security updates) is utterly mind-blowing and unbelievably irresponsible. Any yet, someone in that thread has even made a patch for PhaseOne himself to fix the issue, which according to him was a single-character code fix.

Cariboou
Cariboou Senior Member • Posts: 2,871

In my system after the big update I found a with my Intuos Pro Medium, then totally solved after updated the drivers, remain a problems with my e-reader Kobo, the ticket is been open and I still wait, same company working well and some company NO! Kobo is one of bad company, and if I was Indigo, was better stop to sell a products because not able to work with last update of Windows 10

-- hide signature --
 Cariboou's gear list:Cariboou's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
foot Veteran Member • Posts: 3,874

Microsoft does what is good for Microsoft.

Here's an evil change of behavior of windows programs:

Microsoft breaks own design rules in dupe-the-user Windows 10 upgrade tactic

"Microsoft has altered the behavior of a notification dialog so that clicking the "X" in the upper-right corner authorizes the pre-scheduled upgrade."

foot's gear list:foot's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro
Glen Barrington
How could this POSSIBLY relate to this thread?

foot wrote:

"Microsoft has altered the behavior of a notification dialog so that clicking the "X" in the upper-right corner authorizes the pre-scheduled upgrade."

This is not the right thread for your anger

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more
Re: How could this POSSIBLY relate to this thread?

Glen Barrington wrote:

foot wrote:

This is not the right thread for your anger

I'm not sure about that. From my past life as a top software developer there's a term called "run and gun". It refers to Microsoft (or other company) outputting incompatible updates that force companies to use scarce resources to continually fix their code to provide the same features!

What did Windows 10 break in CP1 ver 8? Who knows, but it is something that didn't have to break.

Sad to say but this does affect vendor choice - does the company have the resources and will to maintain their program under these market conditions?

I lost faith in phase one commitment when my trial version wouldn't work right, because my laptop didn't have enough screen pixels (which is the explanation phase one emailed me)

Phase One does have a nice program but market realities are market realities. How long until something breaks in ver 9 that phase one can't fix? At some point it comes down to money available for software developers, and if there is even a fix they can make.

Far easier for phase one to ease the pain by offering heavily discounted upgrades to ppl, say to version 9.0 and then charge for additional upgrades

[Edit] - BTW that's what my bank did when the Y2K program forced upgrade to newest version of quicken - they gave me a free copy of Quicken

Sigma dp2 Quattro
Cariboou
Cariboou Senior Member • Posts: 2,871

Well I like say to everybody that tonight my Kobo came back alive, after a help I got in the http://www.mobileread.com/ Forum my wife is happy now

-- hide signature --
 Cariboou's gear list:Cariboou's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
OP BizOO Forum Member • Posts: 69

foot wrote:

If you read my OP or the thread on PhaseONE forum, you'll see that the guilty party here is not Microsoft.

Using a non-public API without any precautions is simply unacceptable. The person that wrote this code must be fired...

foot wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

foot wrote:

I'm not sure about that. From my past life as a top software developer there's a term called "run and gun". It refers to Microsoft (or other company) outputting incompatible updates that force companies to use scarce resources to continually fix their code to provide the same features!

What did Windows 10 break in CP1 ver 8? Who knows, but it is something that didn't have to break.

From my present life as software developer for a VERY large Windows codebase, this is not true. If you wrote your code properly, there's very few issues with new Windows version.

Microsoft removed an obsolete non-public API from .NET framework, which I think is fair.

Glen Barrington wrote:

CO8 was compatible with Windows 10 as stated in their changelog:
Capture One v8.3.3 Released Sep. 7, 2015 - Support for Windows 10 64-bit, ...

The first post in the thread from a Windows Insider (read beta tester) is from Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:41 am.

They fixed the issue in CO9 but don't do anything in CO8, knowing that their users will not be able to use CO8 after the official Windows update.

They don't even send a notification to their users, nothing...

Glen Barrington
I don't buy it . . .

Why would Microsoft purposely break Capture One in such a way that PhaseOne couldn't work around?  I've only been using ACDSee about three - four years, but from what people say on the ACDSee User to User forum ,even versions all the way back to ACDSee 15/Pro 5 works just fine on Win 10.  One poster claims ACDSee Classic works on Win 10.

I suspect PhaseOne did some sort of programming "trick" that MIcrosoft warned against in some documentation to developers somewhere and it came back to haunt them after the OS upgrade.

That isn't Microsoft's fault. Nor is it Microsoft's job to police independent developers.  When I was active in the computer industry, Microsoft frequently published 'safe development rules' (I don't remember the actual name) for developers to follow if they want their creations to last into the future.  They were quite clear, failure to follow those rules might result in failure at some point.  PhaseOne took a gamble and lost.

No, the problem and the fault, lies solely with poor planning and execution on the part of Phase One.  This isn't the sort of 'sin' that should drive PhaseOne out of business or force people away from C1, but it is one more factor to consider when evaluating your relationship with a software publisher.  Other features may outweigh that one failure, or it  may not.  That is up to you.

BizOO wrote:

foot wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

foot wrote:

From my present life as software developer for a VERY large Windows codebase, this is not true. If you wrote your code properly, there's very few issues with new Windows version.

Microsoft removed an obsolete non-public API from .NET framework, which I think is fair.

Seriously? How big a code base, how many senior-level developers, and which programming languages are used? How big of a testing lab?

Now imagine scaling that down to a couple of programmers to carry the entire effort. Throw in some "inexpensive" entry-level dot.net programmers.

And if you're saying a large well-funded business can afford to "run and gun" all the updates, good for you! I agree!

I used to like CP1, until it stopped working (by design decision) on my laptop.  Products and vendors come and go, its just a fact of life, not much different than anything else.

Phase One should make this right for their customers

Sigma dp2 Quattro
Re: I don't buy it . . .

Glen Barrington wrote:

Why would Microsoft purposely break Capture One in such a way that PhaseOne couldn't work around?

Microsoft didn't have to deliberately break CP1ver8, its just what happened.  Phase One decided NOT to fix the issue, instead forcing ppl to buy the latest version.  Phase One's response is the issue

Sigma dp2 Quattro

BizOO wrote:

foot wrote:

If you read my OP or the thread on PhaseONE forum, you'll see that the guilty party here is not Microsoft.

yep, it's PhaseOne. And making this right seems pretty easy - fix ver 8 or provide free upgrade to ver 9.0 but charge upgrade prices for 9.0+ versions)

Using a non-public API without any precautions is simply unacceptable. The person that wrote this code must be fired...

Wrote the code? From reading the thread apparently a very small snippet of code was copied/pasted from StackOverflow

I'm a bit curious why someone would use that piece of code in CP1v8, since it seems removed from ver 9.  It had something to do with a workaround for dot.net images cache, which upset the GC (garbage collector) so how does it work after being removed? Anyone notice any performance penalties in ver9 ?

Sigma dp2 Quattro
Elandreth Regular Member • Posts: 215
Phase One is a terrible company

I have used Capture One since 2008 and always loved it.  I've posted numerous times here and on other message boards in support of it, advocating its virtues, and helping people make the transition over from other raw processing software.  Now, I regret all of that.

Phase One programmers copied code from Stack Overflow out of laziness.  They found out by February 22nd at the latest that this would break all versions of Capture One on Windows 10.  They fixed Capture One 9, but decided not to fix their mistake in any other versions as part of a scheme to force people to pay them more money.  Phase One was selling Capture One 8 new just last fall, but within a few months of that they began plotting against their own customers, planning since February to try to force people to pay more money through lies and manipulation.

Phase One has repeatedly said this is Microsoft's fault, but posters in the thread linked by the OP here quickly discovered that was a lie and the problem came from Capture One using private APIs.  But remember: Phase One fixed this issue in Capture One 9 months ago.  That means they knew it was actually their own fault!  So when they kept trying to blame Microsoft last week, they knew they were lying!

Phase One is a terrible company.  Here's a little fact I recently discovered about them: Capture One doesn't support any medium format cameras except their own.  So it supports the Leica M, Q, SL, etc., but not the S.  And it supports the Pentax K-1, K-5, Q, etc., but not the 645.  Capture One is used widely by customers with many different camera brands, and is even packaged these days with Sony cameras.  But out of spite, Phase One specifically prohibits their software from working with any medium format cameras but their own.  Do they really think that the support of a $300 piece of software is going to steer people's decision in a purchase of many thousands of dollars in medium format camera gear?  No, they're just petty.

Elandreth's gear list:Elandreth's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Leica Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Summarit-M 75mm f/2.5 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/15 ZM +29 more
Elandreth Regular Member • Posts: 215
Re: Phase One is a terrible company

One more thing I forgot to mention:

Capture One Pro 6 was released in the fall of 2010, version 7 was released in the fall of 2012, and version 8 was released in the fall of 2014.  So they were on a two-year release cycle.  But then Capture One Pro 9 was released in the fall of last year, 2015.  They cut their release cycle in half!  When you consider that it costs $100 to upgrade to each new version, this means they make a bunch more money.

Cutting the release cycle down and then pulling these tricks to force people to upgrade is all just part of a big money grab by Phase One.  I will never do business with them again.

Elandreth's gear list:Elandreth's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Leica Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Summarit-M 75mm f/2.5 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/15 ZM +29 more
Jim B (MSP) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,590
Re: Phase One is a terrible company

And don't get me started with the fiasco of Media Pro.

That eventually drove me away from them.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"It's all about the light"

Jim B (MSP)'s gear list:Jim B (MSP)'s gear list
Canon EOS 80D
nbirkett Senior Member • Posts: 1,469
Fix for Windows 10 incompatibility?

From the phase One discussion forums (posted today):

'A beta version of Capture One 8.4.5 can now be requested by contacting Phase One support.
Final version of 8.4.5 which includes support for Windows 10 Anniversary edition.'

-- hide signature --

Nick

nbirkett's gear list:nbirkett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads