Nikon 24-70 2.8 VS Tamron 24-70 2.8

Started Aug 8, 2016 | Discussions
Jguido85 New Member • Posts: 13
Nikon 24-70 2.8 VS Tamron 24-70 2.8

Which one is better, Looking for a good combo for a D750.  I've read that the Tamron is better, But that's from "pro reviewers"(aka photoz, Ken r and Dxo mark, I want to know from users on here. Not the VR model.

Which one is better

Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
thejohnnerparty Senior Member • Posts: 1,093
Re: Nikon 24-70 2.8 VS Tamron 24-70 2.8

I'm not sure, but I think this has already been asked. You might searching the threads. The answer may already be there.

thejohnnerparty's gear list:thejohnnerparty's gear list
Sony RX100
OP Jguido85 New Member • Posts: 13

I found a few, but they're very old and not used on current bodies.

Reaper Regular Member • Posts: 267

I was torn between the same two lenses for my D750. I ended up getting the Tamron after exhausting every bit of info/reviews I could find. The Tamron has performed flawlessly and at $1200 vs $1900+ for the Nikon, I think I made a good decision.

The Tamron also has a 3 day turn around for repair and a 6 year warranty. Another plus for it.

I find the Tamron focuses very fast and is very sharp at all apertures. It has never not locked focus yet and the VC allows me to get low light shots that I typically couldn't.

I typically shoot candids and the Tamron is slowly replacing my Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRII as my stay on camera lens. I also shoot crime scenes so I need a lens that is durable, sharp and will be good enough for crime scene photos in court.

all in all, I'm extremely please with the Tamron. Either lens will work wonders but why pay $700+ more if you don't have to?

Reaper's gear list:Reaper's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
OP Jguido85 New Member • Posts: 13

Reaper wrote:

I was torn between the same two lenses for my D750. I ended up getting the Tamron after exhausting every bit of info/reviews I could find. The Tamron has performed flawlessly and at $1200 vs $1900+ for the Nikon, I think I made a good decision.

The Tamron also has a 3 day turn around for repair and a 6 year warranty. Another plus for it.

I find the Tamron focuses very fast and is very sharp at all apertures. It has never not locked focus yet and the VC allows me to get low light shots that I typically couldn't.

I typically shoot candids and the Tamron is slowly replacing my Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRII as my stay on camera lens. I also shoot crime scenes so I need a lens that is durable, sharp and will be good enough for crime scene photos in court.

all in all, I'm extremely please with the Tamron. Either lens will work wonders but why pay $700+ more if you don't have to?

Great info! This is what I keep hearing.

Tanari
Tanari Junior Member • Posts: 37

I am using a Nikon D750 with the old Nikon 24-70 2.8. I have this lens since 2008 and i have used it now around the globe. There are quite a few reports about the bad mechanical quality and defects, but i have not observed any of them. The only thing i would criticize is the zoom rubber ring that is slowly getting off, i will have to replace it in the near future.

My friend is using the Tamron 24-70 with VC. I have compared both lenses on my D750 now a few times. Both are great and a joy to use! I personally like the Nikon 24-70 a bit more because of the faster AF and the Colors thanks to Nano Coating. I dont miss the VR/VC in that zoomrange and in low light situations i use my 1.4/1.8 primes anyway.

If you buy a used Nikon 24-70 2.8 Non-VR, check the zoom rubber ring and also check if the zoom is working smoothly. Specks of dust are often behing the last glass, it can be easily removed for cleaning.

Tanari's gear list:Tanari's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G +2 more
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,280

Jguido85 wrote:

Which one is better, Looking for a good combo for a D750. I've read that the Tamron is better, But that's from "pro reviewers"(aka photoz, Ken r and Dxo mark, I want to know from users on here. Not the VR model.

Which one is better

I have the Tamron but not used the Nikon so can't offer personal comparison, but a couple of comments.

Before I bought the Tamron I trawled all the reviews and comparisons I could find, and some reckoned the Tamron better optical quality (e.g. DXOmark), but probably more said they thought the Nikon better.  Because of the variety of results, I wonder if this is variation between individual copies of the lenses, and perhaps there is more variability in the Tamron.  When I got the Tamron I made sure it was from a store with a good returns policy.  And I made sure I did a lot of tests against focus test targets centre/edge, all aperture, all zooms - and did that in the first couple of days so I could send it back for a replacement if necessary.

Mine came from Amazon in the UK, and Tamron in Europe offer a 5 year warranty, not sure about elsewhere.

One general comment from several reviews: the Tamron autofocus is not as fast as the Nikon.  Mine focuses end-to-end of the range in half a second, and that's not an issue for me.  Liveview focus is slower, but so it is on all my lenses.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
chipmaster
chipmaster Senior Member • Posts: 2,880

The 24-70 is a complex design, what does better mean?

Some care most about center sharpness, others edge, others one focal length over another, then others want VR, or maybe focus speed, or build, or reputation, or resell, or.. bang for buck....

Every lens is a compromise and the 24-70 is one hard range to optimize.   You need to decide what is important and then jump in with both feet and feel good about it..

IMHO if value is your thing .. get a used 24-70G, though they are known to have issues, the superior build, resell and such make it a better proposition than the Tamron.  The Tamron is a fine value and from what I have read good,  personally I wished they had the build of the 15-30, it still feels cheap..

Want VR, don't mind size, and want a good balance over the whole range the new E is actually a very good lens if not controversial as it doesn't test well, but I love mine, beyond the size and price, LOL

-- hide signature --

" Today's Pictures Are Tomorrow's Memories "

chipmaster's gear list:chipmaster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D5 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +20 more
HSway
HSway Veteran Member • Posts: 3,175

chipmaster wrote:

The 24-70 is a complex design, what does better mean?

Some care most about center sharpness, others edge, others one focal length over another, then others want VR, or maybe focus speed, or build, or reputation, or resell, or.. bang for buck....

Every lens is a compromise and the 24-70 is one hard range to optimize. You need to decide what is important and then jump in with both feet and feel good about it..

Good points. And the role of the new 24-70 changed a little I think. The 24-70G emphasis is little more on the centre, it is very good at the edges (better than my 50/1.8G to give some perspective) but it isn’t as consistent which shows at the ends of its zoom range. And the corners can be a weak spot because of more factors. The VR version adopts what appears to be Nikon’s approach to standard(ish) zooms which shows in 24-120 lenses where we can see surprisingly flat focus plane. Nikkor.com’s last entry about AI AF Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6D (in The Thousand and One Nights section) describes this feature and the intent (I observed and mentioned flat field of the current 24-120/4 VR in the past). Now Nikon goes on with this approach in 24-70 VR. I think it’s pretty good idea. From this point (only) the G version is actually more universal as it also tried to do and did the job of the primes. Today we got higher resolution and things have moved on more fronts. And it makes building such a universality into a complex lens even harder. So Nikon seems to be applying a more segmented approach that is focusing on the balance (hard enough in a zoom) while leaving to the primes to shine at their jobs. That results in two interesting designs of 24-70 lenses that one can buy and while it puts more separation between the new/next coming primes and the standard VR zoom it realises that goal of a better balance for the zoom.

IMHO if value is your thing .. get a used 24-70G, though they are known to have issues, the superior build, resell and such make it a better proposition than the Tamron. The Tamron is a fine value and from what I have read good, personally I wished they had the build of the 15-30, it still feels cheap..

Want VR, don't mind size, and want a good balance over the whole range the new E is actually a very good lens if not controversial as it doesn't test well, but I love mine, beyond the size and price, LOL

-- hide signature --

" Today's Pictures Are Tomorrow's Memories "

-- hide signature --

Hynek

HSway
HSway Veteran Member • Posts: 3,175

I liked the Nikon better straight away (it went quite quick as with 14-24 vs Tokina 16-28). But I won’t be making hard statements based on one copy. I feel my Nikkor is above average, the Tamron could have bad luck and I am not trying to put it down for it. If the VC is not important (given that overall IQ in the broad centre of the Nikkor reduces that need for when large DOF is not needed) I’d try to get a fresher sample of the 24-70G, some 3, 4 years old lens, as I trust the later production more, in excellent condition - and if you find it that I’d call a great value. The VC can be very useful when you travel and rely on the lens for getting large DOF shots handheld. Video.

-- hide signature --
NearerNirvana
NearerNirvana Senior Member • Posts: 1,612

I have sampled these lenses, and exteensively researched, though my experience with both i use is very limited. FWIW...

Simon Garrett wrote:

perhaps there is more variability in the Tamron.

Agreed. From my experience with Tamron they have some QC issues.

Jguido85 wrote:

Which one is better....?

Assuming good samples: Here's where my research has led me:

Tamron is (obviously) better for it's image stabilisation & price

Nikon is better for it's build and AF speed

Vignetting on the Tamron is far worse than on the Nikon

Flare control on the Tamron is far better than the Nikon

To summarize: Neither is 'better' but one might be better for you.

Also consider your use. Bar handheld low light shooters, most people won't benefit that much from a 2.8

Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,280

NearerNirvana wrote:

I have sampled these lenses, and exteensively researched, though my experience with both i use is very limited. FWIW...

Simon Garrett wrote:

perhaps there is more variability in the Tamron.

Agreed. From my experience with Tamron they have some QC issues.

Jguido85 wrote:

Which one is better....?

Assuming good samples: Here's where my research has led me:

Tamron is (obviously) better for it's image stabilisation & price

Nikon is better for it's build and AF speed

Vignetting on the Tamron is far worse than on the Nikon

Interesting that Dxomark found the Tamron vignetting worse at 24mm, but similar or better at other focal lengths.

However, as we both say, there may be more copy-to-copy variation in Tamron.  I sent the first Tamron back as the VC was rather wobbly, and the second was not only better for VC, but slightly sharper almost across the range.

Flare control on the Tamron is far better than the Nikon

To summarize: Neither is 'better' but one might be better for you.

Also consider your use. Bar handheld low light shooters, most people won't benefit that much from a 2.8

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
NearerNirvana
NearerNirvana Senior Member • Posts: 1,612

Simon Garrett wrote:

Interesting that Dxomark found the Tamron vignetting worse at 24mm, but similar or better at other focal lengths.

If arbitrary lab tests are your poison then who am I to argue against them? Go for the Sigma 24-70, it's sharper than the NikonĀ 

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads