A negative post!

Started Jul 12, 2016 | User reviews
photoholiko Senior Member • Posts: 2,183
A negative post!

I don't like being the bearer of bad news but sometimes it helps to share negative experiences with others who may be thinking of taking the same route.

I recently bought a Pentax Q7 as a fun camera and for long reach with adapted lenses. I received the camera with three PIXCO adapters (M39, OM & EOS), first the EOS adapter didn't work, the hole for the pin to secure the lens is in the wrong location or is not the right size, the other two adapters work but getting anything in focus is a challenge and that's with 50mm lenses and FP.

I thought that maybe the camera was defective so I bought a 02 (5-15) standard zoom and it focuses better, still nothing compared to M43.

I like the format, the whole thing fits in my pocket so it's great as a carry around camera but for adapted lenses I find it next to useless because it's hit or miss even though the screen is very sharp you don't get what you see.

So for any of you considering this format and having visions of adapting a 200mm lens for the equivalent of 940mm, good luck but for a pocket camera with native lenses it does the job.

photoholiko's gear list:photoholiko's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Epson PhotoPC 850 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE 7 Canon EOS 20D +29 more
Pentax Q7
12 megapixels • 3 screen • Compact sensor
Announced: Jun 12, 2013
photoholiko's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
weak
Action / sports
weak
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
acceptable
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Pentax Q7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
barondla Senior Member • Posts: 1,605
Re: A negative post!

The Q cameras and system are great. They work very well with their native lenses. Adapted lenses require practice and a little dedication. Larger lenses require even more effort.

With the Pentax DA*300, I use the 4X magnify on the LCD screen. Never had luck with focus peaking. Others love focus peaking. Everyone has different methods. I also use a reddot finder scope on the Q hotshoe to help find small birds. This takes practice, but it is much easier for me now.

The Q is the smallest interchangeable camera system. It is the swiss army knife of photography. I use it more than all of my 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras. I am preparing to buy a second Q. Give the Q some time.

-- hide signature --

barondla

OP photoholiko Senior Member • Posts: 2,183
Re: A negative post!

Thanks for this info. you obviously have more experience with the Q than I have which is what I probably need. I must confess I haven't tried the 4x magnification, the FP on the Q is not the best nor did I use a red dot scope which is almost a necessity with any format.

I am conducting further tests with the native lens and the results seem positive except that I need to familiarize with the function of the Q a little more. I like the camera for it's size and portability and the ease of operating it, I hope to soon be able to get the results I'm looking for knowing that the Q is capable of.

photoholiko's gear list:photoholiko's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Epson PhotoPC 850 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE 7 Canon EOS 20D +29 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads