Flashpoint XPLOR 600 or Rovelight 600 w/ Yongnuo triggers

Started Jun 28, 2016 | Discussions
dfwphoto Regular Member • Posts: 129
Flashpoint XPLOR 600 or Rovelight 600 w/ Yongnuo triggers

Does anyone know if the Yongnuo triggers' HSS and TTL functions would work on the Rovelight?

I'm debating on which to get  since I already have the Yongnuo YN-622n kit.  Can I get the same functionality out of the Rovelight and save some $$?

T

ScratchDisk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,721
Re: Flashpoint XPLOR 600 or Rovelight 600 w/ Yongnuo triggers

Hi,

" .. if the Yongnuo triggers' HSS and TTL functions would work on the Rovelight? .. "

Not really & No.

The Rovelight can do long duration Supersync when driven by 'HSS-like' early timing from your 622s. It's not pulsing HSS - but it can be very effective - I use my identical Jinbie HD600 up to 1/8000th with my Odins. There's no TTL with the Rovelight - ever.

The XPLore 600 & Godox rebranded triggers offer pulsing HSS (but apparently don't have quite the power of the Rovelight/Jinbei). The TTL version offers both M & TTL with the correct triggers.

ScratchDisk's gear list:ScratchDisk's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M5
OP dfwphoto Regular Member • Posts: 129

Ok sounds good.  So my Yongnuo 622 triggers will NOT cause the Rovelight to have HSS and TTL.

Sounds like the XPLOR is going to win out here. Now I just have to figure out which portable softbox to get.  Suggestions are welcomed.

MadManAce Regular Member • Posts: 239

dfwphoto wrote:

Ok sounds good. So my Yongnuo 622 triggers will NOT cause the Rovelight to have HSS and TTL.

Sounds like the XPLOR is going to win out here. Now I just have to figure out which portable softbox to get. Suggestions are welcomed.

Using the Yongnuo 622 trigger in combo with the Rovelight can get HSS with speeds up to 1/8000.  But it will not do TTL, my XPLOR 600 just arrived and I have not compared power output at HSS to yet.

Background on HSS (Pulsing), Supersync & ODS etc
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 4,832

dfwphoto wrote:

Does anyone know if the Yongnuo triggers' HSS and TTL functions would work on the Rovelight?

I'm debating on which to get since I already have the Yongnuo YN-622n kit. Can I get the same functionality out of the Rovelight and save some $$

Take a look here. This a good article comparing the two. I found it very informative.

http://www.fjhphoto.com/blog/2016/5/6/that-xplor-strobe

Steve W

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R +34 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,762

dfwphoto wrote:

I'm debating on which to get since I already have the Yongnuo YN-622n kit. Can I get the same functionality out of the Rovelight and save some $$?

T

I believe they will work HSS but not TTL.

OP dfwphoto Regular Member • Posts: 129

Steve W wrote:

dfwphoto wrote:

I'm debating on which to get since I already have the Yongnuo YN-622n kit. Can I get the same functionality out of the Rovelight and save some $$

Take a look here. This a good article comparing the two. I found it very informative.

http://www.fjhphoto.com/blog/2016/5/6/that-xplor-strobe

Steve W

From the article above:

"You need a pair of Yn622 Yongnuo triggers and a PC sync cord to use HSS with the Rovelight"

I have not heard this yet. So it looks like pretty much no one knows until you try it out.

" .. From the article above:

"You need a pair of Yn622 Yongnuo triggers and a PC sync cord to use HSS with the Rovelight"

I have not heard this yet. So it looks like pretty much no one knows until you try it out. .."

Hi, This setup works to offer above max sync speed shooting with the Rovelight/Jinbei. It is very well documented in threads here:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35

As explained above, the Rovelight/Jinbei doesn't do the Pulsing type of long flash illumination, it does the long decay type of long duration flash illumination. I use my Rovelight/Jinbei HD600 with Odin triggers, which similarly to the 622s, work brilliantly up to 1/8000th sec. The Rovelight/Jinbei, when set to its 'H' setting, and when triggered early by either 622s or Odins etc, works well but inherently has a flash illumination Gradient (darker at the top in landscape) which most people find not to be a deal breaker. (Any remote manual flash power fraction setting is done separately, 'pre-shot', using the included Jinbei radio sender.)

The Godox 600 / Flashpoint XPLOR600 etc offer the pulsing type of above max sync speed cover, giving almost no Gradient. The TTL versions offer TTL too of course.

Rovelight/Jinbei HD600 flash duration info here:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1439469&page=1

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads