Time limits on Canon 60d 70d Mk2 & 3???

Started Jul 20, 2016 | Discussions
TrentSprenkle Forum Member • Posts: 71
Time limits on Canon 60d 70d Mk2 & 3???

Just shot a wedding with my 70d 60d and Mk2. The 70 recorded the whole ceremony, creating new files after the 12 min limit. The 60d and Mk2 did not and I'm not sure why. Do they not create a new file like the 70? This worked fine before, not sure why it didn't work this time??? Any thoughts? My cards were Extreme 32 gbs.

Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,112
Re: Time limits on Canon 60d 70d Mk2 & 3???

According to the Canon EOS 70D Instruction Manual, p. 266, "Movie Shooting Time Limit. The maximum recording time of one movie clip is 29 min. 59 sec. If the movie shooting time reaches 29 min. 59 sec., the movie shooting will stop automatically. You can start shooting a movie again by pressing the <START/STOP> button."

That is what I'd expect. I find it hard to believe that your 70D recorded one video clip that was 30+ minutes long--unless you installed something like a Magic Lantern firmware hack? The 29:59 video clip length limit is something almost all still cameras impose to avoid an extra tax in the European Union. The only still camera that I'm aware that does not have this limit is the Panasonic GH4; as far as I know, Panasonic pays an extra tax. So are you sure that (1) you recorded a single video clip that was 30+ minutes long and (2) your 70D doesn't have a firmware hack?

By the way, the same manual page says that when a clip approaches 4 GB (not 12 minutes), it will start a new file, albeit seamlessly. If the sub-clips are 12 minutes, apparently that just happens to be what will fit in a little under 4 GB with the video settings you used. Based on the chart, it suggests you were probably using 1080p and IPB (instead of All-I) as your basic video settings.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S110 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
OP TrentSprenkle Forum Member • Posts: 71

Yes Naw!

The 70d created new files, seamlessly, so I was able to get the whole ceremony. The Mk2 and 60d, just stopped after 12 minutes.  I'll check both cams and see if they were NOT  et on ALL-I.  Luckily I was shooting stills with my Mk3 so I think a slideshow with minimal video will have to happen.  UGH!

Thanks for the help!  Love this website!

davebreal
davebreal Regular Member • Posts: 415
 davebreal's gear list:davebreal's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS M Olympus PEN E-PM2 Canon EOS 6D +21 more
LingoDingo Senior Member • Posts: 1,343

The Panasonic GH3 and the new GX80 / GX85 cameras do NOT have a time limit on how long they can shoot.

The new low cost Panasonic GX80 / GX85 camera also shoots 4K video and has a built-in 5-axis image stabilizer.

LingoDingo's gear list:LingoDingo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +23 more
Andrew S10 Contributing Member • Posts: 846

Since you're shooting all Canon, I'd strongly recommend looking into using MagicLantern. MagicLantern has a setting that restarts video recording after you hit the 4GB FAT32 file limit, bear in mind that not every iteration of MagicLantern is 100% stable, but I'm pretty sure there's a stable version for all of your Cameras.

Don't be afraid of using hacked firmware, a friend of mine who owns a video production company uses MagicLantern with his cameras on a daily basis.

OP TrentSprenkle Forum Member • Posts: 71

Andrew S10 wrote:

Since you're shooting all Canon, I'd strongly recommend looking into using MagicLantern. MagicLantern has a setting that restarts video recording after you hit the 4GB FAT32 file limit, bear in mind that not every iteration of MagicLantern is 100% stable, but I'm pretty sure there's a stable version for all of your Cameras.

Don't be afraid of using hacked firmware, a friend of mine who owns a video production company uses MagicLantern with his cameras on a daily basis.

Looks like Magic Lantern is in my future!  Thanks Andrew!

trailwalkerstudios New Member • Posts: 1

TrentSprenkle wrote:

Just shot a wedding with my 70d 60d and Mk2. The 70 recorded the whole ceremony, creating new files after the 12 min limit. The 60d and Mk2 did not and I'm not sure why. Do they not create a new file like the 70? This worked fine before, not sure why it didn't work this time??? Any thoughts? My cards were Extreme 32 gbs.

Hey!

I'm on a similar hunt with the 70D. I've had good luck with it but need to lockdown how it records and splits/stops. Is it due to the EXFAT or FAT32 format? Or IPB or ALL-I settings? What were your settings on the 70D for the wedding? I'm considering either getting another camera that doesn't stop or replacing the 70D. Maybe Magic Lantern but doesn't seem to be working like the others yet due to hardware restrictions. I really need continuous shooting and audio monitoring. RAW is a nice to have. I love Canon though for pictures. Nikon is good, but Canon nails it with the lenses I think.

sludge21017
sludge21017 Senior Member • Posts: 1,705

Cameras stop at 29:xx minutes to prevent being considered a camcorder.

ashton lamont Contributing Member • Posts: 511

trailwalkerstudios wrote:

TrentSprenkle wrote:

Hey!

I'm on a similar hunt with the 70D. I've had good luck with it but need to lockdown how it records and splits/stops. Is it due to the EXFAT or FAT32 format? Or IPB or ALL-I settings? What were your settings on the 70D for the wedding? I'm considering either getting another camera that doesn't stop or replacing the 70D. Maybe Magic Lantern but doesn't seem to be working like the others yet due to hardware restrictions. I really need continuous shooting and audio monitoring. RAW is a nice to have. I love Canon though for pictures. Nikon is good, but Canon nails it with the lenses I think.

You cannot avoid the 30 minute maximum unless you install Magic Lantern onto a compatible body.

Try using the App Canon Camera Connect with your smartphone instead. You still cannot avoid the 30min  maximum but you can start and stop the camera anytime it suits you using the app so you don't have to be within touching distance of the camera.

-- hide signature --

Pete

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads