underwhelmed

Started Jul 6, 2016 | User reviews
Loved
Loved Forum Member • Posts: 55
underwhelmed

the model i received (non grey import the AF was akin to a vivitar 28-80mm - i was shocked! i also found it did not 'grab' the AF was unreliable one fist attempt (roaming alot more than any other pro lens ie owned )

After using Canon L 85mm and Carl Zeiss 85mm this is very plasticky in comparison. Bokeh is indeed delicious.

me? - after 1 day-  i returned it, and am sticking with EF mount on metabones Ultra adapter (ie canon 85mm f1.2 L @ f0.9) - im holding out for the 70-200mm with hope of better AF and future firmware updates

Loved's gear list:Loved's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS +7 more
Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM
Telephoto prime lens • Sony FE
Announced: Feb 3, 2016
Loved's score
Average community score
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,458
Re: underwhelmed

Using a EUR 2000 lens for 1 day and dismissing it, does not sound very solid. Perhaps you were underwhelmed because the AF settings on the camera were not properly set for the subject matter?

It seems to me a classic case of biased comparison between a new tool, with which you are not familiarized, and an older, more familiar tool.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-E4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +1 more
Loved
OP Loved Forum Member • Posts: 55

... maybe part of this is indeed correct

i just expected more thant a canon EF lens was offering using a speedbooster (i can forgive it 'not getting it right first time') either way its not a love affair as it was with the Sony GM 24-70mm f2.8 that i purchased - id recommend that whole heartily (wish it had the aperture ring though- that is a good part to this lens!!)

Loved's gear list:Loved's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS +7 more
Jeff2013
Jeff2013 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,082

It is interesting how we can all have such different experiences with the same equipment.

After extensively testing my GM 85 against my Canon 85 f1.2, I sold the Canon lens. The GM beat it in every way.

I generally shoot these lenses at f1.4 to f2.0. While the f1.2 lens was almost comparable in central sharpness, the off-center sharpness was significantly worse. This does not work well when placing the subject focus point in accordance with the Golden Ratio or Rule of Thirds.

As a final note, I have well over 1000 shots on the Zony, Nikon, Canon and Sigma 85mm f1.2/1.4's, individually, and the GM 85 blows them all away!

-- hide signature --
 Jeff2013's gear list:Jeff2013's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +9 more
ecsh1 Regular Member • Posts: 496

I dont know how anyone could competently test a lens in one day to make a decision. Sounds like GAS, and then return to me.

ecsh1's gear list:ecsh1's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* +13 more
SilvanBromide Senior Member • Posts: 4,653

Loved wrote:

the model i received (non grey import the AF was akin to a vivitar 28-80mm - i was shocked! i also found it did not 'grab' the AF was unreliable one fist attempt (roaming alot more than any other pro lens ie owned )

After using Canon L 85mm and Carl Zeiss 85mm this is very plasticky in comparison. Bokeh is indeed delicious.

me? - after 1 day- i returned it, and am sticking with EF mount on metabones Ultra adapter (ie canon 85mm f1.2 L @ f0.9) - im holding out for the 70-200mm with hope of better AF and future firmware updates

Man, you're flapping around in the breeze!

You did not give yourself time to become properly familiar and acquainted with what by my reckoning is among the best lenses (possibly *the* best) I've had the privilege to shoot.

Most of us, finding ourselves in such a situation, would first question our skills and approach (and view it as a learning opportunity) rather than instantly 'blaming the tool'.

Instead you sent it back after a single day during which you failed to figure out how to get it to work for you and instead you decided to stay put with your familiar (though IMO inferior) gear.

And now you're posting about it as though your impetuous turnabout was somehow a revelation worth sharing with the world. Alas I suspect it may reveal as much (perhaps more) about you and your over-hasty approach as it does about the lens.

-- hide signature --

Former Canon, Nikon and Pentax user.
DPR Gallery: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4331313816

SilvanBromide's gear list:SilvanBromide's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony a7 III +25 more
RE Alpha
RE Alpha Contributing Member • Posts: 791

I actually found this 85/1.4 GM to have very precise AF on the A7rii, even op 1.4 (using eye-AF) and actually nailing the focus on eye instead of the lashes (or anything else). If it were slow, tat may also be the body, not the lens. There may be some niggles, but built quality isn't one of them (my opinion, of course).

RE Alpha's gear list:RE Alpha's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +6 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,067

Huh interesting - what kind of conditions did you find AF not great? Low light etc?

-- hide signature --

See my work and gear blog at http://www.sungparkphotography.com

abracadabenhotmailfr Contributing Member • Posts: 802

Did you make sure you ran 3.2? I had same issue and upgraded and it was night and day. Focus is now fast and no accurate. doesn't breath anymore either.

Magnar W
Magnar W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,669
Just a comment

Loved wrote:

I immediately went to you blog to see your work, and it is indeed very good. So I think you know what to expect from a lens.

me? - after 1 day- i returned it, and am sticking with EF mount on metabones Ultra adapter (ie canon 85mm f1.2 L @ f0.9) - im holding out for the 70-200mm with hope of better AF and future firmware updates

I agree with those saying that you can't learn a lens to know just after one day. A friend of me, a very good photographer, says he need 60 seconds to decide if a camera or a lens is up to his standards or needs ... well, we disagree on this! 

For me, the right lens have to feeel "right". This is just as important as pure optical performance. But if a piece of photographic gear does not suit my needs, this is not the same as "poor" or "bad" or "underwhelming". Then the item is just not meant for me, but the same product might be great for others.

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
Magnar W

SilvanBromide wrote:

[ ... ]

Looks like he is not the only one flapping around!

Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
SilvanBromide Senior Member • Posts: 4,653

Magnar W wrote:

SilvanBromide wrote:

[ ... ]

Cute, Magnar, and thanks for the levity. : )

It did take me several decades to work my way through those various brands, however. So perhaps we could say I was 'flapping' in extreme slow motion...

; )

-- hide signature --

DPR Gallery: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4331313816

SilvanBromide's gear list:SilvanBromide's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony a7 III +25 more
Magnar W

SilvanBromide wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

Cute, Magnar, and thanks for the levity. : )

It did take me several decades to work my way through those various brands, however. So perhaps we could say I was 'flapping' in extreme slow motion...

Could not resist! Been there, done that myself!

Also through: Never more, and then som years later...  

Luis Gabriel Photography
Luis Gabriel Photography Senior Member • Posts: 2,364

ecsh1 wrote:

I dont know how anyone could competently test a lens in one day to make a decision. Sounds like GAS, and then return to me.

Indeed this "experience" goes against every other I have read specially comparing to the Canon but oh well.

Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list:Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 35mm F1.2 DG DN +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads