D500 on vacation sample pictures

Started Jul 23, 2016 | Discussions
ghostwind Forum Member • Posts: 84
D500 on vacation sample pictures

After going back and forth between Nikon this and Nikon that, this lens and that lens, and fretting too much about DOF, DX vs FX, and the usual Internet forum stuff/GAS, two weeks ago I settled on the D500 with the 16-80mm f/2.8-4 kit lens, as well as the 70-200mm f/4 & 35mm f/1.8DX lenses. I realized the most important thing for me is having a fast camera with decent glass that isn't too large and intimidating, and that I could use to shoot really anything. I could fit everything in the smallest Domke bag on one shoulder and the D500 with whichever lens on the other shoulder all day long. I know the D500 is marketed as an action/wildlife camera, but for me it's just a great camera all around. I don't shoot much of what the camera is marketed for, but I realized it was better for me than the D750 or D810 due to the fast and superior AF, low light AF, AF point coverage, more DOF for a given aperture, longer reach on the 70-200mm f/4, and of course the fast FPS (which I use many times in quick bursts for non-sports/wildlife). Attached are some samples from my recent vacation that hopefully show the range that this camera is good for (basically anything IMHO), outside of action/sports/wildlife. Using primarily the 16-80 and 70-200, I was/am pretty well covered. Throw in the 35mm f1/8DX for very low light, and that's about all I need. For sports, I'll perhaps rent a longer telephoto as needed. Too much "gear thinking" and over-thinking before leaving for my trip, only to once again realize it doesn't much matter

Cheers!

ghostwind's gear list:ghostwind's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon D500 Nikon D750 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kerry Pierce
MOD Kerry Pierce Forum Pro • Posts: 19,757
Re: D500 on vacation sample pictures

ghostwind wrote:

I know the D500 is marketed as an action/wildlife camera, but for me it's just a great camera all around.

Exactly.  What really matters is whether or not the camera is suited to a given task.  AFAICT, the d500 will shoot any genre with aplomb.

needed. Too much "gear thinking" and over-thinking before leaving for my trip, only to once again realize it doesn't much matter

Again, correct. I managed to gather a ton of lenses while trying to build kits for each genre that I liked to shoot. What a waste of time, money and resources.    If I had it to do over, I would have far fewer lenses and kit.

You had a number of very nice shots in this batch, but I really liked this shot.  Very nicely done, sir.

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +17 more
MacroFuji Regular Member • Posts: 236

D500 can do it all. Your portraits of the young ladies are wonderful.

MacroFuji's gear list:MacroFuji's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S
Kerry Pierce
MOD Kerry Pierce Forum Pro • Posts: 19,757

MacroFuji wrote:

D500 can do it all.

Yes, I agree.  I'm looking forward to trying all of the various genre with it.

Your portraits of the young ladies are wonderful.

Thank you so much for your kind words, sir.  They are greatly appreciated. 

Kerry

-- hide signature --

When is it "Okay" to be mean, petty or unethical?
-
my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +17 more
Guido de Kleijn Regular Member • Posts: 169

Really a great set of shots! Were where you? Romania, Moldavia or something like that? Looks like a beautiful country.

-- hide signature --
 Guido de Kleijn's gear list:Guido de Kleijn's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +1 more
OP ghostwind Forum Member • Posts: 84

Yes, good eye! It was in the northern part of Romania. Great subjects make taking pictures a lot easier For the portraits, I was playing with the 70-200 f/4, trying to see if it was shallow enough for me at f/4 on a DX sensor. And the answer is yes. And also very sharp as well wide open. I also realized that I'd rather have a 70-200 on a DX sensor than on FX, especially as I already have a 24-120mm equivalent in the 16-80mm.

Thanks for the comments all. It was fun and also challenging. Mostly getting close and shooting people (and large dogs!) at 24mm. I also underexposed most of the time - seems the D500 likes it this way.

Also, the D500 and 16-80 survived the "fire test" seen in the picture here. I was in this small room for about 10min taking various pictures at different angles and exposures, sparks were flying at me, I felt like I was going to melt, yet no issue with the camera or lens but some lens clean-up afterwards. I also dropped the camera about 2-3 times, it rolled around on concrete once where I thought I lost it, banged lenses left and right, dirt, etc. No issues. Some hard places I'd never been to, but the D500 managed it all. I was also looking at the D750, but the build quality of the D500 is better, more rugged, and can take more of a beating.

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 23,648
excellent serie with

A lot feeling transmitted from the subjects to us.

😉

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Or
* Photo Mate R 3 *
***A fool despises good counsel, but a wise man takes it to heart***
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 6,494

Congratulations, excellent shooting!

Lots of close and personal ones at 16mm, i like them!

I don't know if i agree with you regarding gear, only that it's painfully clear that it's all about.. the person behind the camera.  

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece
N.B. All my images are protected by Copyright

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +8 more
Re: excellent serie with

Marti58 wrote:

A lot feeling transmitted from the subjects to us.

😉

Thanks, it was a lot of fun traveling around and playing with a new camera

miles green wrote:

Congratulations, excellent shooting!

Lots of close and personal ones at 16mm, i like them!

Thanks. I do think it would have been a bit different had I had a grip attached or a D5 with me. I never used any of my lens hoods either - too large and intimidating.

I don't know if i agree with you regarding gear, only that it's painfully clear that it's all about.. the person behind the camera.

Yeah, I do think it's an individual choice when it comes to camera and lens selection, even if shooting the same subjects. A lot of the shots I took, I think I could have used various lenses and gotten the same shot for example. The important thing is to keep it simple for me and be extremely comfortable with the gear.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece
N.B. All my images are protected by Copyright

Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 4,231

Kerry Pierce wrote:

ghostwind wrote:

I know the D500 is marketed as an action/wildlife camera, but for me it's just a great camera all around.

Exactly. What really matters is whether or not the camera is suited to a given task. AFAICT, the d500 will shoot any genre with aplomb.

needed. Too much "gear thinking" and over-thinking before leaving for my trip, only to once again realize it doesn't much matter

Again, correct. I managed to gather a ton of lenses while trying to build kits for each genre that I liked to shoot. What a waste of time, money and resources. If I had it to do over, I would have far fewer lenses and kit.

You had a number of very nice shots in this batch, but I really liked this shot. Very nicely done, sir.

Yes!  Shooting wide open with the f4 zoom and nailing focus on the eye really worked great!

-- hide signature --
 Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
Michael Oersigh Senior Member • Posts: 2,098

Hi

These images reminds me of the days of film. No bigger compliment than that.

Thanks

Michael Oersigh's gear list:Michael Oersigh's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC
vbuhay
vbuhay Veteran Member • Posts: 3,555

ghostwind wrote:

After going back and forth between Nikon this and Nikon that, this lens and that lens, and fretting too much about DOF, DX vs FX, and the usual Internet forum stuff/GAS, two weeks ago I settled on the D500 with the 16-80mm f/2.8-4 kit lens, as well as the 70-200mm f/4 & 35mm f/1.8DX lenses. I realized the most important thing for me is having a fast camera with decent glass that isn't too large and intimidating, and that I could use to shoot really anything. I could fit everything in the smallest Domke bag on one shoulder and the D500 with whichever lens on the other shoulder all day long. I know the D500 is marketed as an action/wildlife camera, but for me it's just a great camera all around. I don't shoot much of what the camera is marketed for, but I realized it was better for me than the D750 or D810 due to the fast and superior AF, low light AF, AF point coverage, more DOF for a given aperture, longer reach on the 70-200mm f/4, and of course the fast FPS (which I use many times in quick bursts for non-sports/wildlife). Attached are some samples from my recent vacation that hopefully show the range that this camera is good for (basically anything IMHO), outside of action/sports/wildlife. Using primarily the 16-80 and 70-200, I was/am pretty well covered. Throw in the 35mm f1/8DX for very low light, and that's about all I need. For sports, I'll perhaps rent a longer telephoto as needed. Too much "gear thinking" and over-thinking before leaving for my trip, only to once again realize it doesn't much matter

Cheers!

Looks like you have already answered your own questions... you certainly are making the most out of the equipment you have. Very nice shots # 2, 3, 5 and 11 are my favorites....

vbuhay's gear list:vbuhay's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800E Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +32 more

vbuhay wrote:

ghostwind wrote:

Cheers!

Looks like you have already answered your own questions... you certainly are making the most out of the equipment you have. Very nice shots # 2, 3, 5 and 11 are my favorites....

Yes, nothing like going out to shoot instead of testing, reading, and overthinking at home Some of the shots I posted were ones I intentionally took just to see how the camera/lens(es) would behave. In terms of making the most, yeah, for me it simply came down to keeping it simple. With really only 2 lenses on me, I didn't have to think too much about which to use in any given situation, and I got to learn them more quickly. It also helped me move around with less gear - both while walking/hiking/driving and shooting. As far as the D500, it just naturally felt easy to use and by now it's second nature to use it extremely quickly, as I had to at times. I was thinking to maybe add an FX body later this year, but only I think if the controls/layout are the same. Not having to lift your eye from the viewfinder while changing settings is key, and muscle memory is hard to overcome with two different bodies. At least for me.

My favorite shot from the ones posted is this one below, because I wanted it to look like a scene from someone diving for sunken wrecks - an old car used during the communist times in this case. I saw the picture in my head when I came across it walking around, but had to wait a few nights for the sky to get "dirty", and then I also underexposed 2 stops to make it even darker/"underwatery". So I was happy with the effort put in I guess.

Another favorite is this one. It's a cabin on top of a mountain where the shepherds live all year long and make cheese, tend to the animals, etc. But to me it also looked very much like an image of American pioneers populating the Wild West back in day - that kind of a house and feeling to it. So that was/is interesting to me. Anyway, that's how I saw these two pictures at least.

ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 36,780

some nice images there.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
- Peter Adams
ga weg stalker.
Believe in Karma.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Nikon D750 Pentax KP Canon 6D Mark II Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +11 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 23,648

Michael Oersigh wrote:

Hi

Thanks

+1 to that the images + Processing is excellent.

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Or
* Photo Mate R 3 *
***A fool despises good counsel, but a wise man takes it to heart***
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 501

Good to hear people caring about contents instead of technical details.

For holidays I just bring my D800 + 50mm/1.8G and couldn't be happier.

Marti58 wrote:

Michael Oersigh wrote:

Hi

Thanks

+1 to that the images + Processing is excellent.

Thanks. Actually I keep that simple too. I only use Adobe Bridge with Camera RAW/ACR. In there I spend out 5min max on a photo, usually boosting the saturation & contrast. The AWB works pretty damn good on the D500, so I only change that if I want a different effect. Some pushing of shadows, some pulling of highlights, and that's really it. I also try hard never to crop and get it right in camera, so I don't lose resolution for printing. Also for ego

In the past I tried Photoshop and various "film-like" filters only to get lost and waste a lot of time in there, putting me off the whole process. I use Photoshop to batch resize, sharpen, etc. Once I find the right look/settings, I will probably start shooting JPEG to have a consistent look to all photos - maybe a few presets like different film stocks. Dunno, but whatever it takes to spend as little time as possible. I used to shoot slide, so have a preference for that saturated and contrasty look. Even for profile shots like this wide angle one.

Daniel4 wrote:

But isn't that 50mm f/1.8 full of chromatic aberrations and soft wide open, etc.? Why not take full advantage of that great resolving power of the D800?

n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,527

ghostwind wrote:

Daniel4 wrote:

But isn't that 50mm f/1.8 full of chromatic aberrations and soft wide open, etc.? Why not take full advantage of that great resolving power of the D800?

That IS a technical detail

Anyways, that is assuming you always shoot wide open.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads