nx500 repair

Started Jul 4, 2016 | Discussions
vasile Contributing Member • Posts: 575
nx500 repair

Thought I'd share: I just received my own NX500 that went out for repairs (as I mentioned previously I could not wait for the return of the burner so I started to play on my own cam) and guess what: it now has the same MAC address as the burner.

So it looks like:

1. I sent in the burner and they replaced the mainboard (according to their report). For this one they set the MAC address on the new mainboard to the original one.
  2. [hypothesis: they then sent the original mainboard to some Samsung 2nd level centre where they probably saw it was soft bricked so they recovered it]
  3. I sent my own cam to Samsung and they replaced the mainboard (according to their report) - and they did not bother to re-set the MAC so it was left with the original one.
  4. So I end up with two cameras that share the same MAC address.

Awkward - they won't be able to simultaneously connect to WiFi

But this shows that Samsung probably operates a two-level service centre to ensure fast turnaround: first they simply replace the component that does not work and then (probably some more advanced) engineers test and recover the replaced components.

vasile's gear list:vasile's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +1 more
Samsung NX500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tr13 Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: nx500 repair

Well, MAC address is usually in setting area, if it was bricked, how they got it?

Much more simple explanation is that they have special repair mode with some mini loader and just reflashed your MB.  They just wrote that they replaced it as they need to write affected part.

Another simple explanation is that they just have access to manufacturer database about cameras (based on serial num) and it can have old MAC.

tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,232

Just think to the wonders you could achieve if only you had access to their tools!

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
ttbek Veteran Member • Posts: 4,869

tr13 wrote:

Well, MAC address is usually in setting area, if it was bricked, how they got it?

No, it's usually in ROM.  You're probably thinking of spoofed MAC addresses.

Much more simple explanation is that they have special repair mode with some mini loader and just reflashed your MB. They just wrote that they replaced it as they need to write affected part.

Another simple explanation is that they just have access to manufacturer database about cameras (based on serial num) and it can have old MAC.

ttbek's gear list:ttbek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon EOS 5D Samsung NX300 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Samsung NX30 +37 more
ttbek Veteran Member • Posts: 4,869

I'm not sure if that's worth complaining to them or not... but it's definitely not supposed to happen.

ttbek's gear list:ttbek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon EOS 5D Samsung NX300 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Samsung NX30 +37 more
OP vasile Contributing Member • Posts: 575

tr13 wrote:

Well, MAC address is usually in setting area, if it was bricked, how they got it?

Much more simple explanation is that they have special repair mode with some mini loader and just reflashed your MB. They just wrote that they replaced it as they need to write affected part.

No. The double MAC is the one I put in my dnsmasq.conf when I configured the burner hostname and IP address in my router.

It is now definitely the same in both cams and it is NOT a new one - the burner  camera was new and it came with it.

vasile's gear list:vasile's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +1 more
tr13 Junior Member • Posts: 31

ttbek wrote:

tr13 wrote:

No, it's usually in ROM. You're probably thinking of spoofed MAC addresses.

Who told you this? And where you found any ROM in this cameras?

MAC as many other settings is set during flashing firmware on factory.

Peter Her New Member • Posts: 13

Hello Vasile,

I have an NX500 that I absolutely love.

It won't power on at all and at times would just display a greyish screen only, but in this latter case i wouldnt be able to power it off by the Switch (I have to remove battery). One single time lately, it showed me its nice amoled display, but it did not last long

Batteries are fully charged, tried with/without Lens attached.

I wonder if replacing the mainboard would fix it.

I'm afraid that ordering a mainboard (found couple on Aliexpress under $100) may not eventually fix it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards.

GiM_6x Regular Member • Posts: 286

The MAC address is - at hardware level - unique for all the Earth / world. Each network's chip has MAC address unique burned, in its chip's factory, and it is not possible an "update". You just replace the chip...

When BIOS load - system boot - a soft component may "swap" the hardware address with other setup. This way you may change some hardware without modifying your network configuration - settings.

I presume this is happening. It should be easy to re-set the setting, but you need the tool.

Since you do not know which one is the culprit, I advise contacting Samsung to fix their mistake, or study the "surce code" available from Samsung to understand how it is working and "possible" fix it yourself.

As for me, I should take the first option, Samsung service.

GiM_6x's gear list:GiM_6x's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 ED OIS Samsung 16-50mm F2.0-2.8
otto k Senior Member • Posts: 2,190

Vasile is long gone, Peter was necroposting with unrelated issue.

FWIW, regarding MAC address, it's fairly trivial to change it on NX500 (and the change persists reboot) as there is an actual command for .adj file that does it. I've done it and was "lucky" enough to set the wrong bit that says it's temporary address so I had to reconnect to Wi-Fi AP every time manually.

If you really want to know, here is snippet from github.com and the rest of the information is in the service manual

Accessing CS Mode
Don't do it.

Really, if you really need to disable WiFi or change BT MAC, or change shipping country - you will find needed information from service manual. I would stay clear.

That said, the procedure is the same, just the name of the file is nx_cs.adj and adjustment script files should have names like adjustment/nx500/7.shipment_country.adj and the like. Without those files you can only disable WiFi.

otto k's gear list:otto k's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED +6 more
Peter Her New Member • Posts: 13

Hello,
Thanks you Otto for the headsup.
Indeed, my issue is irrelevant to Vasile's initial thread. However, i'm looking into replacing the mainboard, if it would be worth and if it would require some more trickier steps actions such as calibration, ....

GiM_6x Regular Member • Posts: 286

Thank you Otto.
I won't get into it, I know is hard if do not understand the source code.
I worked only machine code (no assembler, just codes from instruction book), Basic (DOS), Fortran (with punch card), JS and HTML. Long time no see.

I have only NX1+PG+lenses, still good, also being on manual the command dials (T, A, ISO) skip often to change the value, I need turning+ on.

I did not know Vasile is off.

GiM_6x's gear list:GiM_6x's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 ED OIS Samsung 16-50mm F2.0-2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads