A portrait photographers dream

Started Jul 11, 2016 | User reviews
Arpit Agrawal
Arpit Agrawal Junior Member • Posts: 25

While I don’t call myself an photographer. Neither do I have the pro skills, nor do I criticize pictures for basic concepts of colors, editing and don’t have any formal training experience. I just love photography and its more of art and rather than specs. A picture is all about experience. What my eyes see and the way image makes me feel is more important to me rather than the technicalities. Where most of the chart shooters talk about is specs, I talk about the perspective I can achieve using a specific lens.

As lot of amateurs I have bought a lot of lenses and sold them over a period of time. But there are few lenses in my arsenal which are meant to stay. I think 200mm f2 is a lens to die for , its is beyond a portrait lens, it’s does it all. It give us good working distance, less chromatic aberrations, sharper pictures and above all Beautiful pictures and color rendition. Apart from weight there is nothing wrong with this lens. Anyone planning to get this lens off course would be evaluating it against the most popular 70-200 f2.8 IS2 which I also have. 200f2 is now my most used portrait lens,Trust me I use this lens 99 percent of time at f2 because it is sharp enough and if I need to stop down I would use 70-200.I also have 85 1.2 which is a magical lens, but this lens is in a league of its own.

Below are the reason I love it and frankly so far no issues:-

· Great color rendition

· 5 stops IS

· Sharper corner to corner

· Absolute mind boggling bokeh

· I can take sharp pictures handheld at 1/10

· Build like a tank

· The Case is fantastic

And most importantly it takes awesome pictures.

I hope this helps to people who plan to buy, I personally suggest it is a big investment hence go to a store to try each of them.

Arpit Agrawal's gear list:Arpit Agrawal's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 6D +11 more
Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM
Telephoto prime lens • Canon EF • 2297B002
Announced: Jan 24, 2008
Arpit Agrawal's score
Average community score
Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM Pentax FA 70-200 F2.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 45,277
The "weapon" of choice...

Arpit Agrawal wrote:

While I don’t call myself an photographer. Neither do I have the pro skills, nor do I criticize pictures for basic concepts of colors, editing and don’t have any formal training experience. I just love photography and its more of art and rather than specs. A picture is all about experience. What my eyes see and the way image makes me feel is more important to me rather than the technicalities. Where most of the chart shooters talk about is specs, I talk about the perspective I can achieve using a specific lens.

As lot of amateurs I have bought a lot of lenses and sold them over a period of time. But there are few lenses in my arsenal which are meant to stay. I think 200mm f2 is a lens to die for , its is beyond a portrait lens, it’s does it all. It give us good working distance, less chromatic aberrations, sharper pictures and above all Beautiful pictures and color rendition. Apart from weight there is nothing wrong with this lens. Anyone planning to get this lens off course would be evaluating it against the most popular 70-200 f2.8 IS2 which I also have. 200f2 is now my most used portrait lens,Trust me I use this lens 99 percent of time at f2 because it is sharp enough and if I need to stop down I would use 70-200.I also have 85 1.2 which is a magical lens, but this lens is in a league of its own.

Below are the reason I love it and frankly so far no issues:-

· Great color rendition

· 5 stops IS

· Sharper corner to corner

· Absolute mind boggling bokeh

· I can take sharp pictures handheld at 1/10

· Build like a tank

· The Case is fantastic

And most importantly it takes awesome pictures.

I hope this helps to people who plan to buy, I personally suggest it is a big investment hence go to a store to try each of them.

...for Lisa Holloway when it comes to portraits:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1423283/0#13501397

kevindar
kevindar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,625
Re: The "weapon" of choice...

yes, Lisa, does magic with this lens, but honestly she was doing magic with the 135L and there was the russian photographer, who took images of kids with animals, whose work was truly awe inspiring with the 135L.

Being able to hand hold at 1/10 second is usually not a useful feature for a portrait lens. As long as you can handhold at 1/60, thats about what you need.

The lens, in capable hands is able to create fantastic images with great color and contrast and subject separation. at 200 mm, it can be too short for a lot of indoor use.

Its a lens for the guy who has it all, like the OP. already have the 70-200 2.8 IS, and the 85 1.2. at 5-6K price range, and as a long and heavy prime, it is certainly a bit short on utility, and value, but certainly high on image quality.

link to the russian mom

5d and 135L in able hands

kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EOS 80D Sony a7R II +25 more
LensWizard
LensWizard Senior Member • Posts: 1,512
Re: A portrait photographers dream

Nice write up and when I was snappin a few photos with canon, this was always one of my weapons of choice..

-- hide signature --

Canon XLH1 Video, Profoto AcuteR2400, Eizo 27Inch CG277 Monitor, MSI GT80S Laptop, MSI Vortex G-65 Desktop, Wimberly Mk2 Head, Gitzo 5540LS Tripods (2), Arca Swiss Monoball Head, Macbook Pro 15inch Retna Display,Arca Swiss C1 Cube Head, Apple Mac Pro (6) Core 3.5GHZ Dual AMD700's

LensWizard's gear list:LensWizard's gear list
Leica SL2 Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1Ds Leica SL (Typ 601) +26 more
Arpit Agrawal
OP Arpit Agrawal Junior Member • Posts: 25

Agree I enjoy this lens a lot

Canon EOS M Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 6D +11 more
Arpit Agrawal

When I shoot Wedding candida at church from

a distance where light is a limitation it's good to

get sharp photos at slow shutter speed.

i loved the post you talked about though

andyus08 Contributing Member • Posts: 634

Understood. We use this lens for shooting wedding. Amazing lens.  We also use 135L and we wish Canon introduce 135L IS in the near future.

Enjoy.

kevindar
kevindar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,625

Arpit Agrawal wrote:

When I shoot Wedding candida at church from

a distance where light is a limitation it's good to

get sharp photos at slow shutter speed.

i loved the post you talked about though

though not impossible, its hard to take photos of people who look sharp, even on a tripod, at 1/10 of second.  the people do tend to move.

kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EOS 80D Sony a7R II +25 more
RHWeber
RHWeber Contributing Member • Posts: 702

the 200 2.8 is also I great portrait lens and 1/6 the price and it is a lot lighter and easier to carry around. I find its images as sharp as my 135 2.0.

-- hide signature --

bweberphotography.com

RHWeber's gear list:RHWeber's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 100S +10 more
gimp_dad Senior Member • Posts: 2,379

RHWeber wrote:

the 200 2.8 is also I great portrait lens and 1/6 the price and it is a lot lighter and easier to carry around. I find its images as sharp as my 135 2.0.

My experience doesn't agree with the last statement. I have the 200/2.8LII and the 135/2L. The 135 is sharper and has prettier bokeh from my experience. The 200/2.8LII is not as good as the 70-200/2.8LII at 200 in terms of sharpness or bokeh (obviously bokeh is subjective but this is me).

All that said, I agree with your first statement that the 200/2.8LII is a great portrait lens. And while I wouldn't choose it over the 70-200/2.8LII, the 135/2L or the 200/2L (if I had this last lens), I would not hesitate to use it and personally prefer it to the 85/1.2LII. Of course the 85 can accomplish amazing things in situations where you simply need a shorter focal length while still achieving stunning subject separation.

I actually have no good reason to keep the 200/2.8LII but am just too lazy to sell it. However, if it were my only lens, I would still find a great deal of satisfaction in shooting with it all the time.

LensWizard
LensWizard Senior Member • Posts: 1,512

RHWeber wrote:

Those whom purchase this lens are not concerned that another lens is 1/10th or whatever the cost of the 200/f/2. There is bragging rights involved in owning some of the top end optics..

-- hide signature --

Canon XLH1 Video, Profoto AcuteR2400, Eizo 27Inch CG277 Monitor, MSI GT80S Laptop, MSI Vortex G-65 Desktop, Wimberly Mk2 Head, Gitzo 5540LS Tripods (2), Arca Swiss Monoball Head, Macbook Pro 15inch Retna Display,Arca Swiss C1 Cube Head, Apple Mac Pro (6) Core 3.5GHZ Dual AMD700's

LensWizard's gear list:LensWizard's gear list
Leica SL2 Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1Ds Leica SL (Typ 601) +26 more
Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,961

gimp_dad wrote:

RHWeber wrote:

My experience doesn't agree with the last statement. I have the 200/2.8LII and the 135/2L. The 135 is sharper and has prettier bokeh from my experience.

I have switched back and forth between these two lenses on shoots and wide open they look absolutely identical to me in terms of sharpness, color and contrast. I couldn't tell which image came from which lens. I can't tell any major differences in bokeh either but maybe there's something in the blurriness that I'm not seeing.

I've noticed that the 135mm f2 can have green fringe while the 200mm f2.8 can have purple fringe. It's very rare though.

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D X +16 more
gimp_dad Senior Member • Posts: 2,379

Scott Larson wrote:

gimp_dad wrote:

RHWeber wrote:

My experience doesn't agree with the last statement. I have the 200/2.8LII and the 135/2L. The 135 is sharper and has prettier bokeh from my experience.

I have switched back and forth between these two lenses on shoots and wide open they look absolutely identical to me in terms of sharpness, color and contrast. I couldn't tell which image came from which lens. I can't tell any major differences in bokeh either but maybe there's something in the blurriness that I'm not seeing.

I've noticed that the 135mm f2 can have green fringe while the 200mm f2.8 can have purple fringe. It's very rare though.

Interesting. I actually did a head and shoulders portrait bake-off with those two and many other lenses on my 5DSR. Basically, 135/2L was first, 70-200/2.8LII (at 200) was second, 85/1.2LII was third and then I started losing interest in who was fourth vs fifth, but 200/2.8LII and 70-200/2.8LIS (at 200) were both in similar contention as fourth and fifth.

Zooming in on the eye to 100% on a 32" 4k monitor at full 50MP resolution was decisively better in terms of sharpness on my 135/2L compared to my 200/2.8LII.  Looking at the full image filling the screen but not zoomed in, it just looked better but it was harder to tell exactly until zooming in to see why.

Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,961

Not everyone shoots with 50 megapixels. I certainly don't need to see hairs sticking out of pores on people's foreheads.

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D X +16 more
Rey66
Rey66 Senior Member • Posts: 1,575

Title is only half true.. I am a Sony shooter and I have also acquire and sold many Sony native lens..After using this lens, it becomes my primary lens for everything and bought a cheap canon 35mm f2 USM for indoors..This also the lens of choice for medium macro with 2X TC..

Rey66's gear list:Rey66's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a7R IV Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +5 more
Arpit Agrawal

Agree with your comment. The 135 mm is a gorgeous lens just needs IS to make it a jewel.

Arpit Agrawal

Its a fantastic lens, but i prefer the 200mm f2 for the color rendition, contrast , edge to edge sharpness and rendering at f2.

I shoot at f2 99.99 percent of time with that lens.If i want f2.8 next lens to go is 70-200 f2.8 IS2

1Dx4me
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 11,526

Scott Larson wrote:

Not everyone shoots with 50 megapixels. I certainly don't need to see hairs sticking out of pores on people's foreheads.

maybe, but if you need cropping, the large RAW files will give you lots of latitude! that  is why i am going to get a 5Ds/r for the exact purpose, especially birding!

Rey66
Rey66 Senior Member • Posts: 1,575

1Dx4me wrote:

Scott Larson wrote:

maybe, but if you need cropping, the large RAW files will give you lots of latitude! that is why i am going to get a 5Ds/r for the exact purpose, especially birding!

this would be a killer combo!

Rey66's gear list:Rey66's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a7R IV Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads