D500 an Reikan Focal Pro 600mm Sigma

Started Jul 23, 2016 | Discussions
Tobamory Senior Member • Posts: 1,157
D500 an Reikan Focal Pro 600mm Sigma

I will attempt today to dial the Sigma 600mm C using both Focal Pro and the Sigma USB dock.

The goal is for the focal Pro to return a 0 value IE no adjustment needed, and use the bios on the USB dock to alter the lens at that level, using Focal to steer me.

If anybody has done this or wants to share their experiences it would be good.

I'm led to understand 1 notch in the Camera is 2 in the USB dock software, what ive yet to work out is each focal length in the dock has 4 parts, how i tune 4 parts or how i divide up the changes.

Thanks guys

Rob

 Tobamory's gear list:Tobamory's gear list
Sony a7R III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sony FE 70-200 F4 +4 more
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
1elementin7groups
1elementin7groups Veteran Member • Posts: 3,087
Re: D500 an Reikan Focal Pro 600mm Sigma

I used Reikan Focal Pro with my D810 and Sigma 150-600 S. It should be similar on the D500.  Follow the basic setup (tripod, target position, camera setup). I started at 600mm then worked my way back to 4 different focal settings. I think these are the same focal settings on the dock. It has been a year since I did this.

Once you get the combo MFA then you transfer the values to the dock. My understanding were the values should be doubled so I did that on mine. Focal called for +6 On mine so I entered +12 for the 600mm length. Other focal lengths were not as extreme. It did make a difference on my lens.

All values are pretty straight forward to enter into dock. Be sure to save the lens reports on the lens from Focal. You may need them if you ever, for whatever reason, lose the values you registered in the dock.

Dave

-- hide signature --
 1elementin7groups's gear list:1elementin7groups's gear list
Sony a9 Nikon D850 Sony a7R IV Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +18 more
OP Tobamory Senior Member • Posts: 1,157
Re: D500 an Reikan Focal Pro 600mm Sigma

1elementin7groups wrote:

I used Reikan Focal Pro with my D810 and Sigma 150-600 S. It should be similar on the D500. Follow the basic setup (tripod, target position, camera setup). I started at 600mm then worked my way back to 4 different focal settings. I think these are the same focal settings on the dock. It has been a year since I did this.

Once you get the combo MFA then you transfer the values to the dock. My understanding were the values should be doubled so I did that on mine. Focal called for +6 On mine so I entered +12 for the 600mm length. Other focal lengths were not as extreme. It did make a difference on my lens.

All values are pretty straight forward to enter into dock. Be sure to save the lens reports on the lens from Focal. You may need them if you ever, for whatever reason, lose the values you registered in the dock.

Dave

Thanks Dave my only issue I can see is on the dock it has the distances listed across the 4 segments and that I don't use the advised distance of 12m by reikan.

the last 2 segments on each focal length is 50m and infinity how did you do these, did you just use a high contract road sign or did the target still work at 50m?

im going to do 600mm first as this is where the lens isn't sharpest see how it goes. Another issue is having the laptop teathered to it, unless I have the tripod close to the ground it's a carry affair, I was thinking about rigging up an old surface pro 2 a bit lighter. I did the tokina 11-16 yesterday which gave me a -3 very good software I must say, very thorough and tell you if you lens is OK etc

thanks

 Tobamory's gear list:Tobamory's gear list
Sony a7R III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sony FE 70-200 F4 +4 more
Guido de Kleijn Regular Member • Posts: 169
Re: D500 an Reikan Focal Pro 600mm Sigma

Tobamory wrote:

1elementin7groups wrote:

I used Reikan Focal Pro with my D810 and Sigma 150-600 S. It should be similar on the D500. Follow the basic setup (tripod, target position, camera setup). I started at 600mm then worked my way back to 4 different focal settings. I think these are the same focal settings on the dock. It has been a year since I did this.

Once you get the combo MFA then you transfer the values to the dock. My understanding were the values should be doubled so I did that on mine. Focal called for +6 On mine so I entered +12 for the 600mm length. Other focal lengths were not as extreme. It did make a difference on my lens.

All values are pretty straight forward to enter into dock. Be sure to save the lens reports on the lens from Focal. You may need them if you ever, for whatever reason, lose the values you registered in the dock.

Dave

Thanks Dave my only issue I can see is on the dock it has the distances listed across the 4 segments and that I don't use the advised distance of 12m by reikan.

the last 2 segments on each focal length is 50m and infinity how did you do these, did you just use a high contract road sign or did the target still work at 50m?

im going to do 600mm first as this is where the lens isn't sharpest see how it goes. Another issue is having the laptop teathered to it, unless I have the tripod close to the ground it's a carry affair, I was thinking about rigging up an old surface pro 2 a bit lighter. I did the tokina 11-16 yesterday which gave me a -3 very good software I must say, very thorough and tell you if you lens is OK etc

thanks

I think you have to see what the different values are and you can calculate the far distance then. I once had a Sigma 18-35 1.8 and it was an hell of a job to finetune it. As already said there is a difference between the values of Reikan and the values of the Sigma Dock software.

I own a 200-500 and did use Reikan last friday, two times it gave me an excellent +3, so I gave it +3 and only tested on 500mm because I used that the most. I tested on 12 meters as Reikan adviced.

So do a test on 150, 300 and 600 for example and if the values are not very different take the average and set this in your D500. If the difference is very big like I had with the Sigma 18-35 (between +1 and -11) then you have some nice work to do on a rainy day :).

-- hide signature --
 Guido de Kleijn's gear list:Guido de Kleijn's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +1 more
OP Tobamory Senior Member • Posts: 1,157
thanks

Thanks I did a test at 600 this weekend at 12m and it returned a +5 on testing it it's definitely sharper at 600 now..

''but I now have a large task ahead to test 4 focal lengths each with 4 distances

9.2m

20m

48m

infinity

if focal returns a Figure you double it for the sigma dock so +5 will be +10 so I learn..

'I'll keep you posted

'I found getting the camera at 150mm at 9.2 m a pain slightest tripod movement meant it was out of target lock, God knows what 20 and 48 will be like, I might have to use a road sign

 Tobamory's gear list:Tobamory's gear list
Sony a7R III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sony FE 70-200 F4 +4 more
Guido de Kleijn Regular Member • Posts: 169
Re: thanks

Tobamory wrote:

Thanks I did a test at 600 this weekend at 12m and it returned a +5 on testing it it's definitely sharper at 600 now..

''but I now have a large task ahead to test 4 focal lengths each with 4 distances

9.2m

20m

48m

infinity

if focal returns a Figure you double it for the sigma dock so +5 will be +10 so I learn..

'I'll keep you posted

'I found getting the camera at 150mm at 9.2 m a pain slightest tripod movement meant it was out of target lock, God knows what 20 and 48 will be like, I might have to use a road sign

I don't know if Reikan accepts a roadsign as target. Maybe you can use a large barn or warehouse somewhere and take the Reikan target and some floodlight. That's what I did last friday.

-- hide signature --
 Guido de Kleijn's gear list:Guido de Kleijn's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +1 more
OP Tobamory Senior Member • Posts: 1,157
Re: thanks

Guido de Kleijn wrote:

Tobamory wrote:

Thanks I did a test at 600 this weekend at 12m and it returned a +5 on testing it it's definitely sharper at 600 now..

''but I now have a large task ahead to test 4 focal lengths each with 4 distances

9.2m

20m

48m

infinity

if focal returns a Figure you double it for the sigma dock so +5 will be +10 so I learn..

'I'll keep you posted

'I found getting the camera at 150mm at 9.2 m a pain slightest tripod movement meant it was out of target lock, God knows what 20 and 48 will be like, I might have to use a road sign

I don't know if Reikan accepts a roadsign as target. Maybe you can use a large barn or warehouse somewhere and take the Reikan target and some floodlight. That's what I did last friday.

Morning Guido, it does accept it, there is an option to take the official Target out of the equation and use a high contrast target.

 Tobamory's gear list:Tobamory's gear list
Sony a7R III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sony FE 70-200 F4 +4 more
Guido de Kleijn Regular Member • Posts: 169
Re: thanks

Tobamory wrote:

Guido de Kleijn wrote:

Tobamory wrote:

Thanks I did a test at 600 this weekend at 12m and it returned a +5 on testing it it's definitely sharper at 600 now..

''but I now have a large task ahead to test 4 focal lengths each with 4 distances

9.2m

20m

48m

infinity

if focal returns a Figure you double it for the sigma dock so +5 will be +10 so I learn..

'I'll keep you posted

'I found getting the camera at 150mm at 9.2 m a pain slightest tripod movement meant it was out of target lock, God knows what 20 and 48 will be like, I might have to use a road sign

I don't know if Reikan accepts a roadsign as target. Maybe you can use a large barn or warehouse somewhere and take the Reikan target and some floodlight. That's what I did last friday.

Morning Guido, it does accept it, there is an option to take the official Target out of the equation and use a high contrast target.

Allright thanks for the tip! I didn't knew that. I only did tests with the original target as you can download from the site.

-- hide signature --
 Guido de Kleijn's gear list:Guido de Kleijn's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +1 more
kathgarveyuk Contributing Member • Posts: 802
Re: thanks

Hi, I know this is an older post but I'll ask the question anyway 😁 . I'm Guessing when you use FoCal to calibrate the Sigma 150-600 C  and using the Sigma dock. You only apply the changes to the lens through the dock and not the camera.

TIA for your replies.

-- hide signature --
 kathgarveyuk's gear list:kathgarveyuk's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D
OP Tobamory Senior Member • Posts: 1,157
Re: thanks
1

Well you can apply them to the camera but that only covers your preferred focal length. if you use the dock you can do all focal lengths

You objective is to alter the dock settings enough so that when you run each test again, it returns +1 0 or -1, i.e. dialling in the lens..

 Tobamory's gear list:Tobamory's gear list
Sony a7R III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sony FE 70-200 F4 +4 more
kathgarveyuk Contributing Member • Posts: 802
Re: thanks

Thank you, that makes sense. Now just waiting for a fine day to test it.

-- hide signature --
 kathgarveyuk's gear list:kathgarveyuk's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D
OP Tobamory Senior Member • Posts: 1,157
Re: thanks
1

Yes Kath does become an issue in the UK

When you do the infinity end ie 600mm, i used a street sign.... too hard to line up the target, a small amount of wind moved it....

 Tobamory's gear list:Tobamory's gear list
Sony a7R III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sony FE 70-200 F4 +4 more
kathgarveyuk Contributing Member • Posts: 802
Re: thanks

Thank you again. The road sign is a good idea !

-- hide signature --
 kathgarveyuk's gear list:kathgarveyuk's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads