Saturn--FZ70

Started Jul 7, 2016 | Discussions
Dan W Veteran Member • Posts: 3,411
Saturn--FZ70

I pointed the FZ70 at Saturn tonight and this is what I got. This was a RAW image, imported into Photos on my Mac, then PS13. I did not use a tripod so the IS was very effective.

Dan

Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Nikon D7000 +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Erik Ohlson
Erik Ohlson Forum Pro • Posts: 21,618
Re: Saturn--FZ70

Impressive.

Rings and all.

When I saw "Saturn" in your title, I assumed that the image would have been taken, by the FZ70, through a telescope. Not so - really good and such amazing OIS!!!

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Jack Brandt217
Jack Brandt217 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,826

Wow Dan, that's an amazing shot considering it is handheld and without a telescope.

Jack

MarioV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,785

a good start, Dan.  Try using Spot or Centre weighted metering so you're not exposing for the whole sky.  Dont be afraid to use jpg instead and some digital zoom on planets.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D5200 Canon EOS M100 +1 more
OP Dan W Veteran Member • Posts: 3,411
Saturn

Thanks everyone, for your comments.

Mario, I've experimented with different exposures, amount and types of zoom etc. This is the best I've gotten, so far. But I'm sure there's room for improvement.

Dan

Canon PowerShot D10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Nikon D7000 +2 more
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 4,589
Re: Saturn

Dan W wrote:

...I've experimented with different exposures, amount and types of zoom etc. This is the best I've gotten, so far. But I'm sure there's room for improvement.

Very good results considering the handheld 1/30th at 35mm equiv. 1260mm; even with the IS you held the camera very steady to get shot.

Probably the item that would help the most is to use a tripod to be able use the FZ70's base ISO setting (hence slower shutter speed) to keep image noise to lowest level possible.

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS +14 more

Thanks, Jon.

Dan

Jon_T wrote:

Dan W wrote:

...I've experimented with different exposures, amount and types of zoom etc. This is the best I've gotten, so far. But I'm sure there's room for improvement.

Probably the item that would help the most is to use a tripod to be able use the FZ70's base ISO setting (hence slower shutter speed) to keep image noise to lowest level possible.

Cheers,
Jon

Completely agree.  I use a cheap Slik F740 tripod which does the trick.

Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D5200 Canon EOS M100 +1 more
salbano
salbano Contributing Member • Posts: 600

A surprisingly good result, I'm impressed, especially considering how you achieved this shot!

Yes, you can put your camera on a tripod, and lower the ISO which will result in a slower shutter speed.  If planets are anything like stars you'll need to be careful about too long of a shutter speed because of the earth's rotation.  Stars go from points of light to oblong blobs, the same may happen to planets.

I'm going to need to try this with my RX100 and 8" telescope!

-- hide signature --
 salbano's gear list:salbano's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Nikon D7200 Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +1 more

Thanks. Yes, I've experienced those oblong blobs with long shutter speeds!

Dan

salbano wrote:

A surprisingly good result, I'm impressed, especially considering how you achieved this shot!

Yes, you can put your camera on a tripod, and lower the ISO which will result in a slower shutter speed. If planets are anything like stars you'll need to be careful about too long of a shutter speed because of the earth's rotation. Stars go from points of light to oblong blobs, the same may happen to planets.

Faint stars and nebula are the reason for long exposures which cause trails without a tracking mount. The brighter planets dont warrant such exposures so trails arent an issue. Stacking is a better way to improve signal/noise without overexposure.

I'm going to need to try this with my RX100 and 8" telescope!

Great idea! I completely forgot to try my TZ100 with my 8" scope..and its winter now.

In the mean time, here is a single shot of Saturn with my P900. 1.4x digital zoom and cropped. At 8 o'clock, you can see Saturn's shadow cast on the ring behind it.

old jim
old jim Veteran Member • Posts: 4,907

Great capture Dan!! Congratulations:-).

Warmest regards,

-- hide signature --

DP Review - Where else?
Old Jim

old jim's gear list:old jim's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2

That's very nice. I tried again last night, using a tripod and various settings. I wasn't happy with my digital zoom results but here's a jpeg without digital zoom that was better than my RAW photo from the night before.

Dan

Thanks, Jim!

Dan

edhume
edhume Contributing Member • Posts: 815

And it stands up to pixel-peeping. The surrounding stars come out when you look at the original in the original size. Nice steady hands.

edhume's gear list:edhume's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Silkypix Developer Studio Pro Corel Aftershot Pro +8 more

Thank you, Ed.

Dan

Akkerman54
Akkerman54 Regular Member • Posts: 116

Dan W wrote:

I pointed the FZ70 at Saturn tonight and this is what I got. This was a RAW image, imported into Photos on my Mac, then PS13. I did not use a tripod so the IS was very effective.

Dan

Hi Dan,

impressive shot.

If you have a teleconverter, try to take some shots with the FZ70 + TC and then stack the images using a stacking software like registax6.

Back in May 2015 I took some saturn-shots with my FZ200 and 3 (!) TCs on it. After registax6 and PSE-adjustments , this turned out:

Kind regards,

Akkerman54

Akkerman54's gear list:Akkerman54's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000

That's a great shot. I don't have a TC but I'll look for one now.

Thanks.

Dan

wboeck New Member • Posts: 2

Dan W wrote:

I pointed the FZ70 at Saturn tonight and this is what I got. This was a RAW image, imported into Photos on my Mac, then PS13. I did not use a tripod so the IS was very effective.

Dan

Dan,

What settings and mode did you use for this? Did you use manual focus?

Thanks

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I did this a year ago so I don't recall the settings. I may have used manual focus and pushed the focus button to achieve a focus. That can work well.

I was probably in manual mode so I could get the shutter speed that I wanted although shutter priority would have done the same thing.

Dan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads