Love at first sight...then

Started Jul 31, 2016 | User reviews
chile7236 Contributing Member • Posts: 753
Love at first sight...then

When I first got this phone, I loved it.  Good size, snappy operation and everything else I want in a phone...or so I thought.  After 4 months, and a few software updates and saved photos, etc., the battery life really isn't that good (as mentioned in the initial reviews) but the most glaring thing for me is the unreliable GPS.  I lose signal almost immediately when using maps or other apps that need the GPS.  It's really frustrating because I travel a lot and need that to work.  I am supposed to be getting a replacement and am told it will not have the GPS issue.  I hope so.

chile7236's gear list:chile7236's gear list
Nikon D300 Sony a6400 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +8 more
LG G5
5.3 screen • 16 megapixels (rear) • 8 megapixels (front)
Announced: Feb 21, 2016
chile7236's score
Average community score
T0ASTERvan
T0ASTERvan Regular Member • Posts: 112
Re: Love at first sight...then

Not sure what caught our eye when purchasing a new (our first) smart phone, but we've opted for the LG Rebel which is the same size and shape as your phone and prob because it was something we could afford. Even with all the added calling, text & data cards.. we don't use the smarty like other folks. However this could change based on our travels. Images and video would be a must.

Yet having a small pocket camera I felt limited because the camera was more of a hindrance but I still use the camera for close ups and large format stills. I'm hoping our LG will preform nicely while on our trips.

However, in my opinion, and if you have small or have a hard time grasping these smaller/thinner smart phones, I would opt for a case & cover set like I did. The Oeago case/cover is very rugged and can be positioned in a numbers of stances or settings.

Although I'm not into the GPS settings and actually removed them from my smarty, My wife has her still installed and she wants more. But we still use the good old fashion paper road map. I think it's good to have GPS on a device, just not a smart phone cause to me the screen is too small to actually see all that needs to be seen. Opt for a larger tablet for GPS devices next time.

T0ASTERvan's gear list:T0ASTERvan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix XP60 +4 more
OP chile7236 Contributing Member • Posts: 753

the screen size is fine enough...the problem is the GPS loses signal constantly.

Nikon D300 Sony a6400 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +8 more
T0ASTERvan

Understood and I've been researching this myself. Not saying we'll go this route but a couple of things are happening here,

1. Your cell/service provider could be at fault and I would consider switching to a more reliable provider.
  2. I have seen and heard of this.. but it's a USB devise which plugs into your cell's USB port (power port/charger) that acts like an external antena.
  3. Your GPS software needs to connect to the software's host/developers server. In this case their server might be having connection issues. So check into other GPS software for your smart phone.

I've been thinking of doing the USB antena thing myself.. basically this is how it works.. the USB antena grabs a a more define and stronger signal from other Providers.. Say your with AT&T and you purchase this antena from Verizon which simply plugs into your smart phone. The antena is no larger that a flash card. This will allow you to have wifi or wireless connection more so than if you didn't have the antena before. If you haven't checked into this.. it might help you with your GPS system.

Just research: "smartphone wifi signal usb adapter"

Robert Zanatta Senior Member • Posts: 2,580

Reminds me of the G2 I had.  The device would have intermittent GPS issues that turned into GPS no longer working.  It was a common problem, and even an issue for the device LG made for Google.

Problem was the contact point for the internal antenna was not robust.  The fix was relatively easy - just had to prop up the board contact with a thin piece of tape so that it would better engage the antenna contact.

Robert Zanatta's gear list:Robert Zanatta's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
T0ASTERvan

@Robert Zanatta

K so you'd recommend an antenna type setup also.. and not so much a wifi/wireless signal booster or one in the same.. could be valuable to know if and when we opt for a tablet with these capabilities.

AT&T is replacing the phone with one, they say, will not have this problem...so, fingers crossed.

T0ASTERvan

Tell me you're kidding right. replacing what you had with an AT&T service plan?.. I just don't see this as being an upgrade or better option for you, though I could be wrong. At least the time we've spent with AT&T hasn't been pleasant. but we deal with it.. Unless there comes a day when we can actually afford a service plan like everyone else, looks as if we'll have to resort to tracfone's joint dealings with AT&T.

In my opinion, I would have suggested going with a different provider.. maybe Verizon or T-mobile so I look forward to seeing how well the GPS system works with your new provider. GL

T0ASTERvan wrote:

Tell me you're kidding right. replacing what you had with an AT&T service plan?.. I just don't see this as being an upgrade or better option for you, though I could be wrong. At least the time we've spent with AT&T hasn't been pleasant. but we deal with it.. Unless there comes a day when we can actually afford a service plan like everyone else, looks as if we'll have to resort to tracfone's joint dealings with AT&T.

In my opinion, I would have suggested going with a different provider.. maybe Verizon or T-mobile so I look forward to seeing how well the GPS system works with your new provider. GL

I am assuming it will be the same and then I will see about trading it in for a different model. This is the only phone I've ever had a GPS issue with

Doug Pardee
Doug Pardee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,920

It's been reported that this is a mechanical issue of poor electrical contact between parts on the front and back halves of the phone, just above the volume-up button. If you're just a little daring, you can fix it yourself:
https://www.reddit.com/r/lgg5/comments/4u8m9p/how_to_fix_your_gps_fixed_in_10_minutes/

Verizon reportedly has acknowledged there's an issue, and has a hardware fix. I don't know about AT&T.

T-Mobile reportedly had (has?) a separate, firmware, issue where it'd keep locking and unlocking. Some people say it's fixed in recent firmware, others say it's not.

I predict that this is going to become a big issue due to Pokemon Go.

-- hide signature --

The open-source LightZone Project: http://lightzoneproject.org/

Doug Pardee's gear list:Doug Pardee's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Canon EOS 350D +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads